are diaper sprayers really worth the money? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hate poopy dipes it takes a lot to get the poo off..its not fully solid but not all liquid anymore either...I have just been "flushing" the dipes to get off what I can and washing off the rest in the bathroom sink...not too great and pretty gross.

Diaper sprayers are dang expensive! sure I want one but is it really worth it? Anyone make their own? can you make you're own?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 24 Old 12-30-2010, 11:33 AM

Having a diaper sprayer has been a pretty cool thing, but I think I could also live without it.  I got mine for free when Franklin Goose did their earning points thing a while ago, so I don't agnst if I don't use it.  Maybe you can get one for free/cheap by posting a ISO here, or craigslist or freecycle? 

THey have a tendency to leak too...which is annoying but if you have a bucket not a deal breaker.

#3 of 24 Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM

There are lots of tutorials to make your own if you want a smaller investment.

http://gidgetgoeshome.com/2008/08/25/diy-tutorial-make-your-own-diaper-sprayer/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpfj_SeG4ro

http://blissfullydomestic.com/2008/diy-tutorial-make-your-own-diaper-sprayer

We love ours and it recently broke :(. I have got to call the company and see if they will replace it since we've had it less than a year. DH is very sad without it since spraying out diapers is his job (he thinks it is fun).

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#4 of 24 Old 12-30-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

oh you are the best! i could only find the youtube one and that guy sucked lol we can't go cutting into our toilet hose! we rent lol I am totally putting DH up to it!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 24 Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 PM

We bought the BG diaper sprayer.  It worked out to nearly the same cost as what we priced out at Home Depot and was just easier.  We have a low-flow/dual flush toilet (and a really bad one at that...my parents have a much nicer dual flush one than we have) and the dunk and swish just doesn't cut it for us.  I love my diaper sprayer.  

#6 of 24 Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We *love* ours. It is the Little Squirt and we haven't had a single leak in 7 months. Wouldn't be without it.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 24 Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 AM

Hi I am replying via iPhone so please bare with me and forgive any typos. Diapers sprayers are absolutely positively worth the cost. We love ours. We even went and bought a second one. I highly recommend the bumgenius diaper sprayer. It's incredible! I wouldn't cd without it. I got mine from Inge at www.diaperware.com she has a pretty good to average price and is super helpful. Best of luck and all the best!

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif
#8 of 24 Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM

I think they are definitely worth the investment.  We just went through a bout of stomach virus, and I found another use for it... cleaning vomit off of sheets and clothes before they went in the wash.  Yucky job, but I was really glad I had the sprayer!

#9 of 24 Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM

I didn't get the sprayer until my guy was almost 1.  I dealt with the solids poo for almost 6 months without.  Now I'll never go back.  I LOVE it.  It makes laundry so much easier. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 24 Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Ok, so am I the only one who really doesn't love the diaper sprayer?  I like the idea of it, and I like the results of the rinsed diaper when I use it, but I find that the "spray" comes out so forcefully that I get this fine mist all over the toilet from the water bouncing off the diaper.  I'm not sure how to fix that... anybody?

Oh, we have the BumGenius sprayer and we haven't had any leaks or issues other than that it's a bit too powerful.  Even when I only depress the trigger halfway, it still gets all over the place!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#11 of 24 Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 AM

We have the BG diaper sprayer and we love it, too! I think it was very worth the price, and we have never had any leaks either. If it is spraying to forcefully you can also not turn the valve all the way on, which can be easier than trying to control the flow with the trigger.

#12 of 24 Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzeps View Post

Ok, so am I the only one who really doesn't love the diaper sprayer?  I like the idea of it, and I like the results of the rinsed diaper when I use it, but I find that the "spray" comes out so forcefully that I get this fine mist all over the toilet from the water bouncing off the diaper.  I'm not sure how to fix that... anybody?

Oh, we have the BumGenius sprayer and we haven't had any leaks or issues other than that it's a bit too powerful.  Even when I only depress the trigger halfway, it still gets all over the place!

One thing that we have found to be helpful is spraying into the toilet water first, and then slowly moving the poo dipe underneath it. Our experience has been

that the poo mist occurs during first contact.

A Mom's Love likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 24 Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 PM

We don't have a diaper sprayer - I spray off my diapers with a squeeze bottle (the one that was my peri bottle).  The down side is that for big messes I have to refill it a couple of times before the diaper is clean enough, but it works much better than the dunk and swish or flush.  But this thread has made me reconsider getting a diaper sprayer - during the last 5-6 months of my pregnancy I had almost no milk, so my toddler's poops were usually solid enough to just shake off, but now that he's tandem nursing with our newborn, the poops are back to sticky messes irked.gif

Married to C August 2007.  Son Ian born October 2008.  Son Owen born December 2010.  Daughter Naomi born October 2012.

#14 of 24 Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Ok, so it sounds like user error!  So I need to put the diaper down in the toilet and then spray it off.  I have been holding it over the toilet and spraying.  Ok, next time I have a chance, I will try it that way.  Oh, and I'm also going to check the valve... maybe it isn't tightened quite as far as it could be.  Thanks!!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#15 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM

I'd second this.  We love our sprayer.  It's great and the flow is adjustable.  Good luck with the poop!

#16 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 AM

http://pottypail.com/learn.php

Worth. Every. Penny.  :)

(Ours is an earlier version where they used cut-in-half PVC pipes around the bottom edge of the pail.  Doing it this way, you could totally build your own from the hardware store if you wanted.  We just didn't have the inclination at the time.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#17 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 PM

OMGolly, yes!! I LOVE my cd sprayer. I use it for so much more than diapers, too: paint rollers, rinsing toddler in training hineys after some nasty messes, cleaning the toilet....oh, the many, many uses!

To make one, it's not worth it. My original sprayer broke after almost 2yrs, so dh made one. It was just as expensive to go to Lowe's and try to piece things together to make one as it was to buy one in a kit that's sooo easy to assemble. Once our DIY sprayer kicks the bucket, I've already been warned we will buy one instead of dealing with the hassle. If you're bound and determined to do it yourself (or have your dh do it), there's a blog called something like Gidget....something. Just google diy diaper sprayer and gidget. It'll get you there.

#18 of 24 Old 01-13-2011, 03:13 PM

We have one and it is totally worth it! It make it (in my opinion) less messy and my husband like it too winky.gif

#19 of 24 Old 01-15-2011, 05:13 AM

has anyone tried the ones that on sale on ebay for about 25$?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#20 of 24 Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 AM

I didn't use one the first time around, but I registered for one this time: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Shower-Multi-Use-Sprayer-ScaldSafe-Temperature/dp/B004G6NOYI/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3NJ3TDOALBZKR&colid=2TINI4OL28DZX. My friend has it and loves it, so I thought I'd try it. DH didn't even know I had registered for it last time and not gotten it until I told him I put it on the registry this time, and his response was, "wait, they make diaper sprayers? Why don't we have one yet?!!" lol. So I think if it were up to him, we would have had one last time :)

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#21 of 24 Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM

I use disposable liners which do a great job 95% of the time, but for that other 5% when the poop gets on the diaper I am so thankful I have my sprayer.  I also know that a sprayer is going to be cheaper than buying liners every month.

Jenn
Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mom to Cole, 3, and Max 6 months
earthycrunchymama.com
#22 of 24 Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM

I have a Potty Pail that I bought on their website. http://www.pottypail.com/ 

I've used it for over two years and love it! I would recommend it to anyone cloth diapering.

#23 of 24 Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM

i get that fine mist all over the toilet when I spray, b/c I have to use it on "full-power" to get the poop off the dipes! I end up cleaning my toilet seat & rim quite often b/c of this....overall it's nice to have, but not really a necessity. I find I don't have to get my hands as messy, but I still have to use my hands to squeeze out excess water from the dipes before I put them in the dry pail (I use a pail liner w/PUL but I don't like putting dipes in there sopping wet)

I paid about $22 for mine, and never have a problem with it leaking. My husband installed it though...it shouldn't leak if someone competent puts it on your toilet. I wouldn't have been able to do it myself without any leaks! LOL

#24 of 24 Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We turned the water inlet tap down about halfway which stopped our sprayer being too powerful. It does make the cistern a little bit slower to fill but it hasn't been a problem.

A Mom's Love likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Bumgenius Diaper Sprayer , Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page