do covers lose ability to hold leaks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an older cover from Bummis,like maybe an older style,it 's blue and has stars on it and a mesh like inside. it leaks a lot!he's wearing a nice thick fitted diaper and he's soaked through all ready to the cover,it's only been an hour. so do covers lose ability to prevent leaks or be water proof?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Yes, they can, if the PUL cracks or develops holes. Have you used this cover before? Or is it new to you? Mesh inside sounds more like a swim dipe than a cover.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM

I used bummies covers when I first started cloth diapering nearly 2 years ago. They never held up past a few months. They soaked through as though they were just cotton! My thirsties covers are still going strong...

Old 01-02-2011, 12:19 PM

If it has mesh inside, it might be a Bummis Original or Bummis cotton. They're not really meant to go over a fitted; they're meant to be for prefolds or flats.

Or is it like this one here?

http://www.thebabymarketplace.com/securestore/c26043p9533856.2.html

(which I understand is more or less the same thing as the Bummis original/cotton cover)

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 PM

YES, it's possible!  And yes, it's highly annoying.  

And I had the same issues with the same covers (Bummis, mesh on the inside, pretty pattern on the outside).  It lasted through one baby, just barely, and now I've got Mother-Ease covers and have yet to have a leak (even though I bought them used).

The problem might be the covers themselves, OR if might be a detergent residue issue.  Do your diapers also have these "symptoms"?: smelly diapers or covers, repelling of liquids, skin irritation, yellowing of white fabrics, leaky covers (I'm just quoting from a pamphlet I got at a local cloth diapering store)

You might want to try this treatment method to see if you can salvage the covers.  I tried it on a few Bummis covers, and it seemed to have improved their water-proofness (is that a word?).

"Repeat the following process twice: 1. Run your covers and diapers twice through a wash with only hot water (if allowed by manufacturer's washing instructions). 2. Run a second wash using 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar.  3. Use another 1/2 cup vinegar in the first rinse cycle of the second wash. 4. Run a second rinse cycle with plain hot water. 5. Dry covers in dryer."

They have a website that might have more info for troubleshooting.  Look under "resources" at www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com 

Good luck! 

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)

Tags
Cloth Diapers
User Tag List