My FuzziBunz are wicking... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I bought 14 FuzziBunz diapers (OS).  When they were wicking in the beginning I assumed I just needed to let my little guy grow into them.  He's almost 3 months old now and they're still wicking (I have to change his onesie every time I change his diaper - about every 2 hours or sometimes less).  The fleece part around the legs wicks moisture onto his onesie where the two touch.  I've tried changing the elastic settings, snapping them tighter, less tight, not buttoning the two outer snaps on the onesie, etc you name it. 

I recently contacted FuzziBunz about the issue and they replaced them (or rather, some of them... I sent back all 14 and only got 8 back... trying to figure out what's up with that).  The ones I sent back had been made in China, the ones I got in return are the made in Turkey ones.  I got them last night, washed them, and tried the new ones today.  Still wicking.  It's making me crazy.  I have one BumGenius 4.0 snap that I got to try and it does not leak.

To be fair, when the diapers leak the insert is usually pretty soaked.  I have tried adding more inserts (hemp) but it's just too bulky (the diapers are already pretty bulky on him) and they still leak anyway.  

It's driving me a bit nuts to change both his diaper and his clothes every 2 hours - I can put him in a disposable for 4 hours, easy without it leaking. 

FWIW, my sister has a 9 month old girl who just started wearing FB (made in Turkey) and they don't leak on her.

Has anyone else had this issue?  Any suggestions?  Do I just need to let him grow into them?  I'm tempted to just buy a set of BumGenius but we already have a significant investment in the FuzziBunz and I would really like them to work.

#2 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 PM

We've used FBs since our DD was 4 months old. In the beginning, I experienced the same thing you're talking about. I would be holding her on my hip, or I would take her out of her carseat and her onesie would be soaked right around the crotch/leg area. After getting really PO'd because it kept happening, I did a little research and found that microfiber inserts are prone to compression leaks, which basically means that when pressure is applied to the insert (by baby sitting, or smushing the diaper in some way) it will squeeze the pee out like a sponge. At that point, I bought some hemp doublers, which did help, but I still had to change her every 2-3 hours because she peed a LOT. She still does, but now I've acquired a Joey Bunz hemp insert, that I top with a microfiber doubler (so the MF is thin). This is a very trim and absorbent option that won't cause compression leaks. I hope this helps, and don't give up! FBs are pretty much our entire stash now, and DD is 17 months old. :)

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#3 of 7 Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 AM

It's pretty standard to have to change a diaper every 1.5-2 hours - and much healthier. I know that our BGs can last much longer than that (DD went 6 hours in a BG without a leak when someone else was taking care of her one day), but I'm not sure it's a good thing. I change disposables that frequently too, because there's still pee in there - it's just in gel rather than in cloth.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#4 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayasMama88 View Post

We've used FBs since our DD was 4 months old. In the beginning, I experienced the same thing you're talking about. I would be holding her on my hip, or I would take her out of her carseat and her onesie would be soaked right around the crotch/leg area. After getting really PO'd because it kept happening, I did a little research and found that microfiber inserts are prone to compression leaks, which basically means that when pressure is applied to the insert (by baby sitting, or smushing the diaper in some way) it will squeeze the pee out like a sponge. At that point, I bought some hemp doublers, which did help, but I still had to change her every 2-3 hours because she peed a LOT. She still does, but now I've acquired a Joey Bunz hemp insert, that I top with a microfiber doubler (so the MF is thin). This is a very trim and absorbent option that won't cause compression leaks. I hope this helps, and don't give up! FBs are pretty much our entire stash now, and DD is 17 months old. :)

Thanks for the tips!  Where do you get a MF doubler?  (Sorry I'm still kind of new to all this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post

It's pretty standard to have to change a diaper every 1.5-2 hours - and much healthier. I know that our BGs can last much longer than that (DD went 6 hours in a BG without a leak when someone else was taking care of her one day), but I'm not sure it's a good thing. I change disposables that frequently too, because there's still pee in there - it's just in gel rather than in cloth.

The issue isn't changing him often, I do that anyway for the most part - the issue is that the diapers were leaking through all over his clothes in 2 hours, sometimes less.  I was having to change his clothes every time I changed his diaper, which was getting a bit ridiculous from a laundry standpoint. :)

Good news though, the replacements seem to be working better than the ones I sent in.  For some reason the very first one I put on him leaked but I think he just had a lot of output - we haven't had any real issues since (just very minor wicking from time to time). 

#5 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Also bamboo is good for holding on to the pee. I buy doublers on etsy, for example: http://www.etsy.com/shop/stef123?section_id=6269239

Carma

#6 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM

I honestly don't know where to get them. I sent one FB back because of a loose thread and they sent me a 3-pack of them when they returned the diaper. I'd try contacting FB customer service maybe to ask where you can get them, because they're pretty cool! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weevil View Post

Thanks for the tips!  Where do you get a MF doubler?  (Sorry I'm still kind of new to all this)

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#7 of 7 Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone.  I just ordered a bunch of hemp doublers off of etsy and am looking for some MF doublers.  MayasMama, I don't see the MF doublers on the FB webpage, but will talk to them at customer service.  Thanks!

ETA: I just heard back from FB - apparently they discontinued their doublers :(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page