Can I use inserts (instead of prefolds) with covers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-21-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi...I'm new to cloth diapering and am just starting to build up a stash of diapers.  I have some prefolds and covers and two pocket diapers.  I'm using prefolds with covers during the day and a pocket (fuzzibunz) stuffed with the insert and a tri-folded prefold at night; however, both of those options seem very bulky.  I was wondering if I could just use one or two diaper inserts (that typically go in pocket diapers) inside a diaper cover, instead of tri-folding a prefold in a cover, to reduce bulk.  Thanks!

#2 of 8 Old 05-21-2011, 02:48 PM

Well, if you're talking about microfiber inserts - those aren't supposed to go against the skin.  If they're cotton or hemp inserts, it's probably fine.  

You can find contour diapers out there that would be in-between having a prefold and insert, so you might want to look at those.  I'm thinking kissaluvs, bumkins, and loveybums make contour diapers - they fit especially well with their covers, but are totally useable with others.

To some degree, cloth diapering is just going to be bulky.  

#3 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

IMO, prefolds and covers are really trim, esp if you use a Snappi.  At night, I'd get some Joey-Bunz (hemp inserts) to use inside your FB to keep them trimmer.

Cloth is almost never going to be quite as trim as a sposie (though you can get pretty close), but that's okay, b/c cloth is better in every way.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#4 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM

With cloth comes bulk, some are less bulky than others. The inserts that come in pockets are mostly mf and can't be used against the skin. Thirsties sells a very trim and absorbent insert that is a hemp cotton blend, something like that would work great. smile.gif
Amanda_Reyasmom likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 PM

Osocozy flats in a cover are very trim, like sposie trim!
#6 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The type of prefold matters. I find the gmd fit very similar to disposies. It's those super long ones that you have to fold down so much really add to the bulk

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#7 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I got my prefolds from Cotton Babies and the Chinese prefolds aren't nearly as bulky as the Indian.  I'll look into gmd prefolds...any idea if I can get those anywhere other than their website? I hate to pay $6 in shipping just to try out 2 or 3 prefolds (I don't want to buy too many of anything til I figure out what I like; plus DD is 17 lbs right now so kind of in between sizes).  I'll also give flats a try...are they much more difficult to fold than prefolfds?

#8 of 8 Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsMama View Post

Thanks!  I got my prefolds from Cotton Babies and the Chinese prefolds aren't nearly as bulky as the Indian.  I'll look into gmd prefolds...any idea if I can get those anywhere other than their website? I hate to pay $6 in shipping just to try out 2 or 3 prefolds (I don't want to buy too many of anything til I figure out what I like; plus DD is 17 lbs right now so kind of in between sizes).  I'll also give flats a try...are they much more difficult to fold than prefolfds?

No, GMD are only available through her site, but plenty of sites now have shorter prefolds.  Don't fuss over which brand you get, b/c they ultimately all come from the same place.

Flats do require special folding unless you are not using a Snappi or pin.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page