Prefolds - Hemp Layers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place - I'm new to this!

I'm due in May and have pretty much decided to go with prefolds and covers. I'd like to use organic hemp prefolds as seen here: http://www.enfantstylediapers.com/jamtots-cloth-diaper-one-size-organic-hemp-fleece-inserts.html#

My question is the layer thing. There is a choice between 2 or 3 layers. Obviously 3 layers is more expensive but does that mean they are better? I'm planning to buy 20 (ish) prefolds. Should I get all 3 layers? We could afford it, but I don't know if it is better to get a mixture of the two? Any advice? I'm imagining 2 layers would dry faster. Oh, there is so much to learn!

thanks in advance!

#2 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM

You will want different absorbency for night and day. I would get some 3 layer for night and the rest 2 layer for day.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#3 of 7 Old 03-23-2011, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I was impressed that I wrote the company to ask about this and though you'd think since the 3 layers ones are more expensive that they would say to buy more of those (don't meant to sound so sceptical!) she gave me the same un-biased answer. So I only got a few 3 layers because she said they would be pretty bulky on a new baby, with so much fabric. Maybe as the baby gets older and we need more absorbency I'll get a few more.

Thanks

#4 of 7 Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM

I know i replied to this a few days ago, but i dont see the rePly...

2 or 3 layers neither one would be sufficient for my little guy. By 3 mos he could pee right through 4 layers and hit the floor. By a year he could pee through 8 layers of OCF. My Pfs like the one you linked wound up expensive burp cloths. Since you already bought them, i would suggest investing in doublers.

And theres no way 3 layers of anything would get us through the night. My DS' nighttime dipe is 2" thick and has been since we stopped changing in the night (around 6 mos). And my bed is still wet at least once a week.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 05:08 AM

My little guy can handle a 2-layer hemp flat (so tri-folded) for the day. I wouldn't wrap it around him so there's only the one layer though - it would be useless. I have a few JamTots hemp prefolds and I'm very happy with them as tri-folds/stuffers. Although it says you could snappi them on, yeah, I agree with Cristeen - not without a doubler.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#6 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

I knew I should have waited longer for feedback before buying....But I guess we'll just see how it goes. A lot of trial and error, I'm sure. Thanks for the advice.

#7 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Oh heck, it's a good purchase. Lots of people use prefolds/flats trifolded in a cover once their LOs are out of the newborn stage. It's our favourite combination, and they fit really nicely in a wrap cover like Bummis. They'll also stuff a pocket diaper nicely. You won't be sorry you bought them.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page