What Diaper would you NEVER buy again? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will totally agree with anything Aplix. I do not like it. I switched everything to snaps once DS2 was about a year old and never looked back! I didn't especially love bumGenius, but I think they're a good diaper for people who aren't totally 'sold' on cloth diapering yet. So for that, they totally have value. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Reyasmom View Post

One day I'm gonna get some flats!

Have any receiving blankets lying around? They make perfect flats. 

#62 of 85 Old 04-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Probably bum Genius (my child developed a rash every time he wore them) and NuBunz (snaps came off, insert didn't sit right, etc).

#63 of 85 Old 04-02-2011, 10:11 AM

gDiapers!  The Velcro stopped working after only one or two washes. 

#64 of 85 Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Rumparooz. Small cut of diaper overall, bad customer service-when I had an issue with their diapers they tried to tell me it was something I had done when I knew it was NOT, and the process they use to bind their PUL to the diaper is questionable the way it's done in their China facility. NOT worth the money!

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#65 of 85 Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Despite the horrible reviews, Kushies actually worked on my daughter, especially at the top end of the given weight range--and then became one of the trimmest diapers she had. 

Diapers I won't buy again:

Any WAHM diaper--every brand I've tried has been super cute, but leaked horribly.  Even the WAHM training pants I've bought have sewing issues, and they are from two different etsy stores. 

Rumparooz--love the prints, hate the puffy-butt fit, and when the diapers had KNOWN issues, it has hella hard to get a replacement. 

g-diapers-the plastic insert is....ridiculous. 

bumessentials-could never get a good fit on my daughter

GroVia all in ones:  I'm a sucker for the super cute prints, but the one-size diapers are TINY and I absolutely hate side snaps.  And the soaker is awkward.

Softbums-the Echo shell print faded, the insert is awkward and really didn't work for a tall toddler--I can see how it would work folded for a smaller baby.  The Omni style wicks, everytime. 

Another cd item I won't ever buy...cd detergent.  I tried most of them:  Rockin Green, Country Save, Tiny Bubbles, Mountain Green Free and Clear, Lulu's, Ruby Moon, Crunchy Clean.  Ended up with stink and bad ammonia within days.  Was stripping every month and doing a super complicated wash routine, using tons of water.  At my wits end, I tried Tide in August and the dipes have been stink and ammonia free since then.  Haven't even contemplated stripping the diapers in 8 months now.  Using far less water, my wash routine is just a push of some buttons and ONE cycle rather than me running the wash 3 times, standing around adding extra water to the load, dropping wet towels in....  The nasty chemicals in Tide actually work to CLEAN the diapers!  

I

#66 of 85 Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I've never had any great success with CD detergents either - I did find that NatureClean works, and it's much cheaper than the CD detergents. Bonus!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#67 of 85 Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Haha!  I use Tide, too.  I'm sure I'm destroying the earth one load of laundry at a time, but at least my clothes are clean, and my diapers don't stink.  I just cannot bring myself to try a more natural detergent at the expense of having stinky diapers, or ruining my brand-new, very expensive washing machine.  

I do love my SoftBums, though.  I heard that they re-did their print because of the fading problem, so maybe that won't be an issue now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl01 View Post

Another cd item I won't ever buy...cd detergent.  I tried most of them:  Rockin Green, Country Save, Tiny Bubbles, Mountain Green Free and Clear, Lulu's, Ruby Moon, Crunchy Clean.  Ended up with stink and bad ammonia within days.  Was stripping every month and doing a super complicated wash routine, using tons of water.  At my wits end, I tried Tide in August and the dipes have been stink and ammonia free since then.  Haven't even contemplated stripping the diapers in 8 months now.  Using far less water, my wash routine is just a push of some buttons and ONE cycle rather than me running the wash 3 times, standing around adding extra water to the load, dropping wet towels in....  The nasty chemicals in Tide actually work to CLEAN the diapers!  

I

#68 of 85 Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Bum Genius is the only diaper that I ever hated.  It leaked every single time.  It also fit weird and I hate velcro. 

I'd never buy any velcro diaper again, I'm not nice enough to diapers in the wash and I destroy velcro really quickly.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#69 of 85 Old 05-23-2011, 07:15 PM

I think gDiapers are a serious love-them-or-hate-them diaper. A lot of the moms here on MDC seem to hate them - we use them exclusively and love, love, love them. Simple fit, simple look, simple wash. However we are also ECers so I don't have to worry about absorbency because they're more of a back-up than a soak-up-the-pee kinda thing for us. Anyway - yes, we love them too! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer78 View Post

I LOVE gDiapers! They work for us.  We had some leaks in the beginnig, before I figured out the liner needs to be in one certain spot, like underwear.  Velcro never curled much even if dried in a dryer, usually I just hand dry the covers though.   We only use gDiapers - with gmd prefolds, sometimes with the disposable liner when traveling and don't have access to a washing machine.  smile.gif

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#70 of 85 Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

gDiapers. The disposable inserts chaffed, the cloth inserts weren't absorbant enough to hold more than one pee and were hard to wash, the velcro on the covers curled, and they weren't tight enough on DD's legs, so she was constantly leaking. 

I don't think I'll buy another of the Kissa's Marvels OS cover. my 21 pounder is wearing it on the largest setting, and it's still tight in the belly and legs. it has very tight elastic. 

Totally agree about g-diapers. Same experience here, chaffy, weird to break up the insert, didn't last very long so we ended up using prefolds in them for a while but the plastic liner didn't breathe at ALL and the velcro curled within a month and got really hard to use. Thank god they were on sale!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#71 of 85 Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 PM

I like Kushies.....I see most don't!  i use a pocket kushies at night on a toddler and it's the only none leaker we have used through the night. She never wears them during the day though. The fit isn't quite right.

I bought homemade ones on ebay. Soooo cute and soft but they leak, always, instantly. I pad them out but they are already so bulky. I trusted the feedback, which was super good?

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#72 of 85 Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 AM

fuzzi buns OS and sunbaby. I am not a fan of the fuzzi bunz it is too hard to stuff, sunbabys quality is poor imo, i love bumgenius though...

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#73 of 85 Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Bryan Fuller View Post

I like Kushies.....I see most don't!  i use a pocket kushies at night on a toddler and it's the only none leaker we have used through the night. She never wears them during the day though. The fit isn't quite right.

I bought homemade ones on ebay. Soooo cute and soft but they leak, always, instantly. I pad them out but they are already so bulky. I trusted the feedback, which was super good?

ok, just to disagree, this is the other diaper brand i'd never buy again. They fit horribly on dd, too high of a rise, too big leg holes, leaky, just all around annoying, but g-diapers were worse. And we also did EC very intensly at the age when we used them and I still hated them. For Ec, esp in summer, I preferred a tri-fold prefold with a sumo belt, nothing, or a fitted cloth with no cover. Dd was changed immediately and still developped a bad rash from then because of the stupid plastic liner, which was flimsy, and the snaps broke.

I'm so glad some of you find they work though, I was so excited abot the concept when i was pregnant!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#74 of 85 Old 06-26-2011, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Bum Genius...Of the 12 I bought (for night time use) 8 of them leaked! It was really annoying. We ended up marking them on the label to see if and sure enough.

If I had it to do all over again (sigh) I would buy the bummis (or any cover) with snaps instead of the velcro! The velcro wears out SO FAST!

For detergent I use 7th gen delicate care. That works really well. Doesn't the Tide breakdown the PUL and make it leak or wick?

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#75 of 85 Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Happy Heinis. They leak at the legs, both with skinny DD and with chunky DS. Plus the velcro gave up, too.
BumGenius with velcro is trouble, but I fixed the problem by adding an additional velcro stripe on top, which keeps them securely closed.
#76 of 85 Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaprovides View Post. Doesn't the Tide breakdown the PUL and make it leak or wick?

I don't have any leaking or wicking problems and we use Tide.  We use the regular scent powder Tide.

Mama to three

#77 of 85 Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 PM

gdiapers! I had cloth so not sure about their disposable ones but they leaked like mad, especially EBF poop and even pee very often

#78 of 85 Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Happy Heiny's! I was just reading something the other day about how all these celebrities use them. We've tried a LOT of different kinds and those are my least favorite - especially considering how much I paid for it (I just HAD to have the silly monkeys print). We CD twins and are rough on our diapers but this diaper was useless to us after a couple months.

And while I do wish I'd bought my BGs in snaps, hook and loop was the only way I could DH on board!

Here's a blog post I did about all the different kinds of diapers we've tried http://wellroundedhippie.com/2010/06/26/loving-cloth/. And here's another about life after 18 months of CDing http://wellroundedhippie.com/2011/05/18/cloth-diapering-18-months-later/.

#79 of 85 Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM

I know Kushies has been said several times but I have to agree.  I've only tried a Kushies cover and absolutely hated it.  From day one I could feel moisture being leaked from the extremely cheap PUL.  It's now a swim diaper/cover because I will never trust them to hold anything

MotherEase AIO's - - They were super bulky and really hard to wash/dry.  After 1st baby they started to get holes in them....

I do however like my MotherEase Sandy's fitteds.  I find that they fit really well and aren't too bulky under a Thirsties cover.

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#80 of 85 Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Oh, and G Diapers - Bleck.  I really did not like them at all.

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#81 of 85 Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM

this IS funny.. someone upthread said they hate happy heinies, but they're our absolute favorites!

i wouldn't spend money on BG's again, ours have completely worn out, and they were the most expensive of the bunch.  everything else has held up but those.

someone else said they'd never buy applecheeks.  we have one.. it's not that bad.. unless it's a poopy one!  you have to actually touch the poop to get the insert out b/c the pocket is in the middle of the diaper! 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#82 of 85 Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM

They make great Dishcloths!

#83 of 85 Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural momma86 View Post

gDiapers!  The Velcro stopped working after only one or two washes. 

This is so weird because after about a year for us, the velcro is still so strong it's actually a little hard for me to open.  We love our gdiaper covers, they are the easiest and best fitting we have. We use GMD prefolds or flats in them.  We've never had a leak with them. 

It must be a difference in how they are washed?

The one diaper I would never buy again is the Under the Nile fitted diapers.  http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/underthenile.htm

It fell apart after only a couple uses. The seams came undone, the velcro curled back, and the cotton felt really hard and scratchy.  I was so disappointed that a $15 diaper would be so bad, when the $1 flats are great.

#84 of 85 Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM

ANYTHING with aplix (velcro, for newbies reading this).  I ONLY buy diapers with snaps now after dealing with some quick deterioration of aplix on Thirsties duo wraps.

Thirsties hemp prefolds--when wet they feel, look and become like a bunched up soaked t-shirt.

Thirsties duo wraps with snaps--the sizing snaps don't stay snapped!

FuzziBunz OS--I can never get them to fit right and they always leave red marks on my baby's skin.  Also, despite never machine drying my covers they have delaminated on the inside.

I've also had issues with the gDiapers snap-in stretching out (again, I don't machine dry my covers). 

I know BumGenius has a bad rap for its aplix, but I purchased six BG 4.0 with SNAPS and they are WONDERFUL!  My husband and I LOVE them and use them as our main diaper. Never have had a leak, always fit perfectly, and stuff easily. 

Great thread!

#85 of 85 Old 06-30-2011, 06:26 AM

I also dislike my BG3.0s because I don't feel they have held up well.

The Under the Nile fitteds I have are great.  They were used when I got them, and still look brand new.  Very absorbant, trim, and I love the fit.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Tags
Diaper Dude , Bumgenius , Bumgenius Diaper Sprayer , Bumble Bags Rebecca Tote

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page