What Diaper would you NEVER buy again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so excited and thankful for the wonderful advice that I have received here!

Just yesterday, we were able to see our little one moving around and confirm that he is indeed an "Eddie"!!!  

So the stash-adding is to continue!  

So far, I have:

24 GMD (1doz nb, 1doz sm)

6 covers

1 Goodmama

1 BumGenius

1 Wonderworks

10 WAHM AIOs

1 Totbots (NOT newborn)

Everything I own except for the Totbots is used.  I'd love to have new, but at the prices I'm able to find others...I'm not going complain.  And in ALL honesty, when we're done with them, I'm going to resell them anyway!  

So, this isn't a "what more do I need" thread?  This is a "What is teh ONE DIAPER you would NEVER recommend" thread?

I didn't buy a bunch of Kushies after reading reviews here.  Is there anything that you just feel was a waste of money (for any reason)?

Thank you!

Mrs B

#2 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 AM

I wouldn't buy another KnickerNappies One Size diaper - or any diaper where the snaps are hidden/on the side.  I do not find them easy to use at all.  Diaper works fine though and their inserts are awesome for overnight.

Mama to three

#3 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 AM

It's a total no brainer, but Gerber prefolds! I cringe when I see someone buying them for cloth diapering because I hate to think that they might give up cloth diapering because of one awful experience with a really terrible diaper.
triquetra123 likes this.

Mom of three, wife and author of The Eco-Friendly Family blog.

#4 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 AM

...I use Gerber prefolds stuffed inside 2 layers of flannel - we have homemade flannel pockets.  They are my favorite pocket stuffer!

Mama to three

#5 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 AM

The ones I've tried just won't absorb anything. I prepped some like my GMDs even with no luck, though they were meant as diapers not just boosters, so maybe that would be different? Their make just doesn't seem to be nearly as effective as a standard cotton prefold - at least with traditinal use in my experience.

#6 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 07:49 AM

They aren't as absorbent as some of my other ones (I don't know what brands I bought them all used), but I think having the flannel around them helps.  I don't have any leaking with them at all.  But, I have bought them 4 different times and all 4 packs washed up differently and I definitely like some versions of the Gerber prefolds better than others.

(Sorry for detracting from the main question OP!)

Mama to three

#7 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 AM

That's really nice to hear, thanks for the insight. I've been so worried over people trying them and then giving up cloth - because I know how important that first impression is.

I'm sorry too OP! *zips it*

#8 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM

I was not impressed with Monkey Doodlez. Or Wickeez fitteds. I don't feel like Bamboozles are particularly great either - they lose absorbency as the bamboo wears away, and you're left with more polyester than anything. They certainly won't last more than one child in regular rotation, IME.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#9 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 AM

I agree with the Bamboozles - I tried them but didn't feel that they absorbed all that much, especially for the cost at the time.

#10 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM

See, and i love my Knickernappies. And side snaps work way better for us.

I wouldnt touch the Bumboo dipes again. Supposedly a OS, but the snap design is awful. There are not nearly enough snap settings to get from infant to toddler. My guy was about 20 lbs when we tried them and i couldnt get them to stay on. When i contacted the company, i was advised i should have purchased the NB dipe and not the OS (NB dipe goes up to 12 lbs). Needless to say, they were promptly resold.

The other one I wouldnt touch is the Babykicks OS pocket. Again, horrible snap design. And the insert they come with only holds a single pee. Its the same as the Babykicks doubler we use at night.

Tweedlebugs OS pocket - not a OS. The rise snaps would.not.stay.snapped. Seriously frustrating. A nice cheap pocket for a toddler, but there are far better choices for OS.

Oh, the Little Beetle OS dipe is another one. It developed holes within 2 weeks. I love their hemp dipes, but the OS is all cotton and just not durable at all.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#11 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Applecheeks

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#12 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM

gDiapers. The disposable inserts chaffed, the cloth inserts weren't absorbant enough to hold more than one pee and were hard to wash, the velcro on the covers curled, and they weren't tight enough on DD's legs, so she was constantly leaking. 

I don't think I'll buy another of the Kissa's Marvels OS cover. my 21 pounder is wearing it on the largest setting, and it's still tight in the belly and legs. it has very tight elastic. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#13 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

I wouldnt touch the Bumboo dipes again. Supposedly a OS, but the snap design is awful. There are not nearly enough snap settings to get from infant to toddler. My guy was about 20 lbs when we tried them and i couldnt get them to stay on. When i contacted the company, i was advised i should have purchased the NB dipe and not the OS (NB dipe goes up to 12 lbs). Needless to say, they were promptly resold.

The other one I wouldnt touch is the Babykicks OS pocket. Again, horrible snap design. And the insert they come with only holds a single pee. Its the same as the Babykicks doubler we use at night.

Oh, interesting. I was just getting set to buy a Bumboo...hmmm... maybe I should think again.

The Babykicks OS - is that the 3g? I was just looking at those too... LOL.

Also, I just noticed in this thread how many diapers have a "z" in the name!

#14 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 PM

I wouldn't buy Bum Genius again.  Mine didn't hold up well at all.  The velcro was shot before my first kid was out of them (and she potty trained before she was 2!).  We bought some one size Happy Heinys that held up so much better.  I also loved the Fuzzi Bunz one size.  We actually were gifted some old school FB that had been through 2 kids and they will last us at least another baby.

Healthcare is a human right!
#15 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

SunBaby.  (I own the 4.0s.) I heard a LOT of great reviews on them but they are just plain cheap.  The inserts make my hands break out and don't absorb much of anything.  If I try to double stuff them I can't even put pants on my DS because they get so bulky.  THEN they end up leaking pee everywhere.  The *first* time I washed them the brand tags started coming off.  Never again, never again.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#16 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM

I'm not a bumgenius fan except for the econobum.. The flips and BG pockets jsut dont fit my DD well.. I can't say though I'd NEVER buy It jsut have to find a smoking hot deal if say a new design came out...  I like the 6 layer gerber prefolds honestly there the same assorbancy as a standard sized prefold bought online. I cna at least use the others as burb cloths etc.. But the ONE diaper I refuse to invest more in.. The adjust a fit diapers from Little for now.

They are ULTRA cute and I will admit the one I have NOW works fablously... but I just can't promote thes things anymore. I orginally ordered 2 and they took MONTHS to arrive. Custom or not thats insane... And they leaked.. So to be fair I emailed and we did some problem solving .. still leaked so she offered a new design and to send me a new design one for free and if I liked that to replace the other... Seems fair... SO I waited and waited and waited.. FINIALLY it came.. CUTE! NO leaks! yea.. she let me pick the print for my other replacment.. Yet here it is about 6 months since this all started and I still dont have the second diaper.. I lknow it will arrive and it will be beautiful and addorable but I jsut can NOT have this kinda wait its ridiclous.. SO sadly for that reason alone I will buy no more..

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#17 of 85 Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Bumkin AIOs - I had size smalls and they didn't fit around the legs well so everything leaked out!

I've been using BG 2.0/3.0 for 3 years now on my DD (still wears them at night) and they have needed elastic replaced and some velcro too.  It's hard to say if it's the BG fault though since we've been using them for so long.  

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#18 of 85 Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Goodmamas:  Totally over rated. Once DD needs the snap exposed for fit we won't being using them. I'm glad that I bought them used. I just find other fitteds like Little Boppers to give a much better fit and are just as cute and for a MUCH better price.

Mother Ease One Sized: My sis swears by these daipers but they have never been a good fit for my skinny girl. Someone a bit chunkier could probably use them just fine.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#19 of 85 Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View PostOh, interesting. I was just getting set to buy a Bumboo...hmmm... maybe I should think again.

The Babykicks OS - is that the 3g? I was just looking at those too... LOL.

Also, I just noticed in this thread how many diapers have a "z" in the name!

The Babykicks I had was the previous version, looks like they've resolved the snap issue. But looking at it, i was reminded that the pocket opening is in the front, which sucks, IMO. If you have a girl, it may not make a difference, but not being able to get that insert all the way up in the front is a problem w my little fire-hose. I will say that i liked the fleece gussets, but not enough to overlook the rest. If you decide to try them, be sure to buy an extra insert.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#20 of 85 Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Grovia. Ugh. They take forever to become absorbant (we're at 10+ washes already and still not as absorbant as my other dipes) and I hate the snaps on the sides.

#21 of 85 Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 PM

gDiapers. I like the compostable inserts well enough, but only with another cover. They get my vote for worst cover ever. The velcro just dies. the plastic falls apart, curls and is just plain cheap, they look awful... They are my absolute emergency back-up cover, and even then I just try to go without...

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#22 of 85 Old 02-12-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

The Babykicks I had was the previous version, looks like they've resolved the snap issue. But looking at it, i was reminded that the pocket opening is in the front, which sucks, IMO. If you have a girl, it may not make a difference, but not being able to get that insert all the way up in the front is a problem w my little fire-hose. I will say that i liked the fleece gussets, but not enough to overlook the rest. If you decide to try them, be sure to buy an extra insert.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like they're a good choice for us either then - I have enough diapers where the insert falls down at the front already!! Too bad because the fleece gussets intrigued me. :)

#23 of 85 Old 02-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Sarah~~ View Post

gDiapers. I like the compostable inserts well enough, but only with another cover. They get my vote for worst cover ever. The velcro just dies. the plastic falls apart, curls and is just plain cheap, they look awful... They are my absolute emergency back-up cover, and even then I just try to go without...

I have two of these, and I have to agree. I want to love them. They're lovely and trim, and nylon (DS doesn't do well in PUL), and cute! But that velcro is practically useless, and when it comes unstuck from itself, it catches on the elastic waist and wrecks the fabric.

I use them because of the nylon and the flushable inserts, but I wouldn't buy more covers and when they die, I won't replace them. Sigh.

#24 of 85 Old 02-12-2011, 04:14 PM

I tried kushies when ds2 was a baby.  used them once and never again,. 

PatioGardener likes this.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#25 of 85 Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 PM

Kushies ultra AIO (though I managed to resell them used for more than I paid for them? LOL) - they had no leg elastic/gussets

Smartipants pockets

Gerber prefolds

fuzzibunz OS (never fit quite right-leaked on my boys, though I preferred over the other one's I just listed.

knickernappies OS though they work alright, I just don't like the fit around the legs that much - prefer a tad stronger elastic - would never use on a EBF baby

swaddlebees - tried one of their fitteds used and it was horrible

MEOS(mother ease one size) 

MEAF covers (mother ease air flow) the fit sucked on both kids

sandies fitteds cuz they are too bulky and the bulkiness doesn't seem to help the absorbency

Proraps AIO - they work but they wear out fast and I don't like the velcro at all. Not very adjustable either.

Booroi covers. They won't block EBF poo that well and the fit just seemed weird. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#26 of 85 Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 PM

Pretty much anything one size.  Especially if the the size is adjusted by snaps. The fuzzibunz OS I don't mind, but all of my other OS dipes only get used at night. Just too much bulk, at least until babe is bigger.

A while ago, someone on this board pointed out that OS used through several sizes on several children would probably not last anyways. Better to buy sized pockets, and use them for a shorter period of time on more babies, and without the bulk!

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#27 of 85 Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 AM

Fuzzibunz - They kept leaking no matter what and had to be stripped all the time.

#28 of 85 Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonico View Post

It's a total no brainer, but Gerber prefolds! I cringe when I see someone buying them for cloth diapering because I hate to think that they might give up cloth diapering because of one awful experience with a really terrible diaper.

Ack! What's wrong with these? My mom bought me some of those.

#29 of 85 Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 AM

They are very bulky and not very absorbent. They will work, but there are MUCH better prefolds out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoSoul View Post

Ack! What's wrong with these? My mom bought me some of those.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#30 of 85 Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

They are very bulky and not very absorbent. They will work, but there are MUCH better prefolds out there.

Ah, :/ My original intention was to use flats, anyways, so I could use more folds. Sorta figures. >.> Apparently my mom got the "toddler" size, according to the color-coding, so, I may not be able to use these right away then anyway.

Tags
Diaper Dude , Bumgenius , Bumgenius Diaper Sprayer , Bumble Bags Rebecca Tote

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page