Help finding a nighttime diaper - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am growing frustrated with nighttime diapering our babe and am looking for suggestions. She is 6 mos, a big girl and SUPER heavy wetter. She is going through 9 layers of microfiber at night and still leaks all over the bed! Since we are co-sleeping, this is SERIOUS. I will NOT change a diaper in the middle of the night for anything but poop, so if that's the only option, forget it!

Day time usage is 3 layers of microfiber and 2 layers of hemp, and sometimes, they still leak. I have tried as many as 9 layers of hemp and still leaks! We use Bum Genius 3.0's during the day on the biggest setting. She has been leaking through diapers her whole life, even as a newborn, she would saturate the "newborn" inserts and cause leaks.. We are not new to cloth diapering. We cloth diapered her older sister without problems. The problem is definitely not repelling, as the inserts are SOAKED! I have resorted to disposables at night, which still leak sometimes, but are a little more consistent. I did have to go up another size in disposables to minimize leaks, but we're still leaking. We're up to size 4 disposables. So here's the questions:

1-could it be the size of the covers or her legs? We use the bum genius 3.0's. They fit well (with no gapping), but would a bigger cover be better? She does have SUPER chunky baby legs. If so, what do you suggest?

2-How many inserts are too many? Is there a better or other choice? I thought hemp was the way to go, but it failed too.

3- I've been working on knitting up some wool covers in hopes this may help (putting them over the inserts and diaper as a back up), but am I wasting my time?

I need an answer. I am not opposed to buying something different, but I need solutions that have worked for other people, as I am done trying things on my own. We have also tried Lollidoos night time diapers with different amounts of inserts to no avail. And Kawaii night time. Please help!

-Tibeca

#2 of 17 Old 06-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Personally I do not understand refusing to change the diaper once in the night. Can't be all that great laying there in all that pee.
If she is still feeding in the night, then she needs changed. Shouldn't take more then 1 minute to do.

We have our changing area set up next to our bed, and we use a tiny book light so as to not allow a brighter light to wake us up all the way.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#3 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 AM

I don't change diapers in the middle of the night, either, because it wakes up my LO too much.  If he's asleep, he doesn't mind the wet diaper (trust me, during the day, he makes his displeasure known Immediately -- if he noticed/minded it at night, we'd know it).  He's STTN at 7 weeks -- a feat his sister never managed until she was nearly 2 years old.  Sometimes he'll still wake long enough to nurse but then fall right back asleep -- I'm not going to mess that rhythm up by waking him completely with a diaper change!  So, I understand the OP's concern about finding a nighttime diaper that works. 

Honestly, we had to go to 'sposies for a short time with DD because NONE of our cloth diapers would hold her nighttime pee, and I was sick of waking up in a puddle of toddler pee every night.  Yuck.  But she grew out of that and now is back in clothies at night.

One thing you might try is actually DOWNsizing your BG's at night a bit.  I was using mine on the biggest size for DD, but found that they leaked less when I snapped them down one size.  Because they're microfiber, they aren't naturally as absorbent as natural fibers, and they need to be sort of pressed right up against their bodies in order to absorb well.  That's what it seems like to me, anyway.  Anyhow, might be worth a try -- if 9 layers of microfiber aren't working, some combination of microfiber and natural fibers, plus a snapped-down diaper, might help.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#4 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Pockets rarely work at night for heavy wetters.  Currently, I am using a Thirsties Duo Fab Fitted (stay-dry for all-night comfort) plus a Joey-Bunz plus a Thirsties Duo Wrap.  Another combo I use is a Green Acre Designs one-size semi-fitted (also stay-dry) with 2 Joey-Bunz inside plus a Thirsties cover.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#5 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca View Post

3- I've been working on knitting up some wool covers in hopes this may help (putting them over the inserts and diaper as a back up), but am I wasting my time?

I love wool for overnight.  Have had great success with sustainablebabyish fitted + wool covers for overnight.  

I haven't had luck overstuffing BG 3.0s b/c the stuffing causes the legs to gap, resulting in leaks.  I agree that hemp is usually really great - Hemp Babies are pretty thin for using multiple layers, but again, I've only really done one microfiber + 2 more inserts.  Beyond that and it's too much, so I move to wool pants so there is no gap.  

Good luck!

Shop at Weedle Weedle for cloth diapers, nursing pillows, swaddle blankets and more!

Free Shipping on orders over $75!  Customer Rewards!  

#6 of 17 Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 PM

I've tried everything for overnight (on 3 kids!) and I've found wool to be the only thing taht really works reliably. Currnetly we use Disana, but we have also loved our aristocrat and stacinator in years past.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#7 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM

We used Motherease bamboo one-size fitteds with a Motherease bamboo insert, and a Motherease Airflow cover (or sometimes a Bummis cover or Thirsties cover) which is something like 10 or 11 layers of bamboo - which is very absorbent! The Airflow cover was excellent (we'd very occasionally get leaks from the Bummis covers, but never the Airflow) because it helped with air circulation inside. The only problem is that they only come in one size, which DD grew out of at about 15 months. DD was an all-night nurser for almost 2 years, and so would wet constantly all night, and we very very rarely had leaks. We used prefolds during the day, but we were so pleased to have come upon this system for nights. 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#8 of 17 Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM

We also use a MEOS bamboo with a bamboo booster, and I tuck in a thin hemp booster as well (DS is a frequent night nurser and we seem to need the extra hemp). They fit DS well at 16 months still - he's long and lean - but I can see they won't last until night-training. I put an Aristocrats cover over it. It's about as bullet-proof as it can get.

I have a couple of other night-worthy diapers - a Bamboozle STRETCH with a hemp booster, and a Wild Mountain Mommies (WAHM) one-size fitted. Both of these with a wool cover also work really well. The diapers are usually sopping by morning, but no leaks, and DS' skin looks good.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#9 of 17 Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM

Oh, I just re-read my post and it was a little unclear - the ME Airflow cover was grown out of at 16 months, but she's still wearing the MEOS bamboo diaper to this day (27 months) and should fit it until we put away the diapers for #2. She's mostly dry at night now, so here's hoping it's only a few more months!

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#10 of 17 Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 PM

OP, don't know the particulars of your situation, but here we sometimes team up for nighttime. DH will change the diaper while I nurse so he doesn't fully wake up. We use prefolds and at 6 months now, he does let us know his discomfort at night by wiggling and not nursing well. both get immediately resolved once he is dry.

DS 12/2010 bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif
#11 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM

I use Lollidoo overnights, and have never had a single leak. Ever. I use 3 inserts at night. Usually 2 organic cotton and a hemp, but sometimes I use 1 organic cotton and 2 hemp because it's trimmer. Still, no leaks.

#12 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 11:49 AM

My daughter is 10 months now and has slept through the night since she was 2 months old. I do not change her diaper in the middle of the night unless I happen to walk in her room and smell a poopy diaper. I know that'll likely give her a rash so I'll wake her up to change her in that case. Otherwise, I don't want to risk waking her. She sleeps very long and peacefully (9-11 hours) if not disturbed. 

Anyhow, we have a couple things that work for her. The Secret Weapon for cloth diapering at night is hemp inserts. We use the Hemp Babies or JoeyBunz inserts (I think they're the "deluxe" ones) that are basically two inserts sewn together on one end. We also have the regular (just one insert) and those are good too. We go back and forth, between using sposies and cloth overnight.

This is what we do most of the time lately:

- Huggies Overnight diaper, one size up form her regular size (which is 3; so for the overnight we use a 4). I generally prefer Pampers for sposies, but the Huggies Overnights do work better IME than the Pampers overnight version. Sometimes I'll put a Bummis or Thirsties cover over a sposie with a hemp insert or small pad-folded flat or prefold inside the cover (outside the sposie).

If you just want to use cloth, here are the cloth combos that last all night for us:

- Fuzzibunz Medium or One-size with the included microfiber insert and a deluxe hemp insert stuffed behind it.

- Tots Bots Easy Fit AIO with a hemp doubler stuffed in the back.

- BumGenius 4.0 or AIO with, again, the hemp doubler stuffed in the back.

- The organic Flip inserts also hold a crazy amount of liquid, but I don't like to use those in a cover as much overnight unless I have a stay-dry insert on piece of stay-dry fleece on top of it.

caffix.gif
#13 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Mother-ease one size with the doubler and a wool cover has yet to fail! Everything else has. Any MEOS work great. I have the colored, bamboo, organic, stay dry. All work just the same. Sometimes I put the Airflow cover on for night and no problems with that either. 

Good LUCK!

#14 of 17 Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM

We also use the Mother-ease OS for nights with a ME doubler and ME Airflow cover. This seems to be a low fuss system that works great! My DD also is a heavy wetter day & night and still nurses several times during the night. I agree that changing a dipe in the middle of the night wakes DD up and she is horribly hard to get back to sleep.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 5 yrs. love.gif, Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is almost 4, DS is 20 months-we had a wonderful homebirth.jpg, EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to a girl-22 months. 
#15 of 17 Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post

Oh, I just re-read my post and it was a little unclear - the ME Airflow cover was grown out of at 16 months, but she's still wearing the MEOS bamboo diaper to this day (27 months) and should fit it until we put away the diapers for #2. She's mostly dry at night now, so here's hoping it's only a few more months!

Really, even the big Airflow covers?  My 4yo dd is wearing a ME LG Airflow cover right now, and she's not a small girl.

OP, ds (22 mo) wears a Mother Ease One Size diaper with the snap in liner, plus a hemp doubler or a hemp diaper folded in half.  He never leaks.  Before I tried that combo he leaked all the time...stuffing the FuzziBunz or Bum Genius just wasn't working.

Unfortunately dd (4yo) is too big for the Mother Ease One Size diaper, and her diapers started leaking every night recently.  I've ordered her some new covers and will try some different collections of things.  I have found that just using a regular cover and using thick prefolds and hemp doublers is way more effective than all the microfiber in the world.  We do this with dd and a big fleece cover we have...if I put enough natural fiber in there she doesn't leak.

#16 of 17 Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM

There are big Airflows? I just assumed they were "one-size" as the stores that I have purchased them in have always only had the smaller ones. This is great to know for #2! THanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post

Really, even the big Airflow covers?  My 4yo dd is wearing a ME LG Airflow cover right now, and she's not a small girl.

OP, ds (22 mo) wears a Mother Ease One Size diaper with the snap in liner, plus a hemp doubler or a hemp diaper folded in half.  He never leaks.  Before I tried that combo he leaked all the time...stuffing the FuzziBunz or Bum Genius just wasn't working.

Unfortunately dd (4yo) is too big for the Mother Ease One Size diaper, and her diapers started leaking every night recently.  I've ordered her some new covers and will try some different collections of things.  I have found that just using a regular cover and using thick prefolds and hemp doublers is way more effective than all the microfiber in the world.  We do this with dd and a big fleece cover we have...if I put enough natural fiber in there she doesn't leak.

#17 of 17 Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post

There are big Airflows? I just assumed they were "one-size" as the stores that I have purchased them in have always only had the smaller ones. This is great to know for #2! THanks!

Absolutely!  They come inn XS, S M, M/L, L and XL as do their Rikki covers, I believe:

https://canshop.motherease.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=10&cat=Air+Flow%99+Snap+Covers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page