rashy with prefolds. Laundering advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first two were in pocket dipes with polyester inserts.  Finally had it with the stink, so we are doing all cotton prefolds this go around.  Our little guy seems a little rashy, though, and I'm wondering if I need to launder them differently.  Any advice?  Currently we store the dirty ones in a dry pail, then we do cold rinse, wash on hot with All Free and Clear, and then another rinse.  Dry on hot.  So, give me your best ideas on how to make our dipes less irritating for our tiny guy.  Thanks!

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 PM

ive come to realize that no matter how i do my diaper laundry, its the actual wetness that gives my boys a rash. not a bad rash, just red-ish.

when i am super on top of it, the redness goes away. then of course, i let the time between dipe changes go longer and longer and the redness comes back.

sigh.

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#3 of 8 Old 12-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Hey there, the rashes might be due to the detergent you're using. Bummis has put out a great list of detergents and why or why not they should be used on cloth here: http://www.bummis.com/media/detergent-information.pdf  All Free and Clear could be adding residues to your diapers that can cause irritation to sensitive skin.  You can also try adding a fleece liner to your diapers (I jsut bought some cheap fleexe at the fabric store and cut it up myself) which will add more of a stay dry liner in your diapers more similar to that of the pocket diapers you used on your other boys.

#4 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Our pf's will cause our ds to get rashy too if i leave them on him for a bit after he is wet.  I agree with previous posters that it could help to put a fleece liner or doubler in there.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#5 of 8 Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 PM

and we wash with charlie's soap, so I'm sure he's just getting a rash b/c of the wetness of the diaper and not our detergent...

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#6 of 8 Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Actually, Charlie's soap causes major rash for a minority of babies.  All Free and Clear leaves residue.  My guess is that it is a combo of wrong detergent, too much detergent, and just being wet.  I'd switch detergents, use less detergent, rinse more, and try fleece liners.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#7 of 8 Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 AM
myk

and, try stripping the diapers in case there is residue.

January 2011
#8 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

Actually, Charlie's soap causes major rash for a minority of babies.  

this is good to know...

although in our case, i don't think its the soap...

Tags
Cloth Diapers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page