Cloth diapering for newborn only that small for a minute! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my first 6 years ago and for the first 6 weeks used a cd service. This was great because my daughter went from just under 7 pounds to 12 pounds in those 6 weeks. She continued to gain almost a pound a week for a while. So I never bought small diapers. I am due with my second in a few weeks. CD service in my town closed down recently. Just found out today (I checked their website less than a month ago!) I'm assuming she'll grow like her sister (same genes and same birth month, it's hot here in June, she'll guzzle that breast milk!) What diapers should I get? I was thinking some prefolds and some fitted or aios that are one size fits most. Do those fit newborns? And I can't remember what it's like to diaper a newborn.

#2 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned

I got AIO, pockets and some pre-folds with covers and none of them worked on my newborns.  They were all too big.  The prefolds were the closest.  

I ended up using disposables for the first two weeks with my daughter (8 lbs) and for a month with my son (7 lbs).  They were just too small for the dipes.

Plus - can you get meconium out of cloth dipes?  I have an irrational fear of meconium.  Grosses me out in a way that poop does not.  

#3 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

What scares you about meconium? The staining? I was in such a newborn love haze I honestly can't remember meconium. 

#4 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 AM

You can totally get meconium out of cloth. However, we used sposies for the first 5 days so that I could really focus on nursing.

I recommend the small thirsties covers and gerber three ply organic prefolds. They are super trim even after you trifold them. I only bought two covers and I would hand wash one and hang it in the bathroom while she wore the other one. I didnt have a super pooper, so it was super easy for me. Id have her wear cover #1 for 4-5 diapers and then cover #2 for the next 4-5 diapers and then cover #1 at nighttime. I also spent a lot of time with a naked baby, because I loved to wrap her up naked.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 AM

If you're really wanting fancy diapers, sized are going to work much better on a newborn than OS (I only ended up with small/nb sizes because I found a great stash on our craigslist for dd2, I too find you end up spending too much on diapers you can only use a month or two).

Personally, I really love flats on a newborn.   They have the bonus of being able to use for longer, and in larger sizes I continue to use them as doubers or for stuffing pockets.  Smaller prefolds and a lot of smaller fitteds do work out well on newborns, though.  

#6 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM

I personally will be using a mix of newborn sized prefolds and homemade newborn sized snappiable fitteds for the next baby.  The newborn sized prefolds will become doublers as baby gets older and into larger prefold sizes... at which point I'll be using whatever size pf's s/he is, flats and OS snappiable fitteds (a mix of BSRB's and homemade)  all with wool longies and shorties as covers.

I had no issues getting mec out of my first kiddo's diapers (a mix of KL0's and BG size small AIO's)  just by doing a good cold rinse before washing on hot and sunning to dry/remove stains.  All my KL0s still look practically brand new (also, they are for sale :D:D:D)

#7 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Infant prefolds and Size 1 Thirsties Duo Wraps were my favorite cheap diapers with my newest baby.  He was 8.5 lbs and they fit until about 4 months.

sunma likes this.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#8 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Most OS diapers don't fit a NB.  They start fitting around 11-12 lbs, 6-8 weeks.  Rumparooz fit first, then FB, then BG.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014

Tags
Sassy Cloth Diapers , Knickernappies Cloth Diapers , My Drop Cloth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page