Homemade wipes question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you do baby wipes with your CD's?  Until I can borrow my MIL's serger to make the wipes I want, I have a stack of soft baby washcloths to use. 

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 AM

I made ~40 two-layer cloth wipes out of flannel and sewn together with my sewing machine.  We got a wipe warmer as a gift and keep some wipes in there with water only.  The wipes are 8" x 8" and fit in there folded in half.  It works well!  I wash the used wipes with my diapers and have never had a problem.

9/2011 items decluttered
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 PM

I use paper towels (Bounty or Brawny....Viva tends to mold if not used right away) I cut the roll in half.  I put half in a rubbermaid container about that size.  I mix about 2 cups of water with a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of soap (Dr. Bronners baby soap) and pour over the towels ( standing on end).  After 5 minutes I turn the roll over, pull out the brown paper in the middle and they are ready to go!  Keep a lid on to keep moist! So cost effective and better for his little bum....and disposable!

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

we have a stack of thin baby washcloths. I store them dry. I have a pump bottle full of water with a small amount of baby shampoo (I use CA Baby). I just squirt the liquid on the washcloth and wipe. I throw in laundry with the dipe.

When I was more hard core, I used to only use cloth wipes. Now I use 7th Generation wipes for super messy poos.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

I have made the ones from paper towels with my dd.  Those work great!  I was thinking cloth wipes so I could throw them in with the CD's.  Although I vaguely remember picking out regular wipes from ds's CD laundry pile (it's been a while!) on occasion.

I found a few recipes using tea tree oil and olive oil and a small amount of soap. 

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
Old 04-24-2011, 09:03 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

My favorite wipes are two sided: flannel sewn to micro-terry or sherpa.  The texture works great for wiping poop and the soft flannel is nice for patting dry.  I prefer to use wipe solution in a spout top bottle than a wipe container/warmer.  I just picked up a few 8oz bottles at a massage supply store (some natural grocery stores have them, too) and make my own solution with aloe vera gel, Dr. Bronner's soap, EO's and water.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM

I started with flannel wipes that I made (two layers) but I really love sherpa/cotton velour wipes. I like 8 by 8 inches, if folded in half they fit wonderfully into wipe warmers or containers. I either just wet them with water or add tea tree oil/calendula oil/aloe vera to the mix or pumpkin butt cubes. I first bought them from small wonder wipes but then made my own. Sherpa is great at grabbing poop, I mostly ever just need one wipe to clean everything up.

A good source for material is naturesfabric.com, google their facebook discount code to get 10 or 15 % off I think. They carry sherpa and velour in the cutest prints (ooga booga, giraffes, and so on!). Serging sherpa and velour is nice and easy and won't fray!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM

We just use the baby faceclothes.  They are cheap, thin enough to get into all the crevices and we wash them with the diapers.  Plus we got a ton for our shower.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

User Tag List