Cloth diapering - So confused.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to cloth diaper, I really do. I have planned on it before even thinking of conceiving (Im a planner) and now that Im 5 months a long Im trying to get a list of what I need to get started and make some purchases.

And boy am I flipping confused, every website I look at says I need different things and different amounts and have tons of ads which makes me think its all marketed and Im just getting really frustrated.

So, Im asking you oh wise mothers...what do I need to get started and be prepared for a newborn?

Are then pre-assembled kits out there for this purpose that would make this easier for me?

I think I want pre-folds with a cover rather than an all in one but Im open to your opinions as this is my first experience with cloth diapering and a kid of my own.

Thanks ladies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM

I felt the same way!!!!

I finally just ordered small prefolds. I skipped the newborn size because they are so small, and some babies are born too big for them!

I also ordered four covers, I got four different kinds to see which one I liked best, we actually usually rotate between my two favorites, with the other two as back up if there is a poopsplosion.  They make covers that grow with the baby and that is what I got. I found I prefer velcro to snaps.

I use the "snappi" attachments instead of pins to hold them in place.

So for us, prefolds and covers worked out just fine. I was too overwhelmed with the other options.

I did, use disposables for the first week when I was really overwhelmed with having a baby. Just letting you know. I felt guilty about it but it let me not feel so frustrated when I was having trouble learning to diaper a tiny baby while totally exhausted.

#3 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for this reply, I work in childcare and had to laugh that someone else uses the phrase poopsplosion!

I have been debating about the grow with me covers so its good to hear someone else likes them too.

#4 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM

thirsties are really popular covers. I have covers with prefolds as a back up stash but I mostly use pockets called fuzzibuns and all in ones called kushies. The pockets are somewhat like a regular diaper except they have snaps and a big pad that you slide into the pocket at the back of the diaper. These are a fleece type diaper and don't hold as much pee as the kushies and tend to make the baby a bit stinky. At night I use the kushies because they don't require a change in the middle of the night. These are a lot like a regular disposable diaper. HTH

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#5 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 PM

We went with fitted diapers plus covers.  I found these to be very user friendly and the two (diaper and cover) give extra protection with those explosive poops, they hold anything in.  They are a bit more expensive than prefolds but I got ours on a local craigslist so the cost was not too bad.  I really don't think disposables would have been much easier for me.

#6 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 01:16 PM

I started using cloth diapers for the first time on baby #3 last year when she was about 6 months old.  When I started looking into it I was totally overwhelmed and had no idea what to try.  I ended up doing a cloth diaper trial program through Jillian's Drawers: http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10

I'd highly recommend the trial program once your baby comes.  Their program also came with very detailed step by step washing instructions for each of the diapers in the shipment so there was no way I could mess it up.  It was so helpful to be able to try all of the different kinds of diapers and it took me less than a day to figure out which ones I liked and which ones I didn't.  I ended up stocking up on BumGenius 3.0 one size pocket diapers and have been pretty happy with them except the time it takes to stuff them all once I wash a load.

#7 of 45 Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I really appreciated it.

I had to go to walmart for some stuff today and as I was wandering through the baby section (drooling over a carseat) I discovered that they had some cloth diapers!

I bought a pack of padded which feel really nice and absorbent and a pack of regular pre-folds which also feel nice, Im going to pick up a few more packs and some covers before the baby gets here and I also might try out that jillian diaper trial.

#8 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyMom View Post

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I really appreciated it.

I had to go to walmart for some stuff today and as I was wandering through the baby section (drooling over a carseat) I discovered that they had some cloth diapers!

I bought a pack of padded which feel really nice and absorbent and a pack of regular pre-folds which also feel nice, Im going to pick up a few more packs and some covers before the baby gets here and I also might try out that jillian diaper trial.

You realllyyy don't want to use Wmart prefolds. Or babies r us target or anywhere else that sells the gerber like ones. They will make you HATE cloth diapers. They don't even work well as burp cloths.
You need to buy prefolds ,Indian or Chinese, from a cloth diaper store or site.
Cottonbabies sells them for a little over $1 a piece, no shipping charge.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=277

And you can get covers on that site, but for a newborn that won't wear them too long you might want to think about buying some cheaper second quality covers since you can start using One size diapers within a few weeks.
Tinytush.com has newborn covers,seconds ,in their clearance section here and there for $5-$6.50/each.

BFing , Cloth diapering , Coffee loving, picture taking, SAHM to Aiden (2/18/09) and Landon (8/26/10) and DH.
#9 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 AM

We have been cloth diapering (CDing) our now 18 month old twins since they were a few weeks old. We started out with prefolds and covers and were very happy. We're STILL using the prefolds we bought back then and they've had fabulously! We've already used many other kinds of diapers along the way and I'm currently loving our flips. I included a lengthy blog post of my own. Please don't be discouraged. Feel feel to message me with ANY questions. I love helping people discover and love cloth!

http://wellroundedhippie.com/2010/06/26/loving-cloth/

#10 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Hi - I found both these websites very helpful just for learning about the options:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/

http://www.maineclothdiaper.com/

I am fortunate, I live close to the second place so I was able to in person and learn about the different options.  But they have great links on that website and if you wanted to call and chat with them, they'd be happy to help you.

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#11 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I teach cloth diapering 101 seminars at natural parenting stores and upon request from friends and family I uploaded the seminar to youtube (in 7 parts).  Sometimes it's really helpful to SEE it all in action.  I go through all the major cloth diaper systems, how to use them, pros and cons, quantities and prices, accessories, and washing.  HTH!

http://www.youtube.com/user/JaimeeGleisner?feature=mhum

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#12 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNmommyBFB View Post

You realllyyy don't want to use Wmart prefolds. Or babies r us target or anywhere else that sells the gerber like ones. They will make you HATE cloth diapers. They don't even work well as burp cloths.
You need to buy prefolds ,Indian or Chinese, from a cloth diaper store or site.

truedat.gif   For great deals on used diapers check out www.diaperswappers.com (it's a forum like this) and don't forget about Craig's List.  A lot of CDers try to sell locally first.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#13 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM

I second the trial package. I think that is a great way for you to see what you really like. Every mom is different, and even every baby can be a bit different. Diapers that fit your first child perfectly may not work as well on your second child. Also, I would definitely suggest checking out the videos that Jaimee posted. It was super helpful for me to actually SEE the diapers that I was going to buy. You may also want to do an internet search for "cloth diapers" and the name of your town. See if you have any stores that might be local that actually sell them!

#14 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 02:57 PM

I'm doing cloth diapers for three years now. When I was pregnant with DD, friends gave me a pack of 12. BumGenius One size pocket diapers. I thought the pocket diapers were overkill at first, but I soon learned to love them.

A newborn usually can't go very far on his/her own, so diaper changing works fine, even if it requires several layers. However, I found prefolds work better with a polyurethan cover than a woolen one, because the runny poop tends to leak out of the diapers. Fitted diapers work fine with woolen covers. DD had very sensitive skin and usually did better with a woolen cover, because it allowed her skin to breath. DS was a very heavy wetter and needed polyurethan covers, because he tended to pee straight through the woolen ones. On his best days, he went through 16 diapers a day. DD was mostly around 10 diapers a day as newborn.

As my children got older, I found prefolds increasingly inconvenient, because they didn't like like still for a diaper change. Changing diapers on a moving target is soo much easier with pocket or one- in-alls. Personally, I prefer pocket diapers to all-in-ones because they move the moisture better away from the child and I can double and triple stuff them to accomodate DS peeing habits.

The one problem with one size diapers is that they usually don't fit newborns for the first month or two. Some brands have a bit wider ranges: Happy Heinies and Butter Bears are pretty good in catching both very small and very big babies. But even with these brands, having prefolds with covers for a newborn, or fitted newborn diapers is often necessary, because the one-size- diapers don't quite fit yet, and a newborn typically needs more diapers than an older baby, so you would overbuy on expensive pocket diapers by putting your newborn in them exclusively. Personally, I find you can never have too many prefolds at hands, they have many uses. I tend to stuff DS's pocket diapers with prefolds, because they are more adsorbent than the inserts they usually come with. I never used the newborn prefolds, the normal smaller ones just do fine, even on small babies (DD was 5.15 at birth).

The amount of diapers I'd recommend: At least enough, so you don't have to wash every day. So as a minimum I'd start out with thirty prefolds plus three covers. For an older baby, I'd recomment about 20 diapers of whatever style you prefer. That amount allows for at least one wash free day and line drying under less than optimal conditions.

I got most of my diapers at Jillian's Drawers.
#15 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM

www.greenmountaindiapers.com has made cloth diapering so easy for us.  they are so helpful and practically hold your hand through all the confusing diapering choices.

what we use for our 4 month old baby (doing laundry every 3rd day):

2 imse vimse organic cotton covers

2 biobottoms wool covers

2 dozen organic prefolds

2 dozen reusable wipes

#16 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I agree that you need either Chinese or Indian prefolds! I would start there, b/c they're the least expensive option, but I have to admit that I did love the fitteds for keeping the poop contained. Maybe do mostly prefolds and a few fitteds to try to see if you think they're worth the extra $$. DS outgrew his prefolds before he ever really used them, but I kept them b/c they make great doublers for bigger kids at night time and when that's over they're great rags. So they WILL get used, even if you decide you don't like them as diapers!

If you are looking for recs for an online store, try www.zoolikins.com. That's where I got all my diapers, and they were so nice and patient and answered all my questions. And they didn't make me feel like they were just trying to get me to buy more. I let them know I was on a budget, and they helped narrow things down and actually removed some things from my order that they felt weren't necessary! (I was in the store, but have since done online orders and always get great service.)

#17 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM

A couple friends of mine have advised getting a couple of 2 or 3 kinds to see what you like. Some sites even offer a variety package where you can order 3 different kinds of diapers at a lower price for that very purpose! A great source is also craigslist. They have tons of options, even new diapers! There's lots of moms who get stuff as a gift or try it for 1 day or never bother and want to sell em! I bought a few from there, but I'll have to wait till October to try em out on our little one's bum:) From what I see, I like the pocket style. I googled "cloth diaper patterns" and I found a few good sewing patterns too. I haven't gotten as far as sewing yet though!

#18 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 PM

My best advice would be to not buy a lot of anything until you try it out & find out what you personally like. As you are realizing there is so much out there.  I started with fitted diapers & covers for the newby stage & they worked very well...I used Bummis & Thirsties. Both worked very well. I buy & sell on Diaperswappers & if i had known about it before i would definitely get my newborn stash from there. Or clearance online sales. They won't be in them that long but you will prob need about 12/day of dipes & 3 or 4 covers. I have a lot of pockets which i really liked in the beginning but got sick of stuffing them & went to AI2 & AIO. Then I went back to fitteds again. lol. I now use fitted with wool mostly. I actually hate velcro & most don't seem to fit DS very well, i can get a much better fit with snaps, esp. side snapping. So that's another factor you think you like something or it will be easier ie velcro & don't esp. when you have to wash & dry it & it sticks to everything. Or I know one poster liked Happy Heiny's & those were the worst fit for my son. The OS are great economically but as one person said they don't fit newborns at all & if you want something that actually fits under clothes you will like sized better, they are much trimmer. It just depends on what your needs are & baby's body type. I ended up getting a little of this & a little of that & selling what i didn't like. Fuzzibunz were one of our favorite pockets too. For a OS diaper they are fairly trim compared to some others. A trial program is a great idea, many online diaper sites offer those & see what you can find on diaperswappers.

#19 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jaimee's Youtube videos are what finally convinced me to cloth diaper.  I started at 11 months old and use Happy Heiny's Organic one size pocket diaper with Fuzzibunz hemp inserts.  I dont like the pocket diapers with polyester fleece because it is petroleum based and right next to baby's skin.  But, although these diapers are a one size, they would be too small for a newborn I think.  Also you could look into the Bioliners by GroVia, which help with cleaning up poop. 

I recommend hemp cloth diapers over cotton because it has natural antibacterial properties and is more absorbant. 

I am almost 4 months along and just as worried about CDing a newborn, because i didnt with my first.  A good disposable is Tushies.

#20 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I teach cloth diapering 101 seminars at natural parenting stores and upon request from friends and family I uploaded the seminar to youtube (in 7 parts).  Sometimes it's really helpful to SEE it all in action.  I go through all the major cloth diaper systems, how to use them, pros and cons, quantities and prices, accessories, and washing.  HTH!

That was the best use of my time...  Oh so very helpful video for this confused first-timer trying to understand cloth diapering options!! :) Thank you!!

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#21 of 45 Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much for this!! I have been so confused about cloth diapering even though I have great friends who try to explain parts of it to me. I just watched all 7 videos and now feel much more confident that I will be able to do it :)

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#22 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM

THANK YOU JAIMEE!!  Your videos are awesome!

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#23 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

Hi - I found both these websites very helpful just for learning about the options:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennylou View Post

www.greenmountaindiapers.com has made cloth diapering so easy for us.  they are so helpful and practically hold your hand through all the confusing diapering choices.

I third this!

We use Green Mountain Diapers prefolds with a snapi and alternate between a couple different Bummies covers (they have a new cover that's $10 and works very well) and a wool cover. I really like their pre-folds are sized so there isn't too much bulk, they also wash nicely. We'll go all night with a cotton pre-fold and hemp liner.

We have 3-dozen and wash every 3 days or so. When I purchased ours they had seconds available, which was a great option for purchasing the 3rd dozen at a reduced price.

They also offer a newborn starter pack.

ETA:  We used disposables for the first week or so and waited for the meconium to pass - we didn't want to try to wash that out! We found the transition poop stained, but breast-milk poop washes out pretty well.

#24 of 45 Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeberry View Post

ETA:  We used disposables for the first week or so and waited for the meconium to pass - we didn't want to try to wash that out! We found the transition poop stained, but breast-milk poop washes out pretty well.

Or you can use flushable liners to protect your diapers.  Line each diaper for the first few days, then peel and flush- no staining.  :)

#25 of 45 Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdjmom View Post

Thank you so much for this!! I have been so confused about cloth diapering even though I have great friends who try to explain parts of it to me. I just watched all 7 videos and now feel much more confident that I will be able to do it :)

Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

THANK YOU JAIMEE!!  Your videos are awesome!

Thank you!  You're both very welcome.  I'm so glad they were helpful!  thumb.gif

#26 of 45 Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeberry View Post

Quote:

Or you can use flushable liners to protect your diapers.  Line each diaper for the first few days, then peel and flush- no staining.  :)

The sun is also AMAZING at getting out stains. Just put them (wet) on the line or even a sunny window for a couple hours and they will be bright white.

Leah :: partner to DH for 15 years, mom to 3 furbabies (2 dogs and a cat) and a new human born 1/10/11! We CD, BW, EBF, cosleep, no circ & (slightly) delay vax. treehugger.gif

#27 of 45 Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 PM

I have to say we used cloth from the very first diaper (well, my DD managed to poop once before we got that first diaper on her, lol) and did not have any issues dealing with meconium.  We didn't do any special treatments, just dumped into a wetbag, then into the washer - cold rinse, hot wash with detergent, and into the dryer.  Wiping it off her bum was the tough job, the diapers seemed to come clean just fine!  Just thought I'd add that in as I often hear about people being worried about meconium on cloth.

We use fitteds and covers in case that makes a difference.

#28 of 45 Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 PM

We tried several different kinds, and had purchased several from Craigslist so our newborn investment would be less. As our local cloth diapering store said, there are the first two months - and then everything else!

We discovered pretty early on that our DS HATED to feel wet, so prefolds and fitteds were not the right option. We chose the all in ones/pocket/one size because the stay-dry fabric keeps most of the wetness away from his skin. We have added hemp prefolds to the nighttime diaper (into the pocket) and it has worked very well. The one-size/adjustable is great too, because it grows with him and was economical. We have Bum Genius, Fuzzibunz, Rumparooz (great for nighttime!), and Softbums all in twos (great for being out in public).

Good luck!

#29 of 45 Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Prefolds with a cover will be the cheapest option out there plus easiest to wash. I like Thirsties covers, get a few in each size. I like Prowraps for NB size. Get some doublers to go with them for extra absorbent, hemp or bamboo is best. The NB prefolds can be used as doublers later and the regular ones as burp cloths, washcloths ect...if you decide you don't like them. I don't think prefolds will ever go to waste, even if you decide you don't like them at first you might later and they are super cheap so you can't go wrong.

If you want to try something else I would recommend a few AIOs for other people to use or when you want to be able to just throw something on while you're out. They're easier and faster, which might be better for daddy or grandma lol. 

If you want to try fitteds, (still require a cover) Kissaluves 0 are good for newborns, they would be a better option for nighttime since pfs might not be absorbent enough at night.

Check out Youtube videos for how to use a prefold.

Join Diaperswappers.com. You can buy diapers on there lightly used or even new for less than new at stores. Plus they will have tons of advice for you.

#30 of 45 Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm cloth diapering my 2 week old, 9th baby, and I am also a fan of prefolds and covers. Seems the simpler I keep things the more I enjoy using cloth. I also like having a few aios/pockets for the diaperbag but mainly use those later on. I also have a dozen Kissaluv 0s for early on just for a little variety, but I really like the pfs best.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Tags
Cloth Diapers , Diaper , Diapering , Bummis Organic Cotton Prefolds Diaper , Thirsties Duo Hemp Prefold White

User Tag List