Fuzzibunz question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been using CD since June when DS was born and have been pretty satisfied with the outcome, however lately he seems to get fussy after just one time peeing. Before he could be in one fuzzi for up to 2 hours but now it seems like he is getting more and more uncomfortable. I tried double stuffing the inserts but I feel it just makes him too bulky and uncomfortable. Is anyone else having this issue or is my guy just Mr. sensitive?

A Mommy In Love!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 AM

2 hours is a bit long for a CD'd babe to go between changes.  Particularly if they're not mobile yet (when you have to catch them, diaper changes tend to be more sporadic).  Have you eliminated other variables though?  Is the diaper more full after that time frame than before?  Is something else going on (UTI, upset tummy, milestones, teething, etc.)?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

He is teething but Im not sure if they are related. 2hrs is the absolute longest he can go without a change, we usually change at least 1 an hour. I guess the volume of urine is increasing as he grows of course.  Have you used the fuzzi bunz with an older child, around the one year point? I am wondering if another CD may work better for us.

A Mommy In Love!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We use the FB outers with cotton pre-folds inside.  I found the inserts were not the best fit for us.  The inserts are not my favorite material, same with the outers, however, we use FB due to the narrowness.  DS is really narrow.  DS wasn't happy with even 1 pee in his diap for gosh... a long time.  We EC and found that to be VERY helpful with that issue.   I think the inserts retain more smell and don't wisk away the wet as well as the pre-folds. 

'09   
Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. I will try the cotton pre-fold insert. I would like to try other diapers but we really have spent a lot of $$ on all the FB. 

A Mommy In Love!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 AM

I'd recommend hemp trifold inserts. I love mine. I read if you stick a microfiber insert over a hemp insert that it is very absorbent, though if you don't like the microfiber, the hemp on it's own works well too IMO.

I got my hemp inserts on a clearance sale so I can't recommend a specific one.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Do the diapers need to be stripped? Is it perhaps irritating his skin?

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Old 02-04-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am certain that they need that. I have been waiting to find the correct way to do it. I have gotten so many conflicting directions how to do it, soap, no soap. I even had someone tell me to use bleach! Blaakkk! Any suggestions are welcomed. I actually started a thread about it but no responses yet.

A Mommy In Love!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 PM

I'm CDing my 3rd baby in 4 years and using FB most of the time.  I stopped using the inserts and bought the Thirsties contour microterry inserts and they really holdup well.  At night I back my thirsties insert with a babykicks hemp insert...it lasts from 7-6 in our house.  Maybe I am a neglectful mother but I don't change my kids every hour...poopy diapers come off right away but I don't change after every pee...I'm too busy to even notice every pee and they are too busy to be stopped to be changed...certainly my newborns are changed frequently but I find as they get older they don't get changed as much.  My 2 year old probably goes 2.5-3 hours btwn pee changes...he goes through about 6-7 diapers daily and he is up at 6 and down at 7.  My 4mo daughter goes through about 10 diapers daily and she is up at 6ish and her last change is around 11pm.

FB definitely hold stink a lot and I strip them frequently with either a little Dawn or baking soda.  I will then wash them a few times with no soap after the initial wash with Dawn or BS.  For a normal wash cycle, I do a cold wash, hot wash w/extra rinse using Charlie's Soap.

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM

nak

when I've stripped I added a little squirt of dawn and my usual laundry detergent for the first wash. then wash them over and over w/o any additives until i don't see any soap bubbles when it's agitating.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 AM

What about stipping diapers with a front loader?

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

FB definitely hold stink a lot and I strip them frequently with either a little Dawn or baking soda.  I will then wash them a few times with no soap after the initial wash with Dawn or BS.  For a normal wash cycle, I do a cold wash, hot wash w/extra rinse using Charlie's Soap.

Man do they ever hold a stink.  I have tried everything posted around these parts and have found...

Rinse in cold

Boil water and toss in the wash with 1/2 soap

Rinse a 2nd time after the cycle is done

Seems to work around these parts. 

I also stopped using the actual insert awhile ago and use a pre fold... organic cotton or hemp work well. 

'09   
Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am guessing they need to be stripped. The buildup might be irritating. We've used our FB for 18m now and are just stripping for the first time. But we live in an apartment building with no fancy rinses so we wash once and then do a wash without soap.

User Tag List