Do you use flats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't hear much about folks using flats.... are they a good choice?

For DS we had a diaper service for the first 6 months (I think).  Baby 2 is arriving in September, and I'll need to cover those first months now since there's no service here.  Flats are seeming like a good option right now because

- they dry quickly (I mostly have prefolds and a couple aios, and they definitely take longer than I'd like)

- the origami fold doesn't seen that hard

Am I missing something?  Are there drawbacks that I'm unaware of?

What are your favorite fasteners or do you just use a cover?

I'd love to hear any other pointers or comments from people experienced with flats.

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 PM

I promise you I'm not new to diapering-lol. I had to register again due to a forgotten password=) BUT, I can tell you about Flats!! I love them!! I have been diapering for over 14 and a half years now, and I am now back to using prefolds and flats. So simple and I love it!! Our fave fold right now is the Swaddlebees Kite Fold:)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 AM

I don't like flats, because the folding is tedious and I never have been able to get the hang of using them coverless. I wouldn't recommend them unless you don't have your own washer and dryer. If I did have to use them, I would use them Snappied under a snap-closing cover, to keep them from falling off.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM

I like pad folding flats w our gro via and thirsties covers. I like that Ican make it more absorbent in the front for ds and I don't snappi or fasten it at all ( he's soooo squirmy). Have not had much luck w other folds though bc I can't get the sides to fit under our leg gussets. They do wash and dry so nicely!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM

I love flats. I have been diapering with them for the better part of 7 1/2 years. (I also use prefolds and pockets - I used to use some AIOs, but they don't work for dd.) Most days, dd is in a flat and a cover. My favorite are Ikea (they are sold as burp cloths, but are about 28" x 28" and a thick, muslin weave), Imse Vimse, and Green Mountain Diaper unbleached birdseye. Oh, and flannel receiving blankets work well too, and are cute. I think the Ikea and Imse Vimse (IV is also a muslin weave) are the most absorbent, but the birdseye are the trimmest. (The GMD birdseye flat pinned under a Bummis Whisper Pant, or even a Flip cover is as thin, if not thinner, than a disposible.) Personally, I pin mine - Dd doesn't seem to do as well with snappis anyway (the bottom "leg" of the snappi keeps the wet diaper up against her too tightly, which leads to rash issues), and I always felt that with flats, the sides were too thin for the snappi teeth and I was concerned it would poke through to the skin. My favorite folds are the "kite" fold and the "neat" fold. 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 PM

I love them as a pad too. In fact, I've replaced most of the microfibre inserts out of my fleece pocket diapers and replaced them with pad-folded flats. They wash well, dry well, and don't get stinky! But I never figured out actually folding them as a diaper either. I was planning on using a lot of flats when DS was tiny, but he was having so many rash issues that that plan fell by the wayside - too bad because as it turns out it's cotton and wool that keeps him rash free! I just didn't realize it soon enough.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 04-21-2011, 06:40 PM

Perdita - I think ds#2 was about a year when I finally figured out how to fold and use a flat on him. Before that, he was in prefolds and fitteds most of the time. The first couple of attempts were a bit wonky (LOL), but it didn't take long to get the hang of folding them and putting them on him. So, in my experience, it's never too late to start using them folded and pinned/snappied. thumb.gif

Old 04-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I love them.  They are way more versatile than anything else I've tried.  I use AIO and fitteds, and prefolds too, depending on the situation, and what's clean, but I find flats to be more useful for longer, and easier to get clean than anything else. 

Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

Perdita - I think ds#2 was about a year when I finally figured out how to fold and use a flat on him. Before that, he was in prefolds and fitteds most of the time. The first couple of attempts were a bit wonky (LOL), but it didn't take long to get the hang of folding them and putting them on him. So, in my experience, it's never too late to start using them folded and pinned/snappied. thumb.gif

I have very basic birdseye flats - will they hold as much as a prefold when snappied? If so, I'll try it out - just to say I can do it if nothing else LOL.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 PM

We LOVE flats here. We tried a variety with #1, and our favorite was flats with wool or PUL covers - no pins or snappis.  We have both GMDs and home-made birdseye and flannels.  They are all having a second go on #2 now.  I really like how easy they are to wash and dry;  I'm kinda icked out by what must get stuck in multi-layer diapers.  We've never had build-up issues or stinkiness in our flats.  They are litterally useable from day 1 until potty training, very affordable, and IMO the most ecological choice because of ease of care.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post

I have very basic birdseye flats - will they hold as much as a prefold when snappied? If so, I'll try it out - just to say I can do it if nothing else LOL.

One won't hold as much as a prefold, but two or three will, especially if the extra ones are folded into pads and put where they're needed most.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM

stillheart.gif flats also!  They wash really well and dry super quick!

I usually fold them down to the size of a prefold and then put them on the baby using the same methods as I would a prefold, usually the angel wing fold. I liked the idea of the origami fold, but angel wing is so much faster for us.  DH will just use them as pads.  I use the GMD large unbleached birdseye and receiving blankets, but we are growing out of the 30x30 receiving blankets.  Maybe I'll have to try the origami fold on those...

Melissa
Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 AM

I especially loved flats for nb cloth diapering.  I got the small birdseye from GMD.  Now I mostly use them for stuffing pocket diapers.  :)      I'm now buying a cloth stash to start my SIL off and since she has no dryer it's going to be mainly flats.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thanks!  I really appreciate you comments and info  :)

Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM

I learned how to do an origami fold today.

OMG, I've spent FAR too much on fancy diapers. DS spent the day in flats and wool and was just as leak-free and comfortable as in any fancy schmancy pocket diaper or AIO. I'm thinking of selling off my stash LOL.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

One won't hold as much as a prefold, but two or three will, especially if the extra ones are folded into pads and put where they're needed most.

You can also use/buy premie prefolds (they are smaller and thinner than the infant ones) and use those as doublers with birdseye or floursack flats. Dd has been in those all day today (flat + premie prefold) and it is still very trim, yet very absorbent. 

Quote:

I learned how to do an origami fold today.

OMG, I've spent FAR too much on fancy diapers. DS spent the day in flats and wool and was just as leak-free and comfortable as in any fancy schmancy pocket diaper or AIO. I'm thinking of selling off my stash LOL.

lol.gif Today is a all-flats day. Tomorrow will probably be an all-prefold day. I'm about ready to sell all my AIOs (I do love them, but they all leave marks on dd's legs - she's a bit chunky winky.gif). I almost sold all my fitteds too (and still need to sell the NB ones), but I think I'll keep them for using coverless during the summer (they also leave marks on her legs, but usually only when used with covers). Flats and prefolds are the easiest way to go, and the cheapest. Of course, now I just splurge on Wild Child Woolies instead! ROTFLMAO.gif

Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM

I also just learned the origami fold.  I bought some flats awhile back and was just using them as stuffers or laying them in a cover.  The origami fold is awesome!  I pin them shut.

My daughter is 13 months and doesn't even soak through a GMD organic size small flat.  I change her every 2-3 hours and it more than enough holds the one pee she does during that time.  One size small flat (origami fold) and a cover is super, duper trim!  I love it.

Mama to three

Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM

For those who do the pad fold and/or use them without pins or snappis--what are your favorite covers/pocket diapers to put them in??

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Thirsties covers are my favorites.  I also use Bummis Super Brites.

Mama to three

Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM

I LOVE flats and used them primarily and will be with the next kiddo too.  I got the mid size unbleached on gmd (they had three sizes when I bought) so the 24 I bought work from birth to potty trained.

I love how much easier they are to clean and dry and how trim they can be.

I agree that they are harder to get the hang of coverless (I never fully did unless I folded them like a prefold) but I REALLY like how customizable they are.  I'd practice folding on a doll watching tv or whatever and would make up my own folds to get the bulk of absorbency where I needed it and not where I didn't.  It did take awhile to really get profficient at the oragami fold, but in the meantime, there is always the prefold (which in fact is why they are called prefolds.. they are prefolded flats)  I also like that I can just tell babysitters to fold them into pads or I can use them to stuff pockets rather than microfiber which I can't stand with a passion.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMamaBeth View Post

For those who do the pad fold and/or use them without pins or snappis--what are your favorite covers/pocket diapers to put them in??

When I pad fold flat or lay in a prefold, I use Flips or Nikky's, and on the rare occasion, Thirsties. Dd has thick thighs winky.gif and sensitive skin, and Flips and Nikky's leave the least marks. 

Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM

I have the "old-fashioned" Curity and Gerber flats.  They are long rectangles and probably 20-30 years old.  They are super soft and absorb well.  What I like best about them is they can be used by any age baby!  I pad folded them in xs and small Thirsties for my newborn.  Loved that!  Now I just do a quick angel wing type fold and use one pin in front now that we have moved to medium size covers.  A pin held better than a snappi for me.  My toddler also uses flats.  I use two for him (pad fold the 2nd flat so there is several layers in front).  I also use flats to wrap around hemp inserts for our nighttime pocket diapers.  For some reason I have never been able to convince other cding moms to use flats.  I wouldn't go any other way.

User Tag List