Trouble with FLIP, help? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We started CD a couple month ago and went with the FLIP system because my hubby liked the idea of reusing the covers. At first we didn't have any issues but now my son is soaking through his diapers after 1.5 hr. He is 17m. We are running out of clean pants!! We have tried extra rinses, washing without soap. He's ready to go back to disposables but we have another baby on the way and I would really like to stick with CD.

Any suggestions?

#2 of 13 Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Are the inserts not absorbing, or are the covers leaking?

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#3 of 13 Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Microfibre Flips aren't absorbent enough for my little guy now he's on the medium setting. I find I have to change hourly or we get leaks simply because the insert is saturated.

Could you buy a couple of infant-sized prefolds (hemp is great - or try the Flip hemp?) and see if they work better? Or are you using the hemp already?

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#4 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

I think it is both the covers and the microfiber inserts that are the issue. He's thin, at 17month, we have it set on the small setting and there is still a small gap around his legs. He is also what I would call a super soaker and those inserts get full really quick. I've thought about getting the infant size prefolds and seeing if they help at all. We don't want to try 2 microfiber inserts because it will be way too bulky and uncomfortable. My hubby is ready to give up on CD :-( and he's the stay-at-home parent.

Thanks!

#5 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 PM

I would try doubling the inserts - I don't think it will be as bulky as you think, but keep in mind, most cloth seems bulky when compared with disposables. 

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Hmm.. that doesn't sound right to me. Gaps around the legs on the small setting at his age? He'd have to be REALLY REALLY thin for that to happen if the diaper is working properly, IMO. DS is lean, and he was on the middle setting at 10 months. Were the covers new? Are you drying them in the dryer? I'm wondering if the leg elastic is shot.

I think it's doubtful a cotton infant prefold is going to make much difference - I'd say that they would hold about the same amount.

Do you have any stores in the area that would allow you to do a diaper trial, so you could try some different covers? I know that's more $ for you, but consider the cost of disposables..

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#7 of 13 Old 04-19-2011, 01:27 PM

Doubling the inserts, adding a doubler or a newborn flip insert or try some of the SoftBums inserts which will work well in the FLIP covers.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#8 of 13 Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM

I am really surprised by this b/c we use flip even overnight and never had an issue. Is it the stay dry? That's what we have.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#9 of 13 Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 AM

The big question is are they repelling pee or are they just completely full?  In terms of the legs, try increasing the rise so that you can make the waist tighter.  If they are super full, I would try adding hemp doublers under the stay dry inserts.  Baby Kicks are awesome!  I can stack 3 inside my diaper and it is the same thickness at the flip insert.  and they are SO much more absorbent.  I don't have to even use the flip insert if you don't want.  Maybe try a couple and see what happens.  If you still can't get it working please email me at jenn@earthycrunchymama.com.  I would love to help you troubleshoot!

Jenn
Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mom to Cole, 3, and Max 6 months
earthycrunchymama.com
#10 of 13 Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM

I also think its strange that the legs are gapping, my 8 week old could wear them w/o problems. I noticed our elastic was shot after about 3 mos, we were overcompensating at the stomach to try to keep them snugger. I was told I could send them in to be fixed since they were under warranty, but I ended up just replacing them w/ bg 4.0s.
As far as the insert being soaked, you probably need to double up. Or try using a hemp insert under the flip insert. Or even a Prefold.

BFing , Cloth diapering , Coffee loving, picture taking, SAHM to Aiden (2/18/09) and Landon (8/26/10) and DH.
#11 of 13 Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM

I also saw overnight FLIP inserts in Etsy made of Zorb/bamboo combo for example. Maybe you just need more absorption.

Carma

#12 of 13 Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNmommyBFB View Post

I also think its strange that the legs are gapping, my 8 week old could wear them w/o problems. I noticed our elastic was shot after about 3 mos, we were overcompensating at the stomach to try to keep them snugger. I was told I could send them in to be fixed since they were under warranty, but I ended up just replacing them w/ bg 4.0s.
As far as the insert being soaked, you probably need to double up. Or try using a hemp insert under the flip insert. Or even a Prefold.

Out of curiosity, you do have the rise snaps shortened, right?  Have the rise too high will effect the legs.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#13 of 13 Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Our 7 month old will soak the stay-dry inserts (or the 4.0 inserts) in 1.5 hours, but he is a heavy wetter, too.  It is not that weird.  You could always replace them with the organic inserts, which hold a ridiculous amount, or put a hemp doubler or insert behind the stay-dry insert (that's what we do.)  You should not need the diaper to be on the shortest, tightest setting at this age - even my baby is on the medium setting with two columns of snaps exposed - so you may have elastic issues.  Even if a diaper fits perfectly, though, it will leak when the insert is saturated.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page