What covers would you get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The newborn bummis super whisper wraps are starting to get a little snug on my 5 1/2 week old.  We also have xs thirsties.  I'm trying to decide where to go from here for covers.  We use flats.  What diapers covers would you get?  sized or one size?  how many?  I do have a toddler using Motherease airflow covers, large right now but I also have some x-large if I need them.

Thanks for any input!!

Theresa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Bummis Super Whisper Wraps are my favorites for nb and small for sure and probably mediums too. I also like the Bummis Super Brites and Thirsties, but BSWW are the ones I grab for the most. I love ME Airflows too and have some in med & lg that still look as new as the day I got them after being used on 2 kids. I think they're practically indestructable! Personally, I'm not crazy about the look of the onesize covers when on the bigger settings with all the snaps showing.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM

I like my Mommys Touch OS dipes. But They dont have the gussets i found crucial during the early months. Imse Vimse covers were my go to during the early months.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM

Do you just padfold the flats or are you pinning/snappi'ing them? I love Imse Vimse covers, especially the "soft" ones (they are just one layer of PUL and depending on where you look, they come in snaps or velcro - the velcro is my favorite because I can get a perfect fit). They have gussets and hold things in well. I also like the Thirsties sized covers (well, I'm also liking our Duo sized 1, but I think the sized ones fit a bit better on dd, though I prefer the fit of the Imse Vimse just slightly. 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Thirsties are really my favorite.  I use prefolds, not flats but the gussets are awesome and we have never had a leak when using a Thirsties cover/prefold.  Even a poop blowout stays inside the cover although it is a huge mess when we open it up, lol!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 AM

I definitely like the fit of the Thirsties Duo 1s in terms of confining poo.  But the Duo 1s actually are SMALLER than a Thirsties sized Small.  So my not-so-little guy was totally out of the Duo 1s before he was 3mo.  

We are having a lot of luck right now with Flip OS covers even though they do not have gussets.  I think they started working well for us around 12lbs?

Cloth Diaper Clearance (affiliated with Nicki's) has some good deals on old style sized Bumkins covers.  If you only need sm/med, then maybe that would be a good choice?  I ordered one to try, but it is going in DS's stocking so I haven't tried it yet!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 12-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

Do you just padfold the flats or are you pinning/snappi'ing them? I love Imse Vimse covers, especially the "soft" ones (they are just one layer of PUL and depending on where you look, they come in snaps or velcro - the velcro is my favorite because I can get a perfect fit). They have gussets and hold things in well. I also like the Thirsties sized covers (well, I'm also liking our Duo sized 1, but I think the sized ones fit a bit better on dd, though I prefer the fit of the Imse Vimse just slightly. 

I could have written the above post.  I love our imse vimse covers, and also prefer the sized thirsties to the duo's...

I also like bummis super brite, but for some reason it is not my "go to" cover...even though i think it is one of the cutest! :)

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Our BSWW are still too big around the legs at 3 weeks but the Thirsties Duo 1s are fitting great on the smallest setting.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

My favorite are Bummis Super Brites b/c they have double leg gussets and are trim-fitting.  Thirsties are good covers but don't work for us b/c we always have tall, thin babies, which tend to fit Bummis cut better.  Short, chubby babies are better in Thirsties.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 12-29-2010, 12:19 PM

I have always used Thirsties. I started with XS, then we moved to S, and now we are on M. Also, I get them at Abby's Lane. Four times a year, the thirsties will go on sale, so I always look out for those times. And she always has free shipping!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM

I love the thirsties duo covers.  I am also a fan of the flip covers for a cheap option.

Jenn

earthycrunchymama.com

Jenn
Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mom to Cole, 3, and Max 6 months
earthycrunchymama.com
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your input!  I thought I was decided on the Thirsties sized and was looking around for a sale but now I notice that our xsmalls that we have been using for about 2 mo. are looking a little worn.  Would Imse Vimse hold up longer?  even the ones with velcro?  I just lay the folded up flat in the cover and would like to continue to do that at least until maybe med. size when baby starts crawling?  Would a cover with snaps work for just padfolding the dipe inside?  Motherease seems to hold up really well... 

How about the covers holding up nicely for the next baby?  Does the elastic last?

ETA:  The reason I like the Thirsties are the extra leg gussets, they are thin and soft for wrapping around, and no leaks.

Thoughts please!

Thank you,

Theresa

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM

I have a couple of Thirsties -- and yes, I also found that they wore very quickly! 

My very favorite covers are the BSWW, particularly for the longevity.  I have some hand-me-downs that have made it through 2 of my babies, plus a couple before them.  I prefer the snaps because velcro always seems to give out eventually, but it's true they aren't as adjustable.  I hasn't caused any leaking issues for me, and I've used them through a chunky thighs kiddo and a slimmer baby.  I use snappis and prefolds with them, so I don't know if there would be too much shifting with folded flats... it might. 

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Tags
Cloth Diapers , Bummis , Bummis Super Whisper Wrap , Mother Ease
User Tag List