Mothering Forum banner

Length between washing

541 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  chel 
#1 ·
Hi mamas,

What is the longest you would go between washing your dipes? Do you do it routinely every couple of days, or do you wait until you are running low?

DD is getting close to potty learning and just not going through as many dipes/day, and we have started to collect a few more OS pocket dipes in preparation for having 2 in dipes at least through the summer. I have noticed that we suddenly don't "have to wash" until it has been 4-6 days. I have also noticed that we are having more amonia stink issues. Are these related?

I hope I'm not being confusing...

Thanks.

#2 ·
I used to wash every couple of days, any longer than that and the unwashed nappies did begin to smell. I found that once they got stinky it took a few washes and sessions in the fresh air before they seemed really fresh again. In winter when we had to use the dryer I would wash most days. Washing dried in the dryer never seems to be a fresh to me.

Once we were using less nappies (and now we only have 1 overnight one) I give them a prewash and then stick other washing in with them to make up a full load. I do the same with other clothes when the kids have accidents.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbride View Post

Hi mamas,

What is the longest you would go between washing your dipes? Do you do it routinely every couple of days, or do you wait until you are running low?

DD is getting close to potty learning and just not going through as many dipes/day, and we have started to collect a few more OS pocket dipes in preparation for having 2 in dipes at least through the summer. I have noticed that we suddenly don't "have to wash" until it has been 4-6 days. I have also noticed that we are having more amonia stink issues. Are these related?

I hope I'm not being confusing...

Thanks.
Sometimes I do wait quite a few days to wash...yes, like 4-6 days. Washing every other day, as some people do, would be such a small load for my gigantic washing machine...it seems like wasting to me, so I wait. Yes, I do get some ammonia stink from time to time. When baby #2 gets here I probably will be able to wash more often due to having more dirty dipes. Maybe I just have a large stash and that's why. I use a kitchen trash can for our diaper pail (13 gallons, maybe?) and I wait until it's pretty full.

#4 ·
I have a Haier mini washer and loved it until it broke about a month ago! I would use it as a diaper pail and when it got full I would wash. It would take two or three days to fill up with 6lbs of diapers:) Now that I have to go to the laundry mat I only wash once a week and wash twice when I wash just to get everything clean. It is such a PITA to go to the laundromat. Luckily my washer is still under warranty but it's taking forever for the repair part to get here!

Oh and I add about a lb of baking soda to keep the stink away over the week!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.