Need a good overnight cloth diaper. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been cloth diapering for several months and I still use disposables for overnight and I want to switch to cloth for overnight.  My daughter sleeps pretty well during the night so I don't get up and change her.  I'm looking for some suggestions for a good overnight cloth diaper that she can wear all night (I always use rash cream for overnight).  I use BumGenius for our outings, but the microfleece material makes her bum all red, so I use a prefold as sort of buffer to keep that material off of her skin, but the prefold doesn't wick away moisture (not to mention you can't use rash cream with BG) so that's not a good solution for overnight.  Any suggestions for a good overnight diaper of any kind for all night and that doesn't use that microfleece stuff that BG uses?

fly-by-nursing2.gif  cd.gif      sewmachine.gif      jammin.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  familybed2.gif      Mom to my Biscuit born 7/19/10 and just had my vbac.gif 5/2/13!

#2 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 PM

IDK if it has the same material as a BG, but we use the flip stay-dry dipes at night with no leaking. I just use 2 pads.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM

BGs use Suedecloth, actually  - many other pocket diapers use microfleece though. Have you tried any other pockets? My DS reacts to microfleece but not the suedecloth that's in BGs and a couple of other types, so it's quite possible the inverse could be true for your DD.

My DS also doesn't do well in PUL, so we don't use pockets at night. We use a Mother-Ease One-Size in bamboo with a wool cover - nice and breathable. I find that if I slather him in lanolin (okay with cloth diapers; it washes out) then he does just fine without a stay-dry layer, but I did try Kushies flushable liners as a semi-stay-dry layer with good success - you might want to try that.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#4 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM

As far as I know the only way you can use diaper cream and have a wicking material is to use fleece. If you use diaper cream on other fabrics, like cotton, the cream will make the cotton repel liquid, causing the diapers to leak. The way around this is to use a fleece liner if you choose to use diaper cream. You can make your own fleece liners by purchasing a yard of fleece (about $8 a yard) at a fabric store. There is no need to sew the fleece, just cut to size.

We couldn't be happier with our Mother Ease Sandy's diapers and Mother Ease Air Flow covers. We've never had a leak or a blow out. Starting at about 4 months, we started adding 2 Sandy's liners to his diaper to use at night.

#5 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 PM

My suggestion wouldn't work then since we often put a homemade fleece layer as a moisture barrier. We have a prefold that has a doubler in it, then the fleece against the skin. But, many nights, we don't put the fleece on at all and as long as we don't wait too long in the morning to change him, his skin is fine even though damp. He's 23mo and sleeps 12 hours.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 PM

We use a Fuzzibuns perfect size with the regular insert and a doubler. It works for the whole night and she really isn't wet in the morning, maybe a little damp.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#7 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 04:55 AM

That's not necessarily true. If your diaper cream has any ingridients that are water barrier properties use a microfleece liner or disposable liner. If they don't (like Northern Essence products) you may not have to use a liner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWoman View Post

As far as I know the only way you can use diaper cream and have a wicking material is to use fleece. If you use diaper cream on other fabrics, like cotton, the cream will make the cotton repel liquid, causing the diapers to leak. The way around this is to use a fleece liner if you choose to use diaper cream. You can make your own fleece liners by purchasing a yard of fleece (about $8 a yard) at a fabric store. There is no need to sew the fleece, just cut to size.

We couldn't be happier with our Mother Ease Sandy's diapers and Mother Ease Air Flow covers. We've never had a leak or a blow out. Starting at about 4 months, we started adding 2 Sandy's liners to his diaper to use at night.

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#8 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 AM

My suggestion for a good night time diaper for a heavy wetter would be Sustainablebabyish fitteds with wool. I actually made a microfleece sleeve for the boosters so that it pulls moisture away from her skin. The wool isn't necessary, you can use a PUL cover of your choice, but I love the fit and fact that the wool can "breathe" overnight, which cuts down on yeast infections. Or, if you like pocket diapers I highly recommend Knickernappies with their super do insert. I use one large superdo at night and it holds both my 21 month old and my 3 1/2 year old. When nothing else worked for absorbency I could always rely on our SBish/wool combo and the KNs!

ETA: I would personally avoid the Mother Ease fitteds. I tried them a few months ago and it was like my daughter was walking around with a soaking wet towel between her legs...it was gross and very uncomfortable for her. I re-sold them shortly after. The cover had one thin line of elastic that dug into her thighs, and she wasn't a chunky thighed baby at that time either.

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#9 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post

BGs use Suedecloth, actually  - many other pocket diapers use microfleece though. Have you tried any other pockets? My DS reacts to microfleece but not the suedecloth that's in BGs and a couple of other types, so it's quite possible the inverse could be true for your DD.

My DS also doesn't do well in PUL, so we don't use pockets at night. We use a Mother-Ease One-Size in bamboo with a wool cover - nice and breathable. I find that if I slather him in lanolin (okay with cloth diapers; it washes out) then he does just fine without a stay-dry layer, but I did try Kushies flushable liners as a semi-stay-dry layer with good success - you might want to try that.

Ah, yes, thank you, suedecloth.  I'll have to give microfleece a try and see if she reacts to that.  BG are the only pocket diapers I've used and I guess I assumed all pocket diapers used that material. 

fly-by-nursing2.gif  cd.gif      sewmachine.gif      jammin.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  familybed2.gif      Mom to my Biscuit born 7/19/10 and just had my vbac.gif 5/2/13!

#10 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM

The only thing that works for us is a Happy Hempy pocket fitted w the fleece inner. At this point it's stuffed w 2 trifold pfs, a loopy do and a hemparoo. Under a Babyology wool cover, most nights that gets us through, but every other combo weve tried has leaked.

You dont want to use a zinc oxide cream on any dipe, since it will cause repelling. You can use a non zinc barrier or use a separate liner (paper or cloth). But w the fleece inner, we dont have any issues w rashes from wet.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#11 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 PM

As for the cream, I've never had an absorbency issue in using zinc oxide creams with prefolds. DS is almost 2.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#12 of 12 Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 AM

The only ones I've found that work for my DS are the kawai overnights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page