Line drying = Crunchy diapers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I was all excited to set up my makeshift clothes line on our porch and hang out DS's cloth diapers yesterday. I was even more excited when I saw that the sun had indeed done it's job and removed all those ucky yellow BF baby poop stains! But then I started pulling the stiff-as-a-board prefolds off the line, and my excitement diminished significantly. :( I am so used to the way they usually come out the dryer all fluffy and quilted and soft. Is there any way to prevent them from getting crunchy and rough when you line dry? Will a bit of vinegar in the rinse cylce help? Or is it just the way things are going to be if I use the clothes line? I was really looking forward to saving electricity and getting the added benefits of sun and outdoor air freshening up the dipes.

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#2 of 12 Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM

As far as I know, line drying will always result in stiffer clothing.  I know a lot of people will fluff them in the dryer for like 10 minutes though after line drying.

#3 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 AM

I was to suggest a short bit in the dryer should help. I never had a dryer, so just dealt with crunchy cloth. I did notice a few times though, if you remove them from the line as they are "just" dry rather than baking in the warmth they tended to be softer too (or maybe on more humid days they would retain a little moisure to keep their softness).

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#4 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM

I crunch them up in my hands when I take them off the line.While I notice a difference between line-dried and dryer-dried, my DS has never indicated that he notices a difference - once it's folded and put on, it softens up pretty fast.

nicoleinparis likes this.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#5 of 12 Old 04-15-2011, 04:26 AM

Put them in the dryer on air fluff for five or ten minutes before you hang them out. Problem solved.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#6 of 12 Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 PM

when im too lazy to throw them in the dryer, as im taking them off the line i crunch them up into a ball, then maybe pull at the diaper and give it a couple good shakes. works ok, but only the dryer will give you super soft diapers. 

or *right* before they are completely dry, with just a teeny bit of moister still in them, throwing them in the dryer for 10 or so minutes will make them softer, but again, not as soft

and dont leave them to bake in the sun, then they will be seriously stiff lol

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#7 of 12 Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Dont use vinegar in the rinse cycle.  this alters the ph of the diaper and can cause rash. (been there done that.) if you want to use vinegar (for cleaning purposes) use it in the pre-rinse cycle. 

#8 of 12 Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM

If you hang them out on super windy days they will stay somewhat soft...they have to be constantly moving though.  I love line dried diapers, even with the crunch.

Mama to three

#9 of 12 Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBombMama View Post

or *right* before they are completely dry, with just a teeny bit of moister still in them, throwing them in the dryer for 10 or so minutes will make them softer, but again, not as soft

yeahthat.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#10 of 12 Old 04-19-2011, 05:04 AM

I've been told (on windy days) to hang them 2 together. The wind causes them to "slap" together and basically beats them softer :P Personally I'd just throw them in the dryer (maybe add some dryer balls) for 10 minutes on air dry or low heat.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#11 of 12 Old 04-21-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'll probably just get used to the slight crunchiness and get over it... 'cause I'm too lazy to go to the trouble of putting them in the dryer either before or after hanging them on the line. I did try bringing them in when they were just dry, instead of letting them bake, and that did seem to help. I'll have to try hanging them 2 together also just because I'm curios about the theory of the wind beating the stiffness out.

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#12 of 12 Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'll probably just get used to the slight crunchiness and get over it... 'cause I'm too lazy to go to the trouble of putting them in the dryer either before or after hanging them on the line. I did try bringing them in when they were just dry, instead of letting them bake, and that did seem to help. I'll have to try hanging them 2 together also just because I'm curios about the theory of the wind beating the stiffness out.

In the past I've just beat the snot out of them coming off the line. Slap them against the table as I'm folding, rub them them together, etc. Usually makes them soft enough :)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page