Kitchen towels as flats/doublers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read recently about people loving some kind of towel purchased at Target as a flat or double inside pockets or a cover.  I can't for the life of me find the post and I have looked here and on DS where I also read and post. 

Does anyone use a kitchen towel as a diaper. Which one? What material? Where did you find it?

I want to replace all of my microfiber inserts with a natural fiber that will wash and rinse easier in my FL washing machine.  I remember reading that these towels were a trim option for folding into a pocket or cover, but were also nicely absorbent... and much much cheaper than the flats/prefolds/and hemp inserts available at online CD shops.

Right now I am using prefolds and some flats, but I would like something a little less bulky that will hold up for a couple hours without a leak :)  Am I asking too much? :P

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM

I haven't used towels, but I did buy some size small organic flats from GMD and they are very trim and my 13 month old can wear them for a couple hours with no problems.

Mama to three

Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

Yep - you are asking too much. Cotton is bulky and not as absorbant as microfleece.

I tried this - my first batch of cloth diapers were cotton and hemp prefolds with covers. I wanted to avoid synthetics They are hugely bulky though. I ditched that batch and bought all new pocket dipes. Much better. Fewer leaks and did not get waterlogged as fast.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

what flats are you using? Some flats measure smaller than others and can be a much trimmer fit. You do have to get used to a fluffier fit but flats dont have to be icky bulky eaither. I use flats in mine and love it. Of course I also mostly do prefolds and wraps.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

So I figured out what I was looking for.  Flour sack cloths.  They have them at Target (and apparently Walmart and other similar stores) for about $1 each.  They look and feel like a smaller sized flat.  Definitely better than a gerber flat and so far just as good as a small prefold and trim enough to use a doubler when needed. They are washing great and you can get them in colors if you want- though I bought white.

I have large GMD flats that are great, but pad folded are a little too wide for a FB OS and just about too long for my other pockets.  They are great in a cover or in a larger pocket and will definitely last through potty training.  I don't mind bulk they just can't be so bulky in the pocket the the leg elastic doesn't touch her little thigh, since it allows leaks.  DD is so little that she needs some fluff to fill out her pants since her legs are long :)  The small prefolds I've been using in my pockets are a decent size but not as absorbent as the flats and we've had some leaking.  The microfiber wasn't working for me, my FL, and hard well water. 

I am going to pick up some more hemp doublers or hemparoo inserts to add in with the smaller flats (flour sacks) or small prefolds when we are going out or for naps.  That way I keep the diaper trim enough to fit right but also absorbent enough to prevent leaks when she wakes up (her super soaking time).  I would definitely recommend the flour sacks for anyone looking for a small or medium flat.  They work well in a pocket, as a doubler, and would snappi or pin on a small baby.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Another good flat option are ikea burp cloths, they come in fun colors and patterns, and I have found they are surprisingly absorbent and you could always add a little something if needed
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I was just reading about the Ikea burp cloths.  Next time we make a trip to Ikea (4ish hours away) I am definitely going to look for them.  I am loving how well the flats are washing.  I just shake them to unfold when they go in the pail- no staining, no stink, super fast to dry.  Wish I had tried them much sooner.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Birdseye flats are very trim in a cover (especially a Flip cover or under a Dappi/Bummis Whisper Pant). For stuffing, I use flats, cotton prefolds, or Thirsties hemp prefolds. The Thirsties hemp prefolds and bamboo prefolds are the trimmest in the pockets, and much trimmer than microfiber (maybe I'm biased though as I can't stand microfiber!). The Ikea burp cloths are also awesome flats - not quite as trim as a birdseye flat (like the GMD flats), but more absorbent, and still very trim under a cover. (I've never stuffed them in a pocket as they are cute and I like having the print visible, at least to me when I change dd. lol.gif ) Personally, I don't think you have to sacrifice more natural fibers for trimness, as long as you choose wisely. I can still get leggings and jeans on dd with a pocket stuffed with either hemp or bamboo (the prefold pockets are better either under dresses or for bedtime as they are a bit more bulky - it's not necessarily the prefold as the pockets themselves are bulky with the fleece inner). 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

User Tag List