question about a baby oil + wash wipe solution - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies. I just stumbled across a new product…Johnsons and Johnsons baby wash with baby oil. So I'm thinking, "Hey, I could pick this up, mix it with water and use it as my wipes solution for less money!" And then I got to thinking…nevermind that I'm not totally sold on J & J products…will the oil--a staple of many solutions--bother the absorbency of my prefolds? Which leads to the larger question: won't any oil, besides olive oil, mess with the absorbency of my prefolds? I guess I could go au-naturale and be an exclusive H20 user, which would be the safest bet for my baby's skin and my diapers, but I'm worried that just dampened fleece or terry cloth used to scrub a baby bottom will be too harsh. EBF poos are usually a cinch to wipe up, but I'm thinking about those toddler poos that sometimes require a little elbow grease. I could use some diluted baby soap as a solution--I've got a few bottles hanging around--but the internets has suggested that I use oil as a medium and a softener. I don't want there to be anything lingering on my baby's heiny, either, because I'm sensitive to soaps, myself. So I'm not even convinced that a baby wash + oil solution is the wisest way to go. I'm aware that I could make a witch's brew of EOs, but I'm trying to be thrifty, here.

Any experience/suggestions?

#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 PM

I personally wouldn't mess with that stuff. I use just warm water on my cloth wipes - I wet a few cloth for each diaper change, and never had any issues. I've done that for BF poop and toddler explosions (and still use cloth to wipe my big boy after he uses the bathroom).

#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 02:05 PM

Good question! 

I would NOT use Johnson & Johnson products on my baby unless I had no other choice.  On the safe-cosmetics database, all of their baby products rank between "moderate hazard" and "high hazard."  Here's the link: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?brand_id=1128&category=baby_soap&brand_id=1128&&showmore=products&start=0.  I definitely wouldn't use it in a wipes solution. 

Here's what I do for baby wipe solution:

1 tsp. baby wash (I use Burt's Bees right now but am thinking of using Dr. Bronner's instead because it's more natural)

1 tsp. olive oil with tea tree oil diluted in it (I use about 4 drops TTO to 1 cup EVOO)

1 cup water

It's very easy, which is what I prefer about it.

IME, there's not enough oil in this solution to be a problem with CD's.  The idea is to have enough oil in the solution that it offers a little bit of moisture-protection to the baby's skin in between diaper changes.  I would definitely use olive oil (or another skin-happy vegetable oil like grapeseed or jojoba) over baby oil (which is frequently mineral oil, or maybe a vegetable oil with perfumes and other junk added).  I've never noticed that it affects my diapers at all -- it's really very little. 

As for the baby wash -- the real reason to use it is because it's an emulsifier for the oil in the solution.  If you don't use some kind of soap, the oil just beads up on the surface of the water.  If you use a very sensitive all-natural baby wash, I don't think that the tiny amount on the wipe is going to harm baby's skin (of course, all babies are different, so try it and see, and you can always switch brands or desist altogether if you suspect there's a problem). 

Lastly, I like using a bit of tea tree oil because it is naturally antibacterial, so it prevents mold/bacteria from growing on the wipes while they're in the wipe solution.  Since mine sit for a couple of days in there sometimes, I think it's pretty important to have something that inhibits bacterial growth in there.  And it's so diluted it's safe for sensitive skin. 

I don't think wipes solution has to be fancy -- and you could certainly get by with plain old water on a rag, like most of our parents did -- but something like this is a good "middle ground." 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM

I'm not a fan of J&J, but I have used some oil in the wipes solution almost since the beginning. I've never had an absorbancy issue with my prefolds and have never stripped them. DS is 21 mo.  I use a squirt, maybe 1T, of Burts Bees apricot oil.

I also freely use coconut oil on his skin as needed. And I use zinc oxide creams. Never had an issue!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 PM

I definitely say no to JandJ and baby oil.  I don't think olive/coconut/etc oil would be a problem though.  I have used coconut oil as a moisture barrier AFTER wiping so the bit you'd have in your solution wouldn't be a big deal.

I also sometimes just do water with TTO and lavender.  No baby wash or other oils.

#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 AM

I am simple. I just wet some wipes in water - squeeze out the excess and put them in an old huggies wipes container. I only put enough to last a day or 2 and toss any extra in with the diapers at wash time so they don't mold. I've only had a problem once when I took a break from cloth diapers for a couple weeks and had forgotten some wipes in the container - those said hello to the trash but overall, I've not had any issues. I only use wipes for poopie diapers. My friend taught me that one. Pee is clean so no need to wipe after a pee. Maybe a dry wipe if the baby is wet from peeing on themself and not in the diaper? LOL

I would not use J and J either. I like burts bees baby wash and I've found it at target. I'm sure it's other places too, just letting you know of one place I've seen it. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 7 Old 02-02-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page