Another Newborn Cloth Diaper Question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've just found out that I am pregnant with our second & trying to figure out what to do about diapers when we bring baby home...  I switched to cloth from disposable when our daughter was about 2 and bought exclusively one-size diapers, planning ahead for #2.  My stash is kind of small, since our daughter was older & not "using" her diapers as often as an infant would, so I will need to buy more diapers in any event.  Our daughter was just under 7 lbs at birth, and so I would expect this child to be around the same.  Will one-size diapers adjust to fit a child that small?  I am not sure about making an investment in a newborn-size cloth diaper stash that will be used such a short time & thinking about buying disposable to get through that first little bit.  Thoughts?  Advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 AM

most one-size diapers don't start to work until about 10 lbs. so you would need something else for a newborn. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 5 Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM

I agree, one size diapers generally will not fit until 10 lb.

The inexpensive newborn system that most people choose is infant prefolds and covers. 24-30 prefolds and 6 covers will get you through 2-3 days between washes. Bummies prefolds ($60-$75) and Super Brites ($77) or prowraps ($53) would do you and they have good resale. I find that small diaper are pretty easy to find used in good condition too.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM

If you don't mind used diapers check out Craigslist, Diaperswappers or Spots (used section on hyena cart).  NB diapers are often a great price and in good condition b/c babies don't wear them very long (which is why they have good resale value as well).  I have Kissaluv size 0 (fitteds), NB covers, some Prefolds and a few AIO planned for my baby.  Last time my DD couldn't fit into OS diapers until she was about 4 months old.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#5 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM

I have not used them, but this is another idea for newborn diapers, renting them.

http://itsybitsybums.blogspot.com/2010/04/newborn-diaper-rental.html

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page