Is there such a cover? (and a bonus prefold question!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, so I'm still on the quest for the best CD solution for DS. Thanks to some suggestions here, I've revisited fitteds and prefolds and cloth/fleece and lo, his skin DOES look better. I'm not sure what's changed (or whether he could have been in fitteds all along and it was the cover that was the problem - argh!).

So at home, I have him in a fitted or prefold and either fleece pants or a wool soaker combined with EC. He still gets a bit red, but he's lost the rash in his leg creases and on his buttocks. Yay! I'm fine with our home stash in terms of covers.

For going out though, I'm apprehensive about using fleece/wool. We live rural, so any car trip is at least 30 minutes - that's a lot of compression for fleece and wool. Is there such a thing as a cover that doesn't have exposed PUL AND has a material that doesn't get wet? Flip covers aren't working, SWWs have given him the burning rash. I want something very breathable, but I'm not sure if a non-PUL, non-wool or fleece cover exists. I can use a pocket when we're out, but if there's another option I'd like to explore it.

Bonus prefold question: he's in Premium sized prefolds right now. I use a newspaper fold, and have to fan out the top to get it to meet the back - it's beginning to be a little tricky to get them around him properly. Are toddler-sized prefolds much bigger? And is it even worth getting any or am I going to start cursing prefolds soon anyway because of toddler wriggles? (i.e., should I be on the lookout for sales on fitteds?)

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#2 of 12 Old 12-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Bummis and Dappi both make a nylon pull-on cover. They are thin and squishy (they look poofy on but since they are one layer of nylon, they squish really well under clothes). I've never had any compression leaking with them and I don't think there's any PUL in them since they are nylon. 

For prefolds, you might want to look at Green Mountain Diapers Brown-Edged prefolds.(Scroll down a bit - there is a picture of the GMD prefolds against the original green-edged and blue-edged prefolds.) They are the same length, from what I can tell, as blue premium prefolds but they are wider. When mine got wiggly, I used a mix of easy-to-put-on diapers (fitteds or pockets) and prefolds. The prefolds weren't too hard to get on, but once in a while it was, so it was nice to have a fitted on hand. 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 12 Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 AM

Imse Vimse Organic Cotton are just amazing. My 2 DDs are rashy too and the IV OC cover was the only one that didn't give them that welty rash around the thighs. It has a tiny bit of exposed PUL on the gusset but it never seemed to irritate them, don't know if it was the placement or if it's a better grade of PUL. I've tried most of the covers out there and the IVs are the best I've found. They also do a wool cover that is fabulous and might actually last a car ride if there was enough diaper underneath!

#4 of 12 Old 12-05-2010, 05:39 AM

these diapers on Etsy are a bit bulky, but have no exposed PUL - they are a pocket diaper. it is fleece on the inside and it feels like a flannel on the outside.

I find they work great, it comes with a terry looking trifold to stuff with, but you could use a prefold instead if you prefer. Plus I think her prices are really reasonable.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 12 Old 12-05-2010, 01:35 PM

What MLW said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

Bummis and Dappi both make a nylon pull-on cover. They are thin and squishy (they look poofy on but since they are one layer of nylon, they squish really well under clothes). I've never had any compression leaking with them and I don't think there's any PUL in them since they are nylon.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#6 of 12 Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Blueberry minkies don't have exposed pul. I got 2 from the clearance page for pretty cheap. It's fabricy feeling, but I don't know what it is.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#7 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've been in contact with Bummis to find out more about their pull-up nylon pant (their Bummis Original wrap is also nylon). I'm going to give one of each a try. And I'm going to look at these other options too. I wish it was easier to get GMD prefolds in Canada.. I am going to have to see if they can ship to friends in the US if they're coming up soon.

Many thanks again,

Perdita

#8 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 AM

The Wonder wrap!  it has no exposed pul. its a gooder. http://www.rootedinstincts.ca/item_191/Wonder-Wraps.htm -  this company is in Regina, SK, Canada!

We also use Thirsties and Motherease covers, i guess they both have exposed PUL tho... 

However, I am finding that the prefold diapers are the only ones in my collection that are not stinky now... the fitted diapers are really stinky even tho i have stripped them.  They are second hand tho...

its good to have some around!  We have a big variety of covers and insides.  

definitely get some bigger prefolds... and a couple fitteds!

Momma to little Atlin Feb2010dust.gif2nd on its way

#9 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM

I've had my guy in good wool for half a day before. With enough absorbency, its not an issue. Babyology is a great nearly bulletproof cover at a great cost. Pipers closet also makes a bulletproof wrap for cheap. I love them both.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Get a nylon cover.  I have one plain white medium snapping cover that Blue Penguin used to make.  That would be good.

Don't get toddler prefolds - way too big.  Try the ooey fold (check youtube) and/or toddler snappis.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#11 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Nylon covers are great, Imse Vimse are wonderful (but expensive), Blue Penguin makes an Elan cover that is cotton with treated fibers that is very very soft.

Try the prefolds at Nicki's diapers, they fit just like GMD's, as do the ones at Diaper Junction.  All more square prefolds than long.  A regular "large" instead of "x-large" (toddler) would work with those.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#12 of 12 Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions - I'd missed that there were some new comments.I have contacted Bummis to find out more about their nylon pant - and their original Bummis cover is also nylon. I'm going to try them both, and I'll look at the other options here too. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page