Quick! Traveling with CD, maybe hybrids & leaving TOMORROW! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

:nak

I got a call this morning that my uncle passed away suddenly last night, so we are now scrambling to get packed for a trip to Florida (from VA) in the morning, and I'm taking the boys without DH, since he is in the middle of a big work "thing".  I know it may have been asked (did a quick search, but didn't turn up what I wanted), and no one may respond to this before we leave, but....

So we've been CDing since the beginning with 7 mo DS, and we tried a bit of everything, including some hybrids. My MIL actually got us some new g Diapers for Christmas.  They're not my favorites, but they have their uses (like pool dipes).  So, I have 2 doz regular prefolds, ~4 fitteds, and tons of covers (thank you family who listens to a baby's Christmas wishlist), but I'm not sure if it's enough for the 4-5 day trip, sans washer.  I know we could find a coin mat, maybe, but with the funeral and family all over creation down there I honestly don't know that I'll find 2 hours to myself to get that done, plus I'm driving my folks down, so we'll just have the one van.  I also have in my possession some disposable liners for the G Diapers and the Gro Via (I love the GV for their covers, since they fit DS well using a pf & no pins).

What's my ?? you ask?  Well, does anyone have advice as to how to do this?  We'll be in the car for ~10 hours initially (probably will go cloth for that, I think), and then how should I work it?  Just take all my cloth and use mostly that until I run out?  Or use the hybrids during the days and while we're out and then switch at night?  The latter sounds like a better plan, I think , but I don't know.  I guess I could stop somewhere & buy some more disposable inserts, too (Babies R US? Ugh!).  Need a CDing expert's advice.  Any tips would be appreciated.  TIA!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#2 of 3 Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've travelled with CDs before, even on a backcountry canoe trip!  LOL.  MIght seem hardcore but it was a better alternative (to me) than packing around with tons of stinky disposables!  I have a stash of flats that I used primarily for travelling b/c they can be washed in a large ziploc bag or sink/shower if necessary and dry super fast on a line or in a dryer.  But, I was able to plan ahead!  

Your hotel might have a washer/dryer which woud make things pretty convenient- can you call ahead and find out?  Or maybe a family member has a W/D you could use and wouldn't be grossed out by diaper laundry?  LOL.  In your situation, I think those are your best bets.  

Not sure how long you'll be gone, and I hate to say this, but since you haven't really been able to plan ahead, you might just want to do disposables for a few days.  It would be easier as far as travelling with others in the car, not having time to wash while you're there and wanting to spend time with family who gathered for the funeral instead of spending your time washing dipes (if you can even find a place to do so.)  

Target brand disposables are very inexpensive and work really well IME.  My nephew who is allergic to every diaper and detergent under the sun could wear them.  If you have to or choose to do sposies while you're away, they're a good bet. 

#3 of 3 Old 02-17-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for the input.  We are back from the trip, and I didn't have to buy a single disposable!!  :)  I packed every diaper I own, and some prefolds that are actually a little small for DS as backups.  Worked out great, though.  I did use a few of the disposable liners with the G diapers and the Gro Via diapers that I took, which made the funeral easier.  I was surprised that we didn't have to do laundry until we got back to my parents' house, which was 4 days.  So glad I decided to postpone starting solids, though, since the poops really weren't too stinky even for all that time. Made it much more manageable. 

For future reference:  Get one or two diapers with disposable liner options, and one bag of those supplementing regular pf's is sufficient for a 4-day trip with a 7 month-old.  :)

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page