Detergents? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 06-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got a new detergent in the other day called Redemption Soap, it's locally made here, love it!

#32 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Are the brands mentioned compatible with He washers?  Does it matter?  With our previous washer we used the All Free and Clear without any problems but that one was not He.  

#33 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 AM

I use Country Save in a front-loading He washer. Works very well for me (but ymmv). I make sure to use the smaller amount (man, a box of that stuff lasts FOREVER with a He machine) and I dissolve it in about 3 cups of hot water before putting it in (just like one would with any powder).

#34 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 11:36 AM

I don't find ordering online a hassle either. I ordered two tubs of Charlies Soap before the baby was born he is 4 months old now and I have used maybe half of one container. So ordering soap once a year is so not a big deal to me. It would be MUCH more work to buy something just because you can find it in your local store and end up having to strip constantly.

#35 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

I'm using Charlie Soap and loved it so much I use it on all our laundry. I can buy it at two different stores in my town, both also sell cloth diapers.
#36 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Tide the best
#37 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I use Ecos, which is the only natural detergent in my town.  I also use Green Works oxygen bleach, and vinegar every time I wash them.  And use hot water, the water plus button on my HE washer, and the heavy soil setting.  After awhile, my diapers start to stink a little when DD pees in them, so I have to use a tiny bit of chlorine bleach in the load every few months:(  

#38 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM

I have always used Nature Clean (a Canadian company), not sure if it is available else where?  I use Bummis prefolds with covers (also Canadian) and they have very good customer service. I have still had to strip a few times, after using the same diapers for about  3 years.  I was told that Nature Clean is fine to use, but when stripping that I can also add Bleach, which I did not do. I guess that I would still prefer to use a detergent that has no "unatural" or non renewable ingredients in it.

Either way, here is a list compiled by Bummis on which detergents are ok. On the Bummis site, there is also a great deal of info on residue etc. on their site.

http://www.bummis.com/media/detergent-information.pdf

#39 of 43 Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM

We started off with Charlie's Soap Powder (which we use for everything and adore), but after about 9 months of continual diaper use we found our son was getting rashes and it was from buildup in the diapers.  We switched to Tide Original Powder and he's been rash free since.  For what it's worth, we have a high efficiency machine and town water.

Cady, wife to Patrick (8/2/03) partners.gif and mother to Bradley (11/24/09) jog.gif and little bean (edd 5/31/13) 2ndtri.gif.  Planning our first home birth and looking for any information and advice on the subject!

#40 of 43 Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 AM

We've always used All free & clear and have never had a problem:-)

#41 of 43 Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 PM

I've tried a lot. The cheap Sun detergent works ok if you're on a tight budget. For us, the best has without a doubt been Tide powder. If you don't like the strong Tide smell, you can get the Tide "Free & Gentle). I had absolutely NO LUCK with special CD-only detergents. Most of them don't actually contain any soap. Mystery solved right there as to why they weren't getting my diapers clean.

I really wanted to love Rockin Green because of the packaging and the yum smells, but it just didn't work for us. :(

caffix.gif
#42 of 43 Old 08-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Just reviving this again for some advice. First time CD mom here, (well, will be in December). We'll be washing mostly pockets. I'm in Canada, so it's a bit harder to get my hands on some of the options, but we're heading down for a shopping trip to the states this month, so I wanted to be able to check down there for options. 

I've heard country save seems to be the most reliable. I can't buy it in stores here, but can order the 2.27kg box (40/80 loads) for about $17 online. 

I can also get the Thirsties liquid super wash- approx 64 loads, for $17.50

or... Rockin green-- approx 45 loads, for about $19.95. 

Of these, based on reviews, I lean towards country save, even though I really wanted to try rockin green- mostly because I think it just seems like the 'thing' to do. 

Is there something available in stores in the US (ie target) that I should try since I'm going to be down there? Or stick with ordering the country save online?

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#43 of 43 Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 AM

oooh, I just found the country save for $10 in our city. 

Also, the maker of the diapers I have the most of right now, suggests Allens Naturally. It seems to be quite a bit more expensive, but does anyone have yay/nay reviews?

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page