reusable system for soiled cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

there are many reasons i want to try cloth diapering after my baby is born, and obviously the environment is one of the them.  using a diaper pail with a plastic bag liner and zip lock baggies on the road still seems wasteful to me.  is there a better way to store soiled cloth diapers until you are ready to wash?  something reusable, waterproof and washable?

#2 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM

there are lots of companies that make wet bags (for in the diaper bag) and pail liners out of PUL (same material used in a lot of diaper covers). 

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 7 Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Yes, that would be wasteful and gross!

As the PP said there are TONS of companies that make wet bags, hanging bags, or pail liners.  Just look up "wet bag" on etsy or look on any cloth diaper site.  They make lots of cute prints and many different sizes (one for cloth wipes, one for diaper bag, bigger for longer outings, etc).

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#4 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM

You can also pick up wool 'wet bags', just lanolize like the wool covers and they don't leak. I have one and LOVE it.

#5 of 7 Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We never bothered with a liner for the nappy bucket, we just stuck them straight it. The bucket had a lid so no smell issues. I'd give it a quick wipe out with an old wash cloth after sticking the nappies in the washer, then throw the cloth in with them.

We had a PUL wet bag for bringing wet nappies home. I preferred that to just using a plastic bag, mainly because as I only had one wet bag I'd need to take it next time we went out so I rarely forgot wet nappies in the car. On the occasions I used a plastic bag they tended to get forgotten.

#6 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 PM

I made 4 PUL pail liners for DD. They are now almost 2.5 years old and are still going strong for her little brother. We also have some wetbags for out and about.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#7 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM

We have two pail liners (made from PUL like covers) and love them. Elastic on top so they stay in the pail, then hold them over the washer to dump everything in and throw them in too. Never have to touch the old dirties. We have Wammies, but Planet Wise is another great brand.

For on the go, wet bags are perfect and come in a huge variety of prints. The best have a zipper and most have a cotton print outside and waterproof inside. My favourite are Monkey Foot Design. I have quite a variety of sizes, but most of the time I use one that holds two diapers. I also take them to swimming to hold our wet stuff. Some people skip the diaper pail and use a large wet bag instead.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page