Cloth diapering and camping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are going camping next weekend - 3 days, 2 nights - nothing too crazy. Should I try cloth, or just do sposies as I normally do? Does anyone camp with cloth? How did you store the dirty diapers, and what did you do with the poopy ones? (They do have water, but it's by the restroom facilities, not at the individual sites.)

Mom to two little girls... wonderfully 4 years and delightfully 1.5 years

Passionate about birth... GeorgiaMomsforBetterBirth.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I still use our cloth when camping.  We store our diapers in a bucket... like a 5 gallon one.  Poos.. we just rinse them out as we do at home and put em in the bucket.  Have fun! 

'09   
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Yep, we still cloth. I use a 13 lb. Tidy Cats bucket that I've used since she was born. Id just either rinse them out or pour a little water in the bucket. I imagine that when we start again Ill probably let her go diaperless with a skirt on a lot because she likes to be naked and I dont care if she pees on the ground :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Yep, we still cloth. I use a 13 lb. Tidy Cats bucket that I've used since she was born. Id just either rinse them out or pour a little water in the bucket. I imagine that when we start again Ill probably let her go diaperless with a skirt on a lot because she likes to be naked and I dont care if she pees on the ground :)

I like that idea!! :-) When my DD starts walking I'll definitely do that!!

Mom to two little girls... wonderfully 4 years and delightfully 1.5 years

Passionate about birth... GeorgiaMomsforBetterBirth.com

Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I imagine that when we start again Ill probably let her go diaperless with a skirt on a lot because she likes to be naked and I dont care if she pees on the ground :)

Makes me wish I had girls, because I'd love to let my baby do this during the summer when we camp!  lol.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandiwe View Post

Makes me wish I had girls, because I'd love to let my baby do this during the summer when we camp!  lol.gif

We just have DS wear a longer T-shirt to run free. 

'09   
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM

We used G-dipes for camping, mostly back country, canoe trips, as well as some tent set up right next to the car trips. For a really long 10 day trip with my parents trailer, we did use sposies, we also moved around a province, every night or two, so were not in one spot long enough to do laundry. G-dipes are great for camping, b/c you can send them down the outhouse toilets, even the 'composting' style toilets. If you don't think the camp septic/plumbing can handle them in the flush toilets, it's still a lot less to throw in the trash than a regular sposie. We couldn't use cloth on back country trips, b/c you pack out everything you bring in, and wet/dirty diapers would be heavy! I already carry 55lbs or so, and do not need to add to that. Likewise with sposies, we'd have to pack them out, and carrying dirty diapers of either sort just didn't appeal! If you're in a more 'civilized' camp ground, with access to trash cans or laundry, then it's a bit different!

~SynEpona~
Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 AM

I camped and cded last summer.  It was super hot and humid.  i was worried about mildew.  I actually hung the pee only diapers on the line to dry and then put in a dry wetbag.  They poopy (EBF then) got in a borax water solution.  Everything was fine!  I let her go nakey a lot too.  It was soooo hot!

User Tag List