Tempted to stray...help bring me back to loving cloth! (12mo hates diaper changes, leakage etc) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been doing cloth since our DD was 6 weeks old and really loving it, despite laundry every other day.

But lately its been stressful as she is nearing 1 year and absolutely HATES getting her diaper changed.

I started with prefolds and covers which thus far has been the best for leakage but the worst in terms of shortest time to change diaper so we also have some pockets: BumGenius One size, Haute Pocket one size, Blueberry Minky one size and a few WAHM brands I can't think of right now. These I liked for a little while, but lately I have had two gripes. The first is that already a few of the one sizes are getting too small and my daughter isn't particularily large, she is actually right in the 50% or so. The second is that we have increasingly more leakage issues. So I am thinking I am ready to resell a bunch of my pockets...but what then?

I desperately need some ideas because I would like to stick with cloth until the end. Any suggestions?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Diaper changes - pretty normal. Sposies wont change that. Its a relatively short phase that we all just have to knuckle through. I hand him my ipod when he objects to a change. Keeps him calm for a few minutes.

Leaks - you need to identify the cause. Gapping, repelling, not enough absorbancy will all cause leaks, but each has a different solution.

Fitting - are the OS currently too small, or still getting there? Is she running yet? How are they too small (waist, rise, legs, etc)? Its not unusual for there to be a period before they start running where they chub out a bit, and once they start running they thin out because they dont stop moving. Once they hit a year or so they tend to slow down gaining weight and concentrate on growing vertically So if its just the waist, maybe a little patience will see a change. If its rise, a different brand may solve that. Knickernappies have the highest rise for OS pockets that i've tried. Rumparooz have the shortest. Or you might need to adjust your expectations of fit. I know a friend who expects her dipes to fit like granny panties - up high in the front. Whereas my guy wears his high enough to cover his penis, but not onto his tummy, more like a bikini cut.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-21-2010, 04:06 PM

Ditto on everything PP said. Also, what kind of detergent are you using? It only takes 1 or 2 washes in non-diaper-friendly detergent for my diapers to start leaking horribly. I didn't figure it out until the 2nd time I began washing our dipes in regular detergent. Strip them, start washing in something diaper-friendly, and they go back to their usual absorbency. It's pretty amazing how quickly regular detergent can mess up cloth diapers.

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses...its taken me this long to come back!

Leaks and the cause. From what you all have said I think there are two issues.

The first is they probably need to be stripped because my husband did use our regular clothes detergent for one wash cycle and that probably is the case. Lately I have been using Rockin Green and I've been liking it quite a bit.

The other problem it seems is gaping around the thighs. She is mostly crawling but transitioning into walking with assistance and taking a few steps alone. She has thinned out a lot, she used to be a chunky monkey and now she seems pretty average.

Tags
Cloth Diapers , Bumgenius One Size Cloth Diaper Blossom
User Tag List