Will I need newborn CDs?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Baby is measuring pretty large so, they are saying I am most likely going to be having a large baby love.gif My question is will I still need newborn sized CD if I have a 10lb baby?? I was planning on doing a newborn rental package, then when I turn them in I get some of the back money towards the purchase of the next sizes. I am planning on using prefolds with thirsties covers for the majority of diapering with a few AIO style for on the go. I am thinking the size 1 thirsties covers will work either way, but in the package I would get fitted instead of using prefolds.

I really don't want to spend the money on the newborn rentals if I won't need them however, I also don't want there to be a fit issues. Anyone have experience CDing a big newborn??

Thanks, Megan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Well, DS2 was 9lbs 2oz, and it was quite a shock for me. I was expecting a smaller baby, so I got the NB size PF's. They were too snug to snappi, so I trifolded them. I really like the Thirsties covers, but they seem to run small. Get the Duo wrap if you can so you can adjust it to the size you need early on.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We just got home with DS today. He was 9 lb. 5oz. at birth, and at the moment is between 8.5 and 9 lbs. I'm about to try a newborn dipe on him--I had a bunch in my stash. Actually, the smallest ones i have might be preemie size, and I'm pretty sure they'll be too small. DD wore newborn size until like 4 mo., but she was a peanut in comparison to DS!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks love.gif I am planning to get the duo wrap thristies, and I guess I will get the infant size prefolds and just trifold them if too small like you did. I am just going to skip the fitteds and do this, it will be cheaper too.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4mady View Post

Thanks love.gif I am planning to get the duo wrap thristies, and I guess I will get the infant size prefolds and just trifold them if too small like you did. I am just going to skip the fitteds and do this, it will be cheaper too.

Just so you know, the infant prefolds are not the same as NB prefolds. Infant prefolds should fit bulky on a newborn and will fit up to size medium covers typically. So, I don't think you'd have any issues with the fit unless your baby were to come out surprisingly smaller than you expected maybe. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Just so you know, the infant prefolds are not the same as NB prefolds. Infant prefolds should fit bulky on a newborn and will fit up to size medium covers typically. So, I don't think you'd have any issues with the fit unless your baby were to come out surprisingly smaller than you expected maybe. :)

Thank you, that clarifies it a bit better . When I think of Infant prefolds it makes me think they are only going to fit a small infant. Good to know!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM

My DS was almost 9 lbs, but he was compact and had a tiny little butt. LOL  We used disposables in the beginning for him but would have definitely needed newborn cloth if we'd used it.  DD was 10 1/2 lbs and not solid and compact like DS was.  She was just FAT.  She went straight into size 1 disposables and was in 3's by just a few weeks old.  She could have skipped newborn cloth entirely.  It could go either way really.  Since you don't REALLY know how big the baby will be ya know?  Even a 10 lb'er can be small, depending on how they are built.  Couldn't hurt to have them, or at least a newborn pack of disposables to hold you over a few days until you know what's going on.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Most infant prefolds fit 5-15 lb. Even my giant (9lb2oz at birth, 15 lb at two months) got decent use out of them. For covers, Thirsties Duos, or Bummies smalls will work from day one on for months. I would do Thristies Duo pockets instead of AIOs since you will get the fit from day one through 18lb. On the go they will work the same as AIOs (they unstuff them selves) and all you have to do is stuff them after the laundry. They will also take far less time in the dryer. 

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Old 03-22-2011, 04:03 PM

There are also Thristies Duo fitteds just out if you want a fitted that will be sure to fit for some time. Same 6-18 lb size one.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. I ordered some infant prefolds since like you said they will fit for a while and I plan to use the thirsties Duo covers. How many times should I wash them, I think I read like 6 times before use? Also I ordered some bumgenius AIO 3.0 because they were onsale, how many times should I wash them? Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 AM

If the bumgenius are synthetic, once should be sufficient. If they are natural/cotton type, then you'd need to wash them a minimum of probably 3 times - 6 for full absorbency. If the bumgenius are synthetic, do not wash them with the prefolds until the prefolds are prepped as the natural oils can get trapped in the synthetic materials. (microfiber and microfleece)

Yes, you need to wash and dry your prefolds 6 times if they are natural (brown toned.) Use hot water if you can. If they are the bleached ones, then you wouldn't need to do as much prepping. I'd think probably 1 or 2 washes and drying sessions then. HTH

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 AM

DD was under 7lbs at birth but now weighs over 10lbs at 7 weeks. She wears infant prefolds and Bummi superbrite newborn covers as well as homemade preemie covers (no way they'd fit on a preemie, it's more likely a newborn size). Thirsties XS are still huge on her, despite the weight! So you never know, a baby might weigh over 10lbs but can have a tiny heiny still.

DS weighed 15lbs at 2 months and wore infant prefolds up to 10 months, I started to trifold at 8 months or so, then switched to premium prefolds at 12 months and pockets at 14 months (he was too wiggly, and luckily all my prefolds were great factory seconds sales, so I could justify the expense).

I must add though that the Sunbaby 4.0 diapers fit her now on the smallest setting which she wears at night when she sleeps 5 hour stretches. I also have BG 3.0 and 4.0 diapers and they are way too big on the smallest setting still. I own Drybees and Fuzzibunz size S and I'd guesstimate they won't fit until she hits 13-15 pounds. Body shapes do play an important role!

User Tag List