Cloth Diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking to buy cloth diapers.  Are they good for newborns with their imbilical cords healing?  I know the disposable diapers have the cut outs but I don't see that with cloth diapers and I am concerned that with cloth diapers it would keep the cord moist.  Looking into buying Sandy's cloth diapers as they were recommended to me.  Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

#2 of 8 Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM

I used prefolds for both of my little ones at birth, with wrap covers. (I made DD1s wraps, but used Thirsties XS for DD2.)

I just folded down the prefold at the front. The wrap style covers that I used were cut low enough that they didn't interfere with their umbilical stumps.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#3 of 8 Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 PM

I use AIO, OS and pockets, I've always just folded it down until it heals.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#4 of 8 Old 03-18-2011, 10:45 AM

I love prefolds and thirsties covers, however the thirsties did irritate the umbilical stump so just be watchful of it.

#5 of 8 Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 PM

There are lots of NB-sized fitteds that have snap downs for the umbilical cord. Don't know about Sandy's, but I know both Kissaluvs and Swaddlebees do.

#6 of 8 Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM

There are lots of options as mentioned above, but I wanted to chime in and say that it depends on your baby's size what will fit. My DD was quite small (6lb 4.5oz) and Thirsties XS as well as Prorap newborn (has a cutout too) were hhuuuugeee on her, I mean it nearly covered her sternum! If you expect a baby on the smaller side, go with Bummi Superbrite newborn covers. They have the cutout and sit very low, have leg gussets and are just wonderful. I use them with infant prefolds (snappied) and love it. I have fitted diapers too but find prefolds nicer as they get more snug. We have not had any leaks, and when she wore newborn sposies poop leaked out the back opening (until I got my Bummis she wore sposies as everything else was sitting on her cord, which didn't come off until 14 days!).

#7 of 8 Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 PM

We used the nb/preemie fuzzi bunz last time and they worked great!

#8 of 8 Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The article I wanted while I was buying my first set and doing lots of research!

http://lynays.blogspot.com/2011/07/diapers-finally_15.html

I always just folded the cloth diapers down, never rubbed the uc.  

"When one who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page