CD'ing-- Buy new front load or keep my so-so top load? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So DH and I are simultaneously trying to conceive and trying to refinish our basement. One of the things I'm most excited about is my "new" laundry room, since ours is quite frankly a dump. We plan on cloth diapering, mostly pockets, though likely using them as liners and covers like AI2s.

We bought a new washer and dryer when we bought the house three years ago, so the set will be at least four years old when our fictional baby comes. They are still in great shape, but they were fairly low on the price/quality end. I have had no problems with them with our clothes so far.

I hear all the time that top loads are better for dipes, but obviously have no experience, nor do I know how dated that information is. Honestly-- my only reason to give in to DH who has been wanting a front load for at least two years is the ease of decorating-- it's easier to build a laundry room around a front load-- ie to put a countertop over the washer/dryer set. So yes-- my desire to go front load is purely cosmetic, but I worry that I would be spending more money, perhaps significantly more money, for something of poorer quality for what I want to use it for.

I suppose I'm just looking for feedback. If you had to do it again, would you stick with the top load, and sacrifice a bit of esthetic/counter space, or do you find the front load does the trick just fine for your diapers?

My other question is the necessity of a laundry tub? Ours right now goes unused, and needs to be replaced, but obviously I only want to replace it if it something we'll actually use for the diapers.

thanks everyone!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 13 Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 PM

The only thing i use the laundry tub for is washing my hands.

And if your TL still works, i wouldnt replace it. FL are notorious in CDing circles. Yes, they can do the job, but as many of us here can attest, we each had to figure out what routine worked for our individual machine/dipes/water.

I mean, if the machine were falling apart, i'd say go ahead and replace, but if it still works well, why spend the money, yk? 4 yrs is still pretty new.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 13 Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM

If your set is working, stick with it. However, our washer just died so I decided to get the best of both worlds and got an LG high-efficiency top loader. Love it so far! We got a great discount, and it's HUGE, HE, but because it's still a top-loader I can do rinses and soaks. It has passed the diaper test for me!

Good luck!

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#4 of 13 Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon, RN View Post

If your set is working, stick with it. However, our washer just died so I decided to get the best of both worlds and got an LG high-efficiency top loader. Love it so far! We got a great discount, and it's HUGE, HE, but because it's still a top-loader I can do rinses and soaks. It has passed the diaper test for me!

Good luck!

Totally thread crashing - sorry! Sharon, do you mind telling the model you got (and love)?

I'm also looking for a washer, and i think a top loader HE may be for me! Thanks!

#5 of 13 Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM

I agree with the previous posts! If your washer isn't broken than don't replace it. We've never used a top load for our dipes but I imagine it would be a lot easier because you can use it to soak them. It took me awhile to find a wash routine that work really well for me and I ended up putting the dipes through a few wash cycles with our front load... blush.gif

#6 of 13 Old 02-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Patio, I got an LG- I'm NAK right now (well, NAiPhone lol) but I'll look up the model for you and post a link. So far, I LUV it! joy.gif I even named my machine. She's Lorraine. She has a 5.2 cu ft drum. I seriously need an intervention!

The top loader HE seems to have less maintenance needs than the front loaders, and I like being able to run extra rinses and soaks.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#7 of 13 Old 02-19-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input! Sounds like I'll keep our old machine and design around it. I'm ok with that, I think Ijust needed confirmation that it was the right thing to do.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#8 of 13 Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon, RN View Post

Patio, I got an LG- I'm NAK right now (well, NAiPhone lol) but I'll look up the model for you and post a link. So far, I LUV it! joy.gif I even named my machine. She's Lorraine. She has a 5.2 cu ft drum. I seriously need an intervention!

The top loader HE seems to have less maintenance needs than the front loaders, and I like being able to run extra rinses and soaks.

Thank you so much for looking it up. I'll need to buy in March so I'm looking for recommendations!

#9 of 13 Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 AM

Not sure if this is the same one PP mentioned, but I got an LG WT5001CW in December.  It's a HE TL and I love love love it!  It has the option to add extra water to any cycle, but I find that the bulky/bedding cycle uses a ton of water and is ideal for diapers.

#10 of 13 Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Erika, that's the one we have, too! I haven't quite figured out my optimal CD wash yet, but when I do, I'm going to program it in to the custom program button.

So far, I've done my dipes on the heavy duty load and if you press and hold the extra rinse button, it adds water to the wash/rinse cycle. That's worked for my prefolds just fine so far. Maybe I'll try the bulk/bedding cycle, like you did. I just used that setting to wash DS#1 comforter last night. So happy I can do that at home now!!

#11 of 13 Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM

I have an LG front loader and I love it for washing our cloth diapers. I have to wipe the rubber liner out once a week, but it is a small price to pay! I can wash and dry my diapers in an hour. I run a sanitize cycle once a week, sometimes every two weeks now that my daughter is older and most of her poo's are solid and rarely leave anything on the diaper. People often think that I can't soak my diapers in our washer, but I can. My dryer also has an AIR setting, so I can dry my covers quickly if I don't have overnight to wait.

#12 of 13 Old 03-03-2011, 10:37 AM

HATE washing cloth diapers in a front loader.  Hate hate hate hate!!

Top loaders allow soaking too.  I could never do without that.  Even the nastiest old top loaders have gotten our diapers perfectly clean.

#13 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM

I have a FL, and really haven't had too many issues washing diapers in it.  Sure, I add more water to the machine, but that was an easy fix - my dh rigged up a spray hose for me.  I washed diapers in my parents' TL, and had a lot of ammonia issues - it was very frustrating since I thought I'd have less trouble with a TL.

I think it's all in finding your particular routine that works for your washer and your water.

But I wouldn't replace a 4 year old washer that is working fine.  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page