What are these red dots? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A few of ds's diapers and wipes have red dots on them, and I have no clue what they are. It kind of looks like the diapers have the measles or something. It's only on a few wipes and diapers. Not even really on the diapers, but on the hemp inserts (we use Thirsties Duos). The pocket and the terry cloth are still white. The pieces that have the spots are pretty covered in them, but the affected pieces are a very small portion of our stash.

DS does not have a diaper rash and I don't think it's blood since it literally looks like the hemp liner and cotton wipes have the measles. Just lots and lots of red dots (pretty uniform in size).

Any idea what could be causing these red spots?

#2 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 PM

It could be mould. Oxy or bleach should get rid of that, though. Are they tiny spots or large?

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

#3 of 7 Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Small, like dots from a pen. And the cover every surface they are on! Do I just wash the diapers with Oxy Clean? I already threw away the wipes, but I do have on spotted hemp insert.

#4 of 7 Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

bump

Does anyone have any ideas about what this is or how to get rid of it?

I threw away all of the affected wipes and the single affected hemp insert, and today another hemp insert came out of the drier with the spots. The dots definitely spread across all the wipes, so I tossed them all.

I've searched and searched online and can't figure out what this is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 of 7 Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 PM

Do they smell burnt?  I know it sounds strange, but is it possible your dryer is burning the fabric?  I have had clothes come out of the dryer at times with small spots because they were literally burned by the intense heat.  Seeing as how you say it is when they come out of the dryer and that little one doesn't actually have rash, I'd be suspicious of a too-hot dryer?

Just a thought, maybe completely crazy.  hide.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I stuffed my nose into the stuffer, but it didn't smell like anything. Is that weird? I would think it should smell like something... mold, ammonia, burnt, something.

#7 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM

Y'know, if it doesn't have a smell and there's not a rash, I wouldn't stress it.  Seriously, no harm, no foul.  winky.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page