How do I get stains out of my diapers when I have no place to put them in the sun? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've heard about putting lemon juice on diapers and putting them in the sun to remove stains.  I'm in the Midwest, it's winter, and I don't have a place to put them out in the sun.  What else can I do?  My diapers are looking pretty gross....

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

also, when you put white vinegar in with diapers, how much do you use?

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#3 of 7 Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody?  I have bio-kleen, does that also remove stains or just odors?  Which one is better?  (I bought it with the intent of using it for something and it's just sitting there.)

#4 of 7 Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM

If you have a car, you can lay some out on the dashboard. It works even in the cold and the glass helps reflect the sun.

Other than that, I dunno. I didn't really find vinegar to help with stains - just for stink issues.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 7 Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

I get stains too - i have a 4 month old EBF and i actually gave up on cloth diapers for a month or so  - im so fed up with all this work and still having dirty diapers!   i have no place to dry in the sun either  (im in an apt.)  i wonder if that is the problem!  I usually hand rinse each one, soak in cold water with oxy-clean in it - run a whites cycle - then an extra rinse at the end.  I typically throw them in the dryer - or hang them up on the balcony - that gets no sunlight.  Long ago - i remember my Mom using about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of vinegar per load.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#6 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 11:48 AM

I live in Seattle so there are months were the sun is only in my dreams lol , I use vinegar like maybe half a cup for my stack washer , also i do an occasional load with biokleen oxygen stuff

#7 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sunning through a window still works very well, even without lemon juice. Direct sun is great but take what you've got.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Tags
Cloth Diapers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page