Tentatively Embracing Cloth Diapering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

My LO is 6 months old and has thus far been pretty happy in sposies. I don't love the idea of diapering baby in something reusable and was sort of pushed into it because Daniel has been wetting pretty heavily at night and leaking through his Pampers. So I went out to my local cloth diaper store and bought two diapers: a FuzziBunz OS and a Thirsties Duo pocket in size medium. I also bought some hemp doublers since I was told they would be best at night. So far I've been super pleased with them. I only had one leak, and though it was pretty substantial, I think I might not have closed them up tight enough on his tummy. So I went out today to try and get some more. And this is where the trouble began.

I already had some really high quality prefolds that I've been using as burp cloths so I went to the store I bought them at and the woman showed me how to fold them like diapers, use a Snappi and put them into a Bummis Superbright cover. I couldn't really get the Snappi to work right (it wouldn't catch the fabric) and the folding was really intimidating. I bought it all anyway because I figured I could get it right at home, but alas, I cannot. What am I missing here? Is there a way to use the prefolds without having to snappi them? My husband is already freaked out by all the snaps on the FB's, I don't know how he's ever going to get the hang of these folding diapers. He'd really prefer we use something like gDiapers or Flip.

Help!

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my favorite prefold folding site: http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php

I'm curious as to why your snappis aren't catching on the diaper.  I have some flats that they won't catch on to well, but they grab all my prefolds just fine.  You could always use pins!  Just practice, be patient, let yourself make some mistakes, and you'll get it.  My dh was very resistant to cloth diapering at first but is now jelly-rolling prefolds like a pro.  orngbiggrin.gif

9/2011 items decluttered
#3 of 8 Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Thanks! They're flannel diapers if that helps. It's like they're too slippery. Today I just folded it thirds and laid it in the diaper. Is that okay?

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#4 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 AM

I don't have any advice to offer about the prefolds, as we use FuzziBunz almost exclusively (LOVE them!), but I can definitely relate to how intimidating it can all be at first. When We got the FB OS I looked at all the snaps and elastic and thought "Oh my... where do I start???" Once I read what everything was for, however, it was a snap (no pun intended... okay maybe a little)! My DH was hesitant, too, but now he raves about them to anyone interested. He's so glad that we switched from sposies, and he has even admitted that in our current situation, had we NOT switched to cloth, we wouldn't have been able to afford disposable diapers at certain points over the past year. I think you'll find that even though you didn't set out to use cloth diapers originally, they certainly have their benefits once you start.

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#5 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

Thanks! They're flannel diapers if that helps. It's like they're too slippery. Today I just folded it thirds and laid it in the diaper. Is that okay?

That will be fine for now.  But when baby starts to crawl and be active, the diaper will shift the poop won't be contained. 

I think you want to try a more standard prefolds, Chinese prefold or Indian prefold, instead of the flannel?  The weave is looser and allows the snappi to grip securely.  Can you find a friend with an Indian prefold or Chinese prefold to try one?   My husband was really intimidated by cloth diapers until he tried a Chinese prefold with a snappi, which is much simpler. It is also much cheaper.

#6 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Was the woman at the store able to get the Snappi to work?

If all else fails, I would have no hesitation about bringing a prefold, a snappi, and a doll/stuffed animal back to the store and having the salespeople give you a more thorough tutorial.  If they are selling cloth diapers, then they want you to like cloth diapering, and they will work with you until it becomes easy because they have a vested interest in making this work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

I already had some really high quality prefolds that I've been using as burp cloths so I went to the store I bought them at and the woman showed me how to fold them like diapers, use a Snappi and put them into a Bummis Superbright cover. I couldn't really get the Snappi to work right (it wouldn't catch the fabric) and the folding was really intimidating. I bought it all anyway because I figured I could get it right at home, but alas, I cannot. What am I missing here? Is there a way to use the prefolds without having to snappi them?

#7 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM

I hate using snappis personally.  I just trifold my prefold diapers and lay them inside the cover.  I fan out the back to help minimize poop on the cover.  My favorite diapers are Thirsties duo wraps for covers and my flip system, gro vias and rumparooz.  Too see my favorites and see what I think about them see my website - http://shop.earthycrunchymama.com/collections/clothdiapers

EarthyCrunchMama

Natural Living for the Modern Family

earthycrunchymama.com

Jenn
Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mom to Cole, 3, and Max 6 months
earthycrunchymama.com
#8 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM

I just wanted to add that I've used prefolds and covers on two kids now, and have NEVER used or owned a pin or a Snappi.  I've just always done what you did, fold it in threes and secure it with the cover (I just fan out the top so the back and fronts meet on the baby's hips).  Never had a problem.  I'd say, forget the Snappis, and just keep it simple.  :D

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)

Tags
Cloth Diapers , Fuzzibunz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page