Has anyone composted the GroVia hybrid diaper inserts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So these inserts and diapers are apparently compostable - except for the elastic. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone flush them? I'm curious how long it would actually take for them to break down - I guess anything shorter than 500 years would be an improvement over regular disposables...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM

I haven't composted them, but I have used them on vacation, and I was very impressed by them.  Fit, absorbency, not shifting around, trimness...all of it was superb.

#3 of 5 Old 01-28-2011, 02:32 PM

As far as composting them, I would be concerned about the human waste being put in my garden, no matter how broken down. Humans should not consume their own waste, no matter if it's "just" breastfed newborn poop or pee. 

#4 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I agree that composted diapers should not be used in vegetable gardens, but I believe it would be ok in a flower garden. The city of Toronto in Canada actually collects and composts all disposable diapers and feminine hygene products, but they use a process that includes high heat to kill all potential pathogens.

If no one else has tried it, I will probably dig a bit of a hole somewhere to put a pile of wet, but not poopy grovia diapers in, sprinkle some dirt on it and cover it up, then check on it periodically to see what is happening. To me it's not so much a matter of getting compost for the garden, as it is to see how quickly they actually decompose. Since I am now a Diaper Parties consultant, I want to know everything I can about the products we sell.

#5 of 5 Old 01-30-2011, 04:04 PM

I emailed the gDiaper company to ask about composting outside of an actual "composter" and they said that they would break down eventually, but not as quickly as in a real composter - apparently in a composter there are special bacteria that do much of the work. I would assume that Grovia is similar.

I'm not sure that you can flush the Grovia inserts though - I'm pretty sure the gDiapers are the only ones that say you can flush (and I find that the middles flush well but the outside paper not so much).

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page