Help with Cloth Diaper POOP Smell! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just started my 22 month old at a Montessori School.  My first (or second) question when first looking into the school was would they be open to my cloth diapers.  They responded that they would.  Now - 3 weeks later they say they don't feel like they are up to continuing with the cloth diapers.  Needless to say I am VERY unhappy about this as I have gotten him settled in school and even moved my 4 year old into the school - so there is really no turning back for me. 

When I questioned them more about it they said it comes down to the smell of the poopy diapers.  Any ideas of how to make this issue a non-one.  Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Uh....? Not sure what they mean by this. Poop smells. That doesn't really have anything to do with cloth, though!

I could understand if they said your diapers smelling when wet - that could be a washing issue, but poopy? 

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 PM

are they flushing the poop? they probably use a diaper genie or something similar for sposie diapers, don't smell because each diaper is wrapped in plastic. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I Know - LOL - that' s what I said - POOP SMELLS!!!  Anyway, they do use a diaper Genie for the disposable's so they do not have the issue with them.  They asked if they can use a Ziplock bag to put the poop in instead of my wet bag which they feel does not contain the smell.  Although I don't want to waste bags I said that is okay - we can wash those.  We will see!  Are there wet bags that close like a ziplock??

I was also thinking of getting some flushable liners. 

Any other suggestions?

#5 of 6 Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 AM

Well that's just kinda ridiculous. The flushable liners are a great idea, as then they wouldn't even have to worry about any poop residue lingering where their noses can detect it. :P I just came across this Etsy site that sells gallon-sized reusable bags that velcro closed! What a great idea (I might need to get some of these). http://www.etsy.com/listing/69123881/ladybug-love-gallon-size-reusable-food I'm sure you could find an actual wetbag that uses "velcro technology" lol.

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#6 of 6 Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM

does the wetbag you're using have a drawstring? I have one with a zipper, and it seems to do a pretty good job with smell containment. and if you have a separate wet bag just for dirties, then it isn't going to get opened much. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page