Cloth Diapers for Newborns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking to buy cloth diapers.  Are they good for newborns with their imbilical cords healing?  I know the disposable diapers have the cut outs but I don't see that with cloth diapers and I am concerned that with cloth diapers it would keep the cord moist.  Looking into buying Sandy's cloth diapers as they were recommended to me.  Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

#2 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM

My boys wore cloth from day/night one.  We use flat diapers and just fold the diaper down in front to let the umbilical scar dry and heal.

#3 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM

I swear by Kissaluvs newborn fitteds like THESE.  The newborn size allows you to snap down for the cord!!  

Married: 02/04   -   SAHM to Son: April '09   -    Pregnant: Due April '12

#4 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 AM

We're using the Bum Genius now (they rock!), but until the cord fell off we used the cotton pre-folds.  Even though we folded them down, it still rubbed on the cord, but it's cotton so it could still breath!  Happy with the decision:-)  Cord fell off very quickly.

#5 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 AM

I'm partial to fuzzy bunz all in ones. So soft...so adjustable...so cute...and soooo worth the money.

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#6 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Hi,

I've cloth diapered 2 kiddos from birth and I'll tell you what I've figured out that has worked for us.

First of all, the Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius one sized diapers typically to not fit newborns right away. At least not my 6lb babies! We used prefolds for DS but they just didn't hold any pee and leaked out the sides. I do love prefolds though, but his skinny legs were hard to get a tight wrap around with them.

For DD we found Raven Tree Diapers for newborns. They are sooo great. (Actually I have a bunch I need to sell...) They can be folded down and adjusted however you want and you use a snappi to hold them in place. Make sure to use an unstreched, small sized snappi. These diapers wash well, are soft, and are super absorbant. You can get them with snaps, but I recommend going without so you can fold the diaper down and get a better personalized fit using the snappi.

Bummis Super Whisper Wraps in the NB size are fantastic for these diapers. Also, woolies work well -- either longies or shorties.

All in all, my babies' cords fell off whether they were completely dry or not. I really didn't do much with them other than make sure they were clean by wiping around them with a bit of water on a clean cloth. They fell out and healed fine.

Hope this helps!

#7 of 7 Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 PM

We primarily use prefolds and flats with thirsties covers (they're my fave) they did irritate the umbilical stump some, so just watch out for that!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page