Ack! Cloth diaper help! Please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I am doing the wash before baby arrives and washed my first load of dipes on the "sanitary" setting (158F !!!!) but just read that I shouldn't do that. Are they ruined??? It was a load of mostly flat diapers (I'm sure they are fine), cotton/flannel fitteds (again sure they are fine), 2 GoodMamaOnes, one Mommy'sTouch, and one BumGenius. The next load I just did on warm...

Also, I haven't washed the Blueberry cover but it says not to use vinegar. I always use vinegar and baking soda in the wash. I've now washed all the dipes with vinegar...is that wrong? How do you prevent yeast without vinegar?!?

Finally, um, I think I'm dense but as I was stuffing the newly washed BG it occurred to me that after they are used they probably have to be unstuffed to be washed. Isn't that gross? The idea of cloth diapering doesn't bother me but the idea of touching pee soaked diapers intimately does...the insides have to be removed to be washed, right?

Thanks!!! Eventually I'll get the hang of this!
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#2 of 9 Old 12-28-2010, 12:44 AM

I don't know about your other issues, but wanted to say that using both baking soda and vinegar at the same time neutralizes both, making them pointless.

#3 of 9 Old 12-28-2010, 02:04 AM

Just one "oops" wash isn't going to hurt the dipes IMO, just wouldn't make a practice of it.

I don't put vinegar or baking soda in there and haven't had any problems w/ yeast. (So far!) I change her pretty often during the day though.

You're going to get used to lots of yucky stuff as a Mom :) Pee soaked diapers are mild comparatively! LOL. At least pee is sterile when it comes out of the body. With my pocket diapers (Bum Genius and FuzzyBunz) it is alot easier to get them out than to stuff them in- I just grab the corner with two fingertips and it pulls right out. When throwing them in the wash, I use the outer shell like an oven mitt to pick up the dirty stuffers and pitch them into the machine.

Congrats and good luck

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#4 of 9 Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! The vinegar goes in with the detergent at the beginning of the wash. The baking soda is then dispensed after the first rinse cycle. I started doing that a few years ago when I was having recurrent yeast issues and I have been yeast free since then.

Thanks for the reassurance that I didn't totally ruin anything! smile.gif No more sanitzing for me! orngbiggrin.gif

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#5 of 9 Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

You can do sanitary on the pocket inserts with no problem.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#6 of 9 Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM

LOL you'll get it mama! I used to just pull on the ends of the inserts to get them out of the pocket diapers and they came right out - pee was livable but poop that got inside was...well not fun ;)

I'm sure your dipes are fine if they didn't shrink. 

Hang in there - I distinctly remember the package of Under the Nile prefolds that I bought from Ebay (back when you could) that sat in my room for a couple of weeks before I finally gave into DH's constant questions about when I would actually USE one of the diapers I had bought ;) And we survived just fine for two years until dd self potty trained. Incidentally, she's just turned four and I've finally decided that I guess it's time to let go of all the beautiful diapers and wool that I became a fanatic about. All of that from someone who was terrified to start! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post

Okay, so I am doing the wash before baby arrives and washed my first load of dipes on the "sanitary" setting (158F !!!!) but just read that I shouldn't do that. Are they ruined??? It was a load of mostly flat diapers (I'm sure they are fine), cotton/flannel fitteds (again sure they are fine), 2 GoodMamaOnes, one Mommy'sTouch, and one BumGenius. The next load I just did on warm...

Also, I haven't washed the Blueberry cover but it says not to use vinegar. I always use vinegar and baking soda in the wash. I've now washed all the dipes with vinegar...is that wrong? How do you prevent yeast without vinegar?!?

Finally, um, I think I'm dense but as I was stuffing the newly washed BG it occurred to me that after they are used they probably have to be unstuffed to be washed. Isn't that gross? The idea of cloth diapering doesn't bother me but the idea of touching pee soaked diapers intimately does...the insides have to be removed to be washed, right?

Thanks!!! Eventually I'll get the hang of this!
Jenne

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#7 of 9 Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the help!

Everything seems to be okay with regard to the temperature. Nothing seems to have shrunk.

I'm still concerned about the vinegar though. Do y'all not use vinegar in your wash? What damage could it do to the covers? Or is it just hypthetical?

Thanks!
Jenne

02/11/2011   

#8 of 9 Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have always used vinegar and never had problems.  What does cause problems for PUL is high heat.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#9 of 9 Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm officially of the sanitary setting! smile.gif But thanks for the info on vinegar being okay...

Happy New Year!
Jenne

02/11/2011   

Tags
Cloth Diapers , Bumgenius

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page