Anyone make their own CD's? Also a question re: one-size diapers and newborns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love sewing and am thinking of making my own cloth diapers. I'd like to make one-size pockets, like bumGenius diapers. I'm looking at these two patterns:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68678551/happy-snap-one-size-diaper-pattern

http://verybaby.com/ecom-prodshow/one-size-pocket-diaper-pattern.html

Has anyone had any experience with either of those? I might even just buy both patterns and try one of each to see what I like, but I won't really know how they work still lol.

Also, I've heard one-sizes are still pretty bulky on newborns.  I might make some pockets in a small size to get us through the first month or so.  How many do you think I would need?  And then if I do that, how many one-size diapers should I make?  Would I be better off just making small and medium pockets and skipping the one-size diapers?

FWIW, this will be our last baby, if that makes any difference :)

Thanks!

#2 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just had a flashback to newborn "tar poo" haha.  Maybe I should just do disposables for the first few weeks and then switch to the one-size diapers?  Has anyone else done that?

#3 of 10 Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 PM

I intended to sew pockets or AIOs for our son, after the newborn stage.  In my research, the Jalie pattern was very, very highly regarded ... as well as one from Darling Diapers (I found the latter confusing). 

We started with flats, for the newborn period, with Thirsties covers.  GMD flats were $12 a dozen, and Thirsties covers $11.  I also got a few Imse Vimse wool.

In the end, we liked the flats so much, we got rid of our Bum Genius and switched back to Flats with Flip, Imse Vimse wool, or G Diaper covers.  While it's theoretically easier to put on a AIO or pocket, the laundering and "getting ready to use" process was easier for us, with flats. 

The Jalie pattern has options for sewing just covers, too. 

#4 of 10 Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansMommy View Post

I just had a flashback to newborn "tar poo" haha.  Maybe I should just do disposables for the first few weeks and then switch to the one-size diapers?  Has anyone else done that?

We used as many 'sposies as we could "steal" from the hospital.  By the time they were gone, the "tar poo" was gone too ;)  DS fit into Flip covers within the first month, but he also was a big baby.  I can't help with OS dipes, though.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 10 Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Ime, OS don't fit newborns well. BUT I do love having the adjustability of OS diapers over sized diapers once you're past the nb stage. We could use OS diapers on ds from about a month old (with smaller inserts than they come with), but he grew FAST in the beginning! There were times when his legs were chubbier, or his belly was chubbier, and we could adjust the rise to make them fit better (if you have 3 rise snaps, you can even just snap the middle snap down and leave the outer ones unsnapped for kids with big thighs), where with sized cd's they either fit or they don't.

I've also heard (and experienced) that pockets don't do well for nb's either. With fitteds or pf's and covers, you can leave them loose and they still work fine. With pockets, you risk leakage with skinny nb chicken legs. lol.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#6 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM

The only OS diaper I can imagine working on a newbie that I am personally familiar with is the imse vimse contour diapers. The flannel ones will fold down really tiny and the terry ones will fold down decently small. I believe the terry ones are a bit more absorbent though. 

I had some regular, cheaper doublers that I used with them but once my kiddo got to around 5-6 months or so, there was a need for more absorbency. I ended up getting some hemp trifold inserts on clearance that I have used with those ever since. I did find them to start to get on the small side at around age 2. So, it's sort of more like newborn to 2 (maybe 2 and a half) age range in my opinion. I used those contours with wrap style double gusset covers with much success. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Check out Rita's Rump Pocket diaper pattern. It's a free pattern and she has many suggestions on how to make them AIO or covers or simply as pocket fitteds. I made my first pocket fitteds from these yesterday and didn't add the seam allowance so they would be on the smaller side since I'm planning on doing EC. They turned out super cute.

Here's the link:

http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/

Homebirthing, bedsharing, term breastfeeding attached mama to my baby girl born 7/20/2012. I love to knit.gifsewmachine.gif and bellyhair.gif. I am passionate about familybed1.gifbfinfant.giflearning.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif and trying to make all kinds of crafty things for my little one!
#8 of 10 Old 03-12-2011, 05:10 AM

I like the RRP pattern and also Cloth Revolution.  Cloth Revolution has a great free sized pattern for pockets with outer PUL.  We also adjusted the RRPs and made smaller ones for the newborn stage.

For "tar" poo, I just cut scraps of fleece I had and laid them in the diaper.  Tar poo washed off of the fleece just fine.

Mama to three

#9 of 10 Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM

http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_fitteds.html

This is another free pattern that has a pocket option.  I actually made them without pocket or soaker pad.  I use flats pad folded on the inside, and then throw it all into the pail without having to unstuff anything.  The elastic around the legs helps keep the poo in place.  I also made them closure-less and just pin them to size.  Fairly quick and easy to sew, and very quick to wash/dry.  I used a cotton velour for the stretch and softness.  For now, as the twins are newborns and don't pee terribly heavily, we use them coverless at home.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#10 of 10 Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 PM

I personally use One size and they worked great for a newborns.With that in mind there is something I just love about itty bity newborn diapers. The Snap rise OS do not fit from birth to potty IMHo, so I would go with prefolds and covers for the first bit then switch. ;) You could even make your own pre-folds out of some old teeshirts that would be perfect for a new baby.;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page