How do I use a top loader? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've always had a front loader so I have no idea how to get my diapers clean using a top loader!  I've tried using the longest setting (14 mins) and the highest agitation, and the most amount of water, but my diapers are coming out with stains and starting to look beat up really fast!  I know a lot of people love top loaders so I must be missing something!  Can someone please give me some step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

#2 of 9 Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a top loader and my diapers are clean and stain free 

My rountinue

1_ prewash on cool wiht eaither nothing or 1 cup vinager

2) hot wash heavy duty cycle longest setting never timed it but I know its longer than 14 mintues.. with detergent to the lowest line (babyganics) and extra rinse option selected

3) warm wash nothign added for what ever reason if I skip this we start getting rashy though water seems clear before.

4) dry

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#3 of 9 Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 PM

okay FWIW I timed mine the "wash" (aggitation) length on mine is 25 mintues.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#4 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Top loaders are great for washing diapers because they use so much more water to wash and rinse than front loaders do.  You should be having more success, not less!  Hmmm...

A basic routine is:

1.  Cold rinse/spin

2.  Hot wash with detergent (1-2 Tbs)

3.  Cold/rinse spin x2

Most wash cycles on top loaders are about 20-30 minutes long, so 14 sounds quite short to me- are you sure that's the longest setting?   I personally don't recommend vinegar b/c it can cause stink issues when mixed with hard water- just something to consider.  What detergent are you using?  My favorites are Planet and Charlies.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 AM

The vinager ans stink will depend on what makes your water hard. We have VERY hard water but I can use vinager with success though I dont always use it. SOme hard water mixed wit hvinager makes it STINK!

#6 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 PM

What kind of detergent are you using? I found that 1-2 tbs was just not enough for my dipes and top loader. I use planet powder up to the full scoop for a reg load and scoop and 1/2 with a xl load. I also do hot wash/cold rinse 3x - first no detergent (but 2 caps bac out in rinse dispenser and 1 c vinegar before I throw in the dipes) 2nd time with full scoop of detergent 3rd time nothing. Hot instead of cold does better for stains IMO. HTH though it may just confuse things more! I use only natural fibers - prefolds, osocozy AIO's and prefitteds.

#7 of 9 Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  I had no idea I had to put them through so many cycles!  The agitator in the washing machine was really ripping up my diapers so I just ended up trashing them and buying new ones.  So far so good with the new diapers, but we are going to replace the washing machine with a front loader ASAP before these new diapers get shredded.

Just to answer a few questions-

We haven't had any stink issues, so we haven't used vinegar.

We are using a full scoop of country save detergent.

14 mins really is the longest cycle on this machine (weird, I know) so we have changed our routine to cold rinse, hot wash, warm wash, cold rinse for a total of 45 min- hour.  I can't wait to start using a front loader again so I don't have to keep restarting the washing machine!  Ug!

#8 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM

So, what was your routine with the front loader?  We just switched from top loader to front loader, and have had stink problems ever since.  Help!

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#9 of 9 Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

You may have already gotten your answer since there are so many "stink" topics in CDing, but for what it's worth, I'll post my routine:

1- throw diapers in machine

2- add 1/8 c? (1/2 scoop) Country Save Detergent

3- settings: cold wash/cold rinse, heavy soil, extra water feature, extra long spin feature

4- sun dry diapers when possible

Don't forget to leave your washing machine door open to thoroughly air out between uses and you can always try 1/2 - 1 cup vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page