econobum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
myk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

has anyone used the Econobum diapers (prefolds and adjustable covers)? they seem quite cost effective, but i'm not sure how well they fit newborns. baby is expected to be 8 lbs or so, which isn't tiny, but i'm not sure if any OS cover will truly fit. i'd like to minimize the number of covers i need to buy, so if the one size wraps in the econobum pack can fit fairly early on that solves the problem! we'll be using disposables until the belly button heals, but would like to switch to cloth as soon as we can after that :)

January 2011
#2 of 9 Old 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Okay I LOVE Econobum covers!!! My son started wearing the covers at about 8.5 or 9lbs So if your baby is expected to be around 8lbs I think youll be good to go!... I think the pfs fit better around 10lbs or so but would definantly work.

#3 of 9 Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 PM

I have one Econobum but no baby yet so I can't help you. ;)  But I wanted to mention, in case you haven't heard, that they periodically have seconds available at Cotton Babies (like right now, but it seems to happen fairly often).  It's just the cover but at $4.95 each it's a pretty good deal.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=51

#4 of 9 Old 12-18-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
myk

looks like that'll be a good solution for me then, i've got some fitted dipes and i love prefolds, one pack of econobums with the wraps should complete my stash for me. thanks so much!

January 2011
#5 of 9 Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 AM

I use econobums, have since DD was 3 months old. I like them. I have to admit I like the prefold system in general a little less since DD has turned into a copiously pooping toddler, I have a few bumgenius and those are easier to quickly spray off. But I use fleece liners in the prefold and it's not too bad. In the days before a little one is eating very many solids I think econobums are tops. I have two packages and that's more than enough for us.

#6 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 12:26 PM

if you don't need a wetbag, you can get the prefolds and 2nds covers for a bit cheaper at cottonbabies.com

it works out to be 4.95x3= 14.85

econobum prefolds 6.00for 3x4= 12 so 24.00

grand total 38.85 for 3 covers and 12 prefolds, and you can get the different colored trim covers. and they have free economy shipping!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#7 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM

I don't care for the EB covers.  They are really thin and cheaply made...of course.  They of course do the job, but I prefer something that is more user friendly, kwim?

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#8 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
myk

i would love to do that.. but shipping to canada is never free! which is really too bad, because their prices are excellent.

January 2011
#9 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post

i would love to do that.. but shipping to canada is never free! which is really too bad, because their prices are excellent.

Ahh, I don't know how I didn't notice that since I'm in Canada too!  Have you tried SewCraftyBaby?  She has free shipping to Canada on orders over $45, which is really hard to find otherwise.  It's just a bit of a balance between having enough to get free shipping, but not too much to try and avoid customs charges.  Still, I got stuff there on Black Friday and even though the package total was like $106 I only paid about $10 (just GST + Canada Post charge, no duty).  She always has a 10% off coupon code on her Facebook page.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page