Detergents? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there!

I am trying to figure out what sort of detergent to use on my diapers. Every source I read seems to suggest some sort of specialty  detergent that I have to order online or something. Then I get confused with all the suggestions about stripping and everything.

I really just want to find a simple detergent that I can buy at the grocery store. Do you all have any suggestions for me? 

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#2 of 43 Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Original Tide. Never had a problem. No stripping, no build-up, no staining that putting a diaper out in the sun couldn't get rid of. 

#3 of 43 Old 05-11-2011, 06:13 PM

We started off with Tide Original Scent Powder.  Then I discovered the internet and all the "rules" about washing diapers.  I went through a variety of way more expensive detergents and now, after 2 years, we are back to using Tide Powder.  :)

Mama to three

#4 of 43 Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Tide. Works for me! I was having a hard time with that one, thanks!

#5 of 43 Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

If you're using prefolds, you can be much more relaxed about your detergent choice.  If you're using premium diapers, I would not be so lax as eventually you will have build up issues that will lead to persistent diaper rash.  It could take months, but it will eventually happen.  Tide Free and Clear is considered okay to use.  But be careful of detergents that are marked "free and clear" or "baby" as these terms do not necessarily mean truly free and clear.  Examples of these would be Seventh Generation Free and Clear, Seventh Generation Baby, All Free and Clear and Dreft. 

My favorite detergent is Planet, which is often available at natural grocery stores.  You might also find Country Save.  But, check out these two sites for complete lists of detergents and how they rate for use with cloth diapers.  Hopefully you can find one you like at your local store.

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoicesataglancepspd.htm  (scroll down to the bottom and click on the type of washer you have for a comprehensive list)

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 43 Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks... I plan on using prefitted diapers and prefolds. I did hear about the planet detergent but I"m not sure if I can find that near me very easily.

#7 of 43 Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I actually buy it by the case from Amazon.  It's free shipping and cheaper per bottle than buying it from a local store anyway!  thumb.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#8 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM

I started with Tide and switched to Rockin Green. I found that once I had the right formula for my water it worked better than Tide.

I agree that if you are using cotton diapers you can be more lax, it's the synthetic fiber diapers that get the build up issues. If you look for a non-enzyme detergent that is clean rinsing you should be okay just in case you do decide to use these diapers in the future. :)

#9 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 PM

We washed our previous diapers in tide. When I switched our stash to new dipes, we started using rockin green and now use Charlies Soap. I can get the Charlies soap at our local earthfare

BFing , Cloth diapering , Coffee loving, picture taking, SAHM to Aiden (2/18/09) and Landon (8/26/10) and DH.
#10 of 43 Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Our original plan was to use Tide free & clear, but DH picked up some of the Kirkland uscented liquid detergent so we have been using that so far (DD is 9 weeks old).  We haven't had any issues yet so we plan to keep using it as long as we don't run into any problems.  We use mostly fitteds, I think it's mostly pocket diapers that tend to have issues because there is usually a stay-dry layer made of synthetic fabric (like microsuede or microfleece).

#11 of 43 Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM

I use Biokleen citrus laundry powder that I get via Amazon's subscribe and save program. It's actually nice to NOT have to lug detergent boxes home from the grocery store. And it's much cheaper.

I've heard Planet is a good brand, and I think I'm going to try that next. I prefer using the same detergent for all clothes and dipes. Having two brands is too much for me. lol.gif

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#12 of 43 Old 05-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post

I use Biokleen citrus laundry powder that I get via Amazon's subscribe and save program. It's actually nice to NOT have to lug detergent boxes home from the grocery store. And it's much cheaper.

Yeah - I don't get why people are so against ordering detergent online.  I have 10 lbs of Biokleen delivered at a time for free shipping and on sale (use it on our clothes) and love that someone else is carrying it home for me!

IME:

-Powders are better than liquids.  They rinse better, esp. in less-than-perfect water.

-Cotton diapers don't care as much, but the covers still are sensitive to detergents.  Many companies will not honor warranties on their covers if you have used something unapproved.

-With pockets, you really need to use a zero-buildup detergent.

-Tide is fine for some babies, but gives other babies bad rashes from the enzymes (it has for my kids.)  I don't recommend it for this reason.  Plus, I am uncomfortable with the chemical additives in it.  We don't use anything petroleum/artificial on our bodies or for any cleaning products.

-If you have soft or hard water, you should really go with Rockin Green's specialized formulas.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#13 of 43 Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Has anyone used Mrs. Meyers on cloth diapers? I use the rest of their cleaning products, and I'm just about to break into the laundry detergent for the first time. I can only buy it in the states, as the shipping to Canada is too expensive, but I'd like to know if I should stock up next time I'm there!. lol 

This is the ingredient listing for the scented one:

PRODUCT INGREDIENTS ARE AT LEAST 97% NATURALLY DERIVED.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Alcohol Ethoxylate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coconut Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Borate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance*, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Abies Alba (Fir) Leaf Oil, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Oil, Protease, Amylase, Lipase, Mannanase, Sorbitol, Alcohol Denat., Potassium Hydroxide, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzisothiazolinone

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#14 of 43 Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to order online but I live in an apartment complex and packages don't get delivered here very well. So I don't want to rely on getting detergent online and then go through a problem every time I need to order something :) 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

Yeah - I don't get why people are so against ordering detergent online.  I have 10 lbs of Biokleen delivered at a time for free shipping and on sale (use it on our clothes) and love that someone else is carrying it home for me!

#15 of 43 Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Has anyone used Mrs. Meyers on cloth diapers? I use the rest of their cleaning products, and I'm just about to break into the laundry detergent for the first time. I can only buy it in the states, as the shipping to Canada is too expensive, but I'd like to know if I should stock up next time I'm there!. lol 

This is the ingredient listing for the scented one:

PRODUCT INGREDIENTS ARE AT LEAST 97% NATURALLY DERIVED.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Alcohol Ethoxylate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coconut Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Borate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance*, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Abies Alba (Fir) Leaf Oil, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Oil, Protease, Amylase, Lipase, Mannanase, Sorbitol, Alcohol Denat., Potassium Hydroxide, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzisothiazolinone

Bad for diapers.  The oils will cause buildup, and it has lots of enzymes (all the -ases.)  Also, the huge amount of unnatural and skin-irritating ingredients are not good for diapers b/c they are going next to the skin (SLS, propylene glycol, fragrance = phthalate, -zolinone.)  Mrs. Meyers, IMO, are all "green-washed" products, with their cute labels and all, and weird chemicals and non-essential fragrances (I have tried the lavender liquid cleaner and it smells nothing like real lavender.)  If you want a whole suite of natural and effective cleaners, try Bio-Kleen.  Everything they make is amazing.  Dunno about shipping to Canada.  Amazon will ship them free here in the USA.

#16 of 43 Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 AM

I use Dropps (buy it at our target) I alos got great results with Tide but it was hard to rinse out and I thought the scents were too strong but the FnC irritated the baby.. Tried RnG that was a disaster. LOVE the dropps.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#17 of 43 Old 05-22-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks, good to know about the Mrs.Meyers detergent. I love the sprays for the kitchen and the all purpose, and for me, they're natural enough, but it's different when I'm dealing with several hundred dollars of cloth diapers! lol I'll see how I like the detergent for our other clothing, but skip it for the diapers. I can get rockin green here for what I think is an ok price, so we'll probably just go with that then. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#18 of 43 Old 05-23-2011, 04:49 PM

I'd try your regular detergent first actually. RnG has been great for many but don't assume it will be that way. RnG did some serious damage to my stash and worse the babies skin.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#19 of 43 Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Up until we switched ot the Mrs. Meyers, we've been using Sunlight. lol. I think I'll probably avoid that on the diapers!

Country save is also avail. at the diaper store here, is that generally a better bet? I know it has good reviews. 

#20 of 43 Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 PM

I have never used it for diapers (baby is not born yet, but we'll be washing diapers soon enough) but I LOVE Country Save for clothes and household wash. I get it from Amazon on subscribe and save, and I'm still on the first case after a YEAR. (I even gave away a box of it to some new parents in our neighborhood!). We wash clothes VERY often, too, and use only rags for household cleaning. I think my total expense for detergent is like $50/year, which seems reasonable to me...

#21 of 43 Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 AM

I second the Country Save recommendation! Best for cloth diapers, baby clothes, and even carpenter husband's dirty work clothes. Cleans well without creepy scents or skin irritation and is very cheap.

#22 of 43 Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 AM

I really, truly, haven't found a diaper detergent (or detergent that could be used on cloth diapers) that I have thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread and I have tried a lot of detergents, both available online and in-stores. My main issue is that no matter what I use I still have to strip on a regular basis or throw some chlorine free bleach in with my stuff on a regular basis. Instead of telling you what you should buy I'll tell you want I avoid. 

-Liquid anything detergent

-Rockin' Green, especially if your child has sensitive skin.

-Anything with scent to it or fragrance oils added...if it smells perfumie skip it. If you try it and your diapers smell afterward there is residue on your diapers and you need to wash them/rinse them until they no longer smell. Clean diapers should not smell like anything (good or bad). 

-Bleach, unless the manufacturer of the diapers you are using OK it.

I have actually used Country Save, both types. They're OK...they get the job done for the most part. Like I said though, I haven't found a detergent I truly, truly love and have decided to use exclusively. I personally look for something with enzymes in it, which is very, very hard to find in cloth diapering detergents. I notice that if I use something with Enzymes my diapers come cleaner faster. My main issue with that is the extra cost of supplementing cloth diapering laundry with an Ezyme if I use a detergent without one. Currently I use bumGenius odor remover when I really need it (because I think it is rather expensive). 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#23 of 43 Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABB View Post

I really, truly, haven't found a diaper detergent (or detergent that could be used on cloth diapers) that I have thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread and I have tried a lot of detergents, both available online and in-stores. My main issue is that no matter what I use I still have to strip on a regular basis or throw some chlorine free bleach in with my stuff on a regular basis. Instead of telling you what you should buy I'll tell you want I avoid. 

-Liquid anything detergent

-Rockin' Green, especially if your child has sensitive skin.

-Anything with scent to it or fragrance oils added...if it smells perfumie skip it. If you try it and your diapers smell afterward there is residue on your diapers and you need to wash them/rinse them until they no longer smell. Clean diapers should not smell like anything (good or bad). 

-Bleach, unless the manufacturer of the diapers you are using OK it.

I have actually used Country Save, both types. They're OK...they get the job done for the most part. Like I said though, I haven't found a detergent I truly, truly love and have decided to use exclusively. I personally look for something with enzymes in it, which is very, very hard to find in cloth diapering detergents. I notice that if I use something with Enzymes my diapers come cleaner faster. My main issue with that is the extra cost of supplementing cloth diapering laundry with an Ezyme if I use a detergent without one. Currently I use bumGenius odor remover when I really need it (because I think it is rather expensive). 

I love enzymes for my clothes but it gives my kids a rash if I use it on diapers.  Wish I could, though.  If you like enzymes, try BioKleen Premium Plus powder - it's faaaaaaaaaaaabulous.

#24 of 43 Old 05-30-2011, 05:23 PM

We use soap nuts for all of our wash, diapers, stinky soccer uniforms, bedding, clothes...everything. I have never had any problem with build up in my diapers and a year later have never needed to strip them ( I use a combo of bumgenius, bamboozles and thirsties). There are no chemicals, you just throw the nuts into the wash (in a muslin bag) and take them out before the dryer.

You can get 1 kg on line for about $35 and they lasted me 10 months of laundry for all 3 of us ( you can stretch it even more if you make it into liquid first!)

i try to get everyone I know to use them, they are eco friendly, good for the babies and good for the pocket book!!

#25 of 43 Old 05-30-2011, 05:34 PM

I used soap nuts and they were one of the worst things we used. They did not clean well and left the diapers dingy looking. 

As far an Enzymes go, something like BioKleen and even the bumGeniu odor remover is going to be different than the Enzymes in the detergents, it's another reason why I prefer a detergent with Enzyme IN it. bumGenius odor remover is a class of it's own (I think anyway) since they're microbes...if you have a problem with one you may not have such an issue with the other.

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#26 of 43 Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 AM

Charlies soap and Country Save.

#27 of 43 Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM

How do you make the liquid and how much do you use in the wash? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda1 View Post

We use soap nuts for all of our wash, diapers, stinky soccer uniforms, bedding, clothes...everything. I have never had any problem with build up in my diapers and a year later have never needed to strip them ( I use a combo of bumgenius, bamboozles and thirsties). There are no chemicals, you just throw the nuts into the wash (in a muslin bag) and take them out before the dryer.

You can get 1 kg on line for about $35 and they lasted me 10 months of laundry for all 3 of us ( you can stretch it even more if you make it into liquid first!)

i try to get everyone I know to use them, they are eco friendly, good for the babies and good for the pocket book!!

Mommy to two beautiful children & Cloth Diaper Trader co-founder.
#28 of 43 Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM

I use regular old original Tide powder after reading from a reputable AIO product website that it was fine to do so.  While my babe has had no problems with rash or other signs of irritation, I can tell the inserts are starting to feel a little rough, sort of "crunchy."  I know this for sure because we use bumGenius 4.0s and use the bigger inserts.  The newborn inserts (mostly unused - we bought the AIOs at 4ish months old) are soooooo much softer than the big inserts.  After I'm done with this box I'm going to switch to Tide Free.  I want to head off any problems and like you, OP, would like to be able to just pick up the detergent at the grocery store.

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#29 of 43 Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 PM

I have actualy never made the liquid...its on my list of things to do some day. The instructions are usualy on the package though. I know it consists of boiling a few nuts with water for a few hours, you can do it in the crock pot too.

Sorry I cant be of more help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessieO View Post

How do you make the liquid and how much do you use in the wash? Thanks!

#30 of 43 Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM

I was using Arm & Hammer but when we had some problems with absorbency, Bummis gave a list of approved detergents. I can't remember the list now, but I settled on Seventh Generation Free. I get about 50 loads from one bottle. I called 7th gen and spoke to them about this and they threatened to get rid of the detergent. I asked them to reconsider as it was the best soap I could find. (I did order 2 cases from my coop asap) In speaking to them they did tell me that the 7th gen BABY detergent had twice as many enzymes as before to help with stain fighting.

Me, I use prefolds and diaper covers. I have used pocket diapers as well as some AIOs. I would not recommend harsh detergents to wash diapers. The PUL will breakdown as will the elastic. And if you have fleece or wool diaper covers, this may lead to some problems as well. This will compromise the absorbency. Now if you are only diapering one child it hardly matters until they are older. If you are diapering several or looking to sell your diapers at the end, I would use something the diaper cover people (like Bummis) recommend.

As far as cleaning diapers go, I have found that the soak cycle makes all the difference. I make sure to never fill the washer more then half way. I soak with Baking Soda for about 20 minutes then I do a soak with Hydrogen Peroxide for about 10 minutes. Then I wash with soap and vinegar as I'm sure you do. I have found the Hydrogen peroxide does take out the smell which is a sign of bacteria. Since I am diapering two at the same time, I find this is the best way to keep some rashes from jumping or starting in the first place but also find that I don't have to have two bins or whatever.

In finding a soap to wash your diapers, you want something with no color enhancers, optical brighteners, or enzymes. Anything you can find that fits should be able to wash your diapers and covers.

Good luck.

m

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page