Seventh Generation Diapers EXPOSED - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

CBC just aired this expose in Canada on the truth behind "natural" and "organic" product labeling. As it turns out, Seventh Generation is just as deceitful as any other company: they DYE the diapers brown so that they appear to be "natural". They operate on the claim that their product is chlorine free, so they dye the diapers brown to make them appear to be unbleached. Also, since most big diaper companies are not using chlorine in their diapers anymore (especially not the kind that causes cancer), this makes Seventh Generation NO DIFFERENT than any other sposie on the market. Check out this expose for proof that those of us who tried Seventh Generation thinking they are better for our babies were duped into paying 4X times more for a dyed brown disposable. Despicable.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/lousylabels/

Makes me feel better about my decision to cloth diaper, but we were using Seventh Generation at night occasionally.

#2 of 21 Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 AM

wow, I totally wondered about that, because the Whole Foods store brand chlorine free diapers are white. The brown is totally a fashion statement! Thanks for the heads up.

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#3 of 21 Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Crazy--I was planning on buying some Seventh Generation diapers as a back up for cloth, especially after they got a higher rating than some cloth diapers on this green product rating site. I had it bookmarked and now I can't find it!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 21 Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 AM

And I'd almost jump on the bandwagon of wanting a class action lawsuit for the extra money we spent on 7th gen over regular diapers, but they were the only disposable diaper that didn't put welts all over my dd's legs (something to do with the elastic...she was allergic to the elastic in the regular brand diapers).

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 21 Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 AM

That's nuts.  I much preferred Nature Babycare diapers.  Hopefully they are really made the way they claim. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 21 Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM

How annoying! I have paid $24 a pack for 7th gen! We use cloth, but I do buy sposies when we travel and daycare. Sometimes I have used the PC Green sposies for daycare and they are much cheaper. It makes me feel much better about that becuase I felt guilty about not buying the 7th gen!

Apart from the bleaching etc what I really like about the 7th gen and PC diapers is that they don't have frangrance. I refuse to use Huggies or Pampers.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#7 of 21 Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM

wow. another reason i'm so glad i switched to cloth. i started out using 7th gen, but they leaked like crazy. eventually i was using the target brand disposables because i gave up on green in desperation trying to keep the poo in. but now in cloth i've never had a blowout ever.

7th gen is pretty bad about dishonest labeling. a lot of their cleaners have some pretty harmful ingredients but are still labeled as safe and natural. it's another excuse to overcharge. i quit buying their expensive "green" cleaners before i quit buying their expensive "green" diapers.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

#8 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Okay, so I read the interview with 7th Gen that's linked next to the video, and it's not as simple as "they dye their diapers brown to make them look unbleached."

What I'm getting from the interview is that ALL diaper companies use "pigment" in their diapers - it's just that most use white pigment. It's to make them look more aesthetically pleasing. I'm not an expert but it sounds like without this pigment (dye?), you can see the pee (gasp!) and that turns people off and they won't buy the product. 7th Gen maintains that there was quite a visceral reaction in test groups to a diaper without the pigment and it became clear that if they wanted to sell their product, it would need the pigment. They chose a brown pigment as differentiation (and yeah, because it looks more natural). They were forthcoming about the fact that chlorine bleach isn't used in any diapers.

So based on this, I'm not sure that I'd boycott or sue 7th Gen for essentially doing what every other diaper company does. I don't use their product - I find them outlandishly expensive and on the odd occasion we use a disposable at night, I use PC Green, which is more effective and much cheaper, with no illusions that they're much better than any other disposable.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#9 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 AM

I have to add that the seventh generation site discloses that information on their website, so it's not like they're trying to hide it. 

#10 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 05:53 PM

Thanks for clicking through to read what Seventh Generation has to say. I'm sharing the link here:

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/learn/news/understanding-seventh-generation-diapers

#11 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I'm torn on how to feel about 7th gen after watching/reading that. On the one hand, if totally natural won't sell, then it makes little sense to make it. OTOH, because of their image, I hold them to a higher standard than other companies.

I never bought 7th gen anyways. We cd most of the time, but use store brand sposies when we use sposies.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#12 of 21 Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 AM

The thing is, they wouldn't be totally natural without the pigment either. They still use plastic/SAPs and adhesive. They need to, to make the diaper work the way people are expecting it to. There aren't many disposables that don't - Tushies don't have SAPs. gDiapers (and the other hybrids?) don't have plastic because they sit in a waterproof shell.

What it comes down to for me, as an occasional disposable user, is that if you're going to buy a disposable, you need to accept that it's not going to be natural. I've used Tushies, and they won't catch on with most people - they're bulky. Pampers has done far good a job of convincing people that a diaper is supposed to be trim for something like Tushies to become acceptable to most (for CD users, I think that's different).

I don't want to let 7th Gen completely off the hook - that brown pigment DID sell me for a while too and that bugs me. Even if it's true that all diapers use the pigment, and the brown is a "differentiator", they know that if they say "no chlorine bleach" and have a brown diaper, there is an implication that the others ARE using nasty bleaches, and unless you go to the website and read about it, you're not going to get the full story. I consider myself an informed consumer, and I did NOT go to the website and bought into it. They are doing the old "well, you need to be an informed consumer, *shrug*" thing, and that annoys me. But... it's true.

#13 of 21 Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 AM

gDiapers DO use SAP. Click here for more information.

I am doing a bit more research to find out of non-petroleum-based SAPs have made it into the diaper manufacturing business yet. I know that there are some, such as wheat-based, that are in use for other applications, but the more natural SAPs have different absorption qualities which have, in the past, rendered them impractical for diapers.

I found this article that does a pretty good job of taking apart the components of the 'sposies available on the market. It's an older article, but I believe that the technology discussion still applies.

#14 of 21 Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Yep, sorry, that's what I meant - badly written. The Tushies don't have SAPs. gDiapers do have SAPs but don't have the plastic liner.

#15 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

That's nuts.  I much preferred Nature Babycare diapers.  Hopefully they are really made the way they claim. 

me too.  these are the ones i use when i have to use a sposie.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#16 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

me too.  these are the ones i use when i have to use a sposie.

Where do you guys buy this brand - or Tushies - in Ontario? I can't seem to find them.

As for the chlorine issue, according to the author of Ecoholic, the major brands aren't using chlorine either so marketing their diapers as "Chlorine Free" is a little sketchy to me. The implication here, is that other brands do. They might admit to dying them brown but you have to dig for that information. That information is not  plastered all over the front of the packaging. So the chlorine thing then becomes incidental. They might as well also advertise the fact that they are "Formaldehyde Free" too. It's a bit misleading if you ask me. 

We CD, but on occasion have used sposies. In those instances, I'd like to use an ethical product - and I'm not sure 7th Generation is it anymore. I feel like we were duped into overpaying for the same sh*t, different colour.

#17 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 12:14 PM

I like Seventh Gen because they fit newborns really well and don't have any objectionable fragrance.  I really cannot stand the normal baby powder diaper smell.  Other than that, I buy based on cost and rashiness potential.  I don't think there's really a way to make disposible diapers green enough to outweigh that it's disposible.  Kind of like paper towels.  But I still use and buy paper towels occasionally.  And disposible dipes make sense, for some situations as well. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#18 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post

Where do you guys buy this brand - or Tushies - in Ontario? I can't seem to find them.

my local target used to carry them, but sadly don't anymore.  :(  target does still offer them online, however.  babies r us has them (online only), but they're eligible for store pickup at my local babies r us.  amazon also has them.  here's a list of retailers

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#19 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Target isn't in Canada - yet! (Soon!)

I've only found NatureBabyCare and Tushies online, and not in any Canadian stores at least in my area. Sorry. :(

#20 of 21 Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 AM

Nature Babycare diapers do contain gel. I do not doubt their claims of using biodegradable components. However, unless you take those components apart after using the diaper and put them someplace where they compost, they are not going to compost in landfill in our lifetime.

To my knowledge, Tushies is the only gel-free brand of 'sposies. Earth's Best diapers do, I believe, contain a small amount of naturally-derived SAP (wheat/corn-based).

#21 of 21 Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 PM

I have tried 7th gen diapers because my little one had a bad allergic reaction to regular sposies. They made her out break worse and they leak like crazy!!!! I definitely dont think they are worth what they cost!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page