What am I doing wrong with the pocket diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies!  Just a quick ? for the hive mind.  LOL

I'm a prefold mom with some Motherease fitteds thrown in.  Now that DS moves around so much during diaper changes, I had started using disposable when we went out because I was afraid he was going to roll off the changing table!  I really wanted to use cloth while out, so I picked up an Imse Visme AIO (this one) and 2 Thirsties pocket diapers (these) to make on-the-go diaper changes easier.  I prepped them appropriately, etc etc... The Imse Vimse is fine working great, but about 50% of the time the Thirsties leak.  Today we had to come home early (from the cloth diaper store, how ironic) because he had pee all over his onesie and jeans.  He was not wearing the diaper for a very long time or anything, maybe 1 1/2 hours.  The diaper was very wet, so I know it caught pee, but it did seem like the inserts were bunched up a little, if that makes sense.   I've only had them for < a month, so I can't imagine repelling is an issue.  And some other times I've used them they've been just fine.  

Do you think I'm not fitting them on him right?  Or, do toddlers have a lot of pee for pocket diapers?  Sometimes, I'll put him in a prefold, check him like an hour later, and he's soaked, but he didn't leak.

Anyway, I like the diapers, I'm just frustrated that I'm ending up with pee all over (well, 50% of the time).  Any ideas?

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Looks like your little one is the same age as mine. It may just be that he's out-peeing the dipe. I had a friend finally witness today what i've been talking about for months. My DS is in a clean dry fitted one moment and the next he's standing in a puddle of pee. 8 layers of OCF can't absorb enough liquid fast enough to combat his firehose. Last week i put him in a pocket that is usually good for maybe 2 hours or more, and after maybe 90 minutes i realized he was sopping, his pants were sopping and he had thoroughly (and i do mean thoroughly!) saturated the stroller. For us, he just plain needs more absorbency and more frequent changes. I only put him in his fitteds under PUL or coverless anymore, my wool is sitting unused because of this issue. So I wouldn't really blame the dipe - try adding a doubler and see if that helps.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 3 Old 03-27-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yes!  I think we were in the same DDC.  :-)  I'm sure the problem with the diapers is user error.  LOL  I think I may not have put the diaper on snug enough, and I guess I left it on too long.  Oh well.  I'll just try to be more careful in the future!

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page