Cloth diapering - So confused.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pfs or flats with a cover is a great idea. It's very economical and easy to clean. I liked flats because they were less bulky on a nb than pfs. The Osocozy flats are 27x27" size and fit a nb better than a pf. I didn't like having to size up with pfs either, a flat is the only true one size diaper. It will fit from nb to toddler age.

I have a package on my website called "New To Cloth" it has a great list of what you might need for a nb. I am not sure if I can post the link and don't want to spam you. If you are interested pm me and I will send you the link.

A nice basic to go by is that you will need 3-4 dozen diapers and 4-6 covers if you want to wash every other day. :)

#32 of 45 Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM

I found that when my son was much younger and having just mama milk his poop was so leaky all the time and it wouldn't stay in the prefold that I folded in the standard trifold way. It's much better to do a better fold and sorta wrap it around them a bit and secure it with a Snappi.
#33 of 45 Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 PM

definitely invest in some hemp inserts/doublers. as your baby gets older, or if you have a heavy wetter from the start, hemp will be like gold to you. even if you do prefolds during daytime, i'd suggest a few pocket diapers for night. getting enough absorbancy in a prefold (using two or three together) for night makes a very bulky diaper. a pocket with hemp insert(s) is very trim/comfortable for baby to move in as they sleep, and works great for long stretches overnight. my stash is a mix of everything, and i find i like different diapers for different situations. AIO's are awesome for daytrips, but prefolds are great at home or with diaper rash, pockets are great for night, etc. it seems overwhelming, but you'll figure it out as you go. i recommend deciding how often you want to wash diapers, and using that as your number to buy. also, newborns may go through a lot of covers in a day with runny poo, whereas an older baby may make it all day on two. make sure you get enough for the first month or two of pooing all the time.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

#34 of 45 Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM

I don't know if you already got the help you were looking for but I am a Diaper Parties consultant with Everything Birth.  If you want help deciding on the right system for you or help with ordering, send me an email and we'll see if I can help you out.

#35 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 12:05 PM

I went with pre-folds and a cover with #1 and she had yeast rash so much I hated cloth.  With this one I bought some pocket diapers on ebay and LOVE them. they pull the moisture away and we have had zero problems.  The down side to pockets is the cost, so I just figured out how to make them :D  Check Craigslist, there are always people selling them.

#36 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM

I have every type of cloth diaper and my favorite method is a pre-fold (indian) with a snappi (snappis can be scary at first but you get the hang of it quickly) and a thirsties duo wrap.  Cheap and easy.  My daughter doesn't get rashes.  I do use all-in-ones (pocket diapers) at night because they wick moisture better...they are too expensive for me to have many of them.  Good Luck!

#37 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I remember being so confused about it too when I was pregnant with ds! It is like a whole new language to learn. People were talking these words I didn't understand- prfolds, fitteds, all different types of covers. I also found green mtn diapers extremely helpful. They have info on their website that breaks it down. We ended up using fitteds, and mostly the all cotton ones. When ds was a newborn we used the green mtn infant fitteds and also the prefold fitteds, with thirsties and bummies covers.

They are all different and it comes down to both learning as you go and trial and error, as well as cost. prefolds are much cheaper than fitteds. I found fitteds to be easier to use. good luck! Within a few months you will totally get it and find your own prefernences

#38 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 06:15 PM

I have been cloth diapering my 13 month old pretty much since birth and went through a lot of trial and error in the beginning before finally figuring out what works and doesn't and now I've got a system down that has worked really well for us. I use primarily prefolds with covers and some "doublers." Doublers are basically just skinnier inserts that allow you to add extra layers for overnight diapering without quite as much bulk. I use Snappi's with the prefolds - they are like using diaper pins and help provide extra leak protection and hold the diaper in place. I got all of my prefolds and doublers used at baby thrift stores. Most of my covers I have also gotten used - however if buying used covers be sure to check the elastic and make sure it is not worn out and still pretty stretchy. Covers with leg gussets such as thirsties, green-earth and pro-wrap seem to offer the best leak protection. Thirsties are my favorite and are reasonably priced new and come in two sizes. Be wary that diapers that claim to fit a baby from birth to potty training often do not, especially with bigger babies. When diapering be sure that the prefold is all the way inside the cover and none is sticking out. Covers can be aired out and reused several times unless soiled. Currently I have about 12 covers and about 35 prefolds, plus a dozen or so doublers. Adding vinegar to the rinse cycle helps break down ammonia in the diapers.

#39 of 45 Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Those videos are great!  Thanks!!!

I'm also looking at Best Bottom diapers.  Anyone have any experience with those?

http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=1899

#40 of 45 Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Will someone please help me? I'm 53 and will be a first time gramma.I don't understand these new cloth diapers when I cloth diapered my childern I had cloth diapers with diaper pins and rubber pants. I don't understand these new cloth diapers, liners and those pants that go over them.Can someone please help me. I was the one who talked my daughter into cloth diapering the baby and now I don't know how to show her how to use them or even what kind to get. HELP!!!!!!!!!! 

#41 of 45 Old 06-18-2011, 11:33 AM

I used a diaper service for about a month when I first had my dd.  Gift Certificates for the service were bought as shower gifts and it was nice to be able to cloth diaper but not have to worry about washing them the first month.  If there is a service near you, I would highly recommend it.  I decided to cloth diaper for various reasons, mainly the cost.  This is why we are using prefold diapers and thirsties duo covers.  One size diapers were way to small for my girl for the first 6 weeks of her life but the duo covers worked great.  We rented covers for a few weeks from the service but weren't happy with them.  I would highly suggest trying to find a store near you if you want to look at the products in person.  Diaperswappers.com is also a great website if you don't mind buying used.  I think we have 4 dozen prefolds (this is what my mom suggested) but could have easily got away with having less.  You need to decide how often you want to wash them.  They recommend every other day but I only wash twice a week.

Hope this helps!

#42 of 45 Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy1 View Post

Will someone please help me? I'm 53 and will be a first time gramma.I don't understand these new cloth diapers when I cloth diapered my childern I had cloth diapers with diaper pins and rubber pants. I don't understand these new cloth diapers, liners and those pants that go over them.Can someone please help me. I was the one who talked my daughter into cloth diapering the baby and now I don't know how to show her how to use them or even what kind to get. HELP!!!!!!!!!! 

Hey Tammy! 

I'm a FTM and haven't had my baby yet so I'm not a whole LOT of hel but I can give you a few websites that I found helpful. I'm a visual person so the world of prefolds was very daunting for me. This one has step by step pictures of the various folds for prefolds

Folds for prefolds

I found starting there the most helpful. There's a bunch of other pages you and your daughter can use to learn about prefolds. There are diapers out there now that are All in ones, would those be easier for you guys? I haven't gotten my hands on any of those and will only be using them at night but if you check out the Fuzzibunz website that may also be a good place to start for All in Ones. It's very overwhelming with all the different brands and styles out there. For me once I figured out if I wanted prefolds or AIOS, I was able to break down my "learning process". I know I still have a long ways to go as far as learning but it's less overwhelming knowing which type of diaper I am going to use. 

Are there any stores by you that you could go and talk to someone? I live about 2 hours from any CDing store but once I placed my order and had to call with questions I felt comfortable calling in and asking. 

I know I'm not much help but I hope I've given you a less stressful starting point. The ladies on the boards are also super helpful! Good luck and I really hope it all works out for you guys!

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

#43 of 45 Old 06-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I thought my daughter was clueless when I suggested she use cloth diapers, but I guess it was me. Never thought things would change so much. Thanks again.

#44 of 45 Old 06-18-2011, 02:38 PM

I've diapered three babies with 3 different body types. I used the same diapers for all 3; Chinese cotton prefolds, with a snappie to close it and a bummis wrap to cover. My initial purchase was $120 Canadian. I bought the next size up on Ebay for $60 and that was all I needed until they potty trained at 2.
#45 of 45 Old 09-20-2012, 04:07 PM

I agree regarding green mountain. I'm not familiar with the second website. I bought all my organic prefolds from green mountain when my little one was five months old. I had tried a ridiculous bunch before trying prefolds. I bought the brown edged diapers, which still fit my 23lb, 31 inch toddler. :) So we've gotten quite a bit of use out of them. I purchased 18 and that's been a great number for us, as I didn't want stinky diapers sitting around. If you travel much or can go longer between washing, then definitely purchase more. I invested in 6 snappies and because f the way I pull on them, some have broken, but I still have three that are in great shape. I expect they'll last until my little one is potty trained. As for covers, I like the little beetles pants for winter and the wool shorts for summer. NOTHING I tried before these prevented leaks. Wool is amazing at preventing leaks and they have held up very well to washing. If they're not washed on gentle cold cycle, they do shrink up a bit. Then laid flat to try for a day and they're good to go, no lanolizing necessary. I tried lanolizing it was  a mess I didn't want to take the time to do. 

Tiny Birds Organics is where I bought my soakers, but they're no longer operating through the site. Instead, you can find the shorts here, on etsy. 

I hope that helps. I tried all-in-ones, polyester covers, and nothing felt as safe and natural as what I shared about above. Also keep in mind when you're making your selection that organic is a better option, too. Cotton is the most pesticide laden crop because it is so susceptible to little critters that eat the cotton. All those chemicals, naturally, remain in the fabric and then against your babies skin. Affordable organic options are available on green mountain, and little beetles are also organic, I believe.

Tags
Cloth Diapers , Diaper , Diapering , Bummis Organic Cotton Prefolds Diaper , Thirsties Duo Hemp Prefold White

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page