help for a clueless new mom on biodegradable inserts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to everything! I'm not even sure where to start with diapering. Originally I thought cloth diapering was going to be the route to go, but after careful consideration (and opposition from childcare) I realized I need to do something else. Thanks to school loans I can't afford to stay home at this time :( but I still want to make the smartest decision for my baby for our current situation. It seems as though using something such as little G diapers with the disposable insert would be best for at home, and Seventh Generation diapers for childcare since they don't want to mess with cloth. The trouble is that I have absolutely no resources for these biodegradable inserts or what brands are the best for this, how to use etc. I've done some research on LIttle G diapers but the reviews don't seem very positive. I've also heard Happy Heineys have a new disposable insert. I don't live in a region that supports anything earth friendly or natural for that matter. If anyone has suggestions for me please help. Thank you!

#2 of 5 Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 PM

I use little G's.  I am trying the disposable inserts for the first time tonight, but I've hear dsome good things.  I really like them.  I do use flats with them during the day rather than the disposable inserts.  I haven't tried 7th gen, but heard they start fitting strange after size 3. 

I can't help you too much other than to say G Pants aren't as bad as some people make them.  They aren't much more expensive than huggies and if your child turns out to be sensitive to PUL (my son is) or you want breathable diapers, these are great.

Good luck with your search.  Maybe you could try a little of each and decide from there.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#3 of 5 Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

How did the disposable inserts work out with the gpants? You were right. I did some more research and they really aren't much more expensive.

#4 of 5 Old 01-04-2011, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Many brands offer a disposable insert now (bumGenius Flip, GroVia.)  On the childcare issue, have you shown them a modern cloth diaper?  Many people are imagining prefolds and pins, but when you show them an easy diaper like bumGenius, FuzziBunz, etc., they have no problem with it.  Also, if it is a daycare, there is no law against cloth diapers, and you are paying them.

I am not a huge fan of the G diaper b/c we never hear good reports.  Why not try the Flip system?  You can use the cloth inserts at home and the disposables when out.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#5 of 5 Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykatrina View Post

How did the disposable inserts work out with the gpants? You were right. I did some more research and they really aren't much more expensive.

They work pretty well!  I don't think I got the sushi roll for overnight right because we did leak (it's one flat insert with one rolled in the area most needed under that).  But I use a cloth combo at night.  The disposable insert is on top of a hemp or bamboo booster and it works wonderfully.  I generally still put a wool cover on just as a precaution, but I don't really need it.  If I do go with complete disposable options at night, like when traveling, I'll just lay 2 in there flat as opposed to the sushi roll. 

I like these more than Flip because Flip is narrow.  These aren't.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!

Tags
Diapering , Cloth Diapers , Seventh Generation , Happy Heinys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page