Mothering Forum banner

What's new in the world of covers?

895 views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  kaypea 
#1 ·
We are mostly reusing our diapers from DS with DD, who is three months. The big exception is Medium size covers - the ones from DS are beat to heck and need replacing.

Should I just get more Bummis Super Whisper Wraps? Is there something better? We have Thirsties available locally now, and Super Brites. Am I missing something?

#3 ·
I much prefer my thirsties over my bummis super whisper wraps. with the hidden PUL on the bummis, I'm contantly changing covers with the bummis because they get soaked. I also like the leg gussets of the thirsties.

#4 ·
My favorite covers are my Thirsties. I love them. I like the Super Brites also, but reach for Thirsties first. If they are available, get the Size 2's Duo's, they last a lot longer than the Size 1's do. (Meaning will fit from 5 months - potty training depending on the kid)

#6 ·
I haven't been impressed with covers. My oldest is 10 and actually wish I could get a hold of some I used back then (featherlites).
The biggest" new" thing is one size covers. While nice for the money, I'm not thrilled with how they fit.

Still love my mother ease airflow.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

I much prefer my thirsties over my bummis super whisper wraps. with the hidden PUL on the bummis, I'm contantly changing covers with the bummis because they get soaked. I also like the leg gussets of the thirsties.
I second this. We have Thirsties, Econobum and Super Brites, but the Thirsties are the hands-down best. I like the Duos ok, but I find that the XS-S-M-L sizing makes for a much better fit. My daughter has been in her Thirsties Medium covers since she was 2 months old, and she's 25 months now. I've had to restitch the laundry tabs on a few of them, but otherwise they're still going strong! (In hindsight, I wouldn't really recommend putting the Mediums on a 2-month-old; the Smalls are much nicer for little ones!)

#9 ·
I MUCH prefer Bummis Super Brites over the whisper wraps, more reusability and the leg gusset really makes a difference in leak protection. I found that the PUL on the Thirsties (sized, not Duo, so maybe Duos are better?) was just too light to use with prefolds - the prefold looked ugly and bunchy, even when she was at the top of the size recs for that size. But, that being said, all my Bummis mediums wore out their velcro and the Thirsties, while worn looking, still hold beautifully. I am excited to try the Bummis Super Lites with this next babe.

#10 ·
We also LOVED our Motherease Airflow cover, while DD still fit it. Best cover for nighttime. We were so sad when she grew out of it at about 15 months.

#11 ·
I love our thirsties duos (we're still in size 1) and gen y covers. I also really like the bummis super lites. Generally I find that the bummis velcro comes undone in the wash and has pilled/got stuck to my AIOs. I also find velcro is scratchy and eventually it doesn't adhere near the edges which ends up catching on my clothing when she's hanging out in just her dipe (thirsties and bummis). That's why I Iove my gen y covers - they do up with snaps and there's an awesome print selection.

#13 ·
The Gen-y covers look great - except we like to just trifold our prefolds and lay them in. have you done that with your gen-y covers? It looks like they require a fitted, or snappi, which we don't like to use.

#14 ·
Wow lots of opinions!

I want to get something available locally - the Canada Post strike is supposed to be over soon, but I don't trust them.

My issue with the Super Brites/Lites and the Thirsties is that the sizing isn't the same as the SWW is it? I have Smalls and Larges already bought and I don't want to find myself with Mediums that are already outgrown and Larges that are still too big. How is the fit on the Thirsties and the Super Lites?

I've also never had a problem with the hidden PUL, so it's not a deterrent.

#15 ·
We have our 12-lb kid in the Thirsties and Bummis smalls. Our 2 yo is about 24 lbs and still wears a Thirsties medium -- she started wearing them around 2 months old (they really didn't fit her well then, but didn't leak as long as we pinned or Snappied the prefold). The Bummis seem to run a bit smaller than the Thirsties.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayPea View Post

The Gen-y covers look great - except we like to just trifold our prefolds and lay them in. have you done that with your gen-y covers? It looks like they require a fitted, or snappi, which we don't like to use.
I haven't tried it, but according to their info, you are correct that they recommend a snappi. I think it's because the legs are fitted, but not super tight like the bummis or thirsties. That being said, poop is the issue and not pee. I don't think you'd have an issue with a pee diaper. This is being said by a mom with an immobile baby.

#18 ·
My daughter wore the Super Brites mediums and Thirsties mediums for most of her diaper-wearing career, from about 7 months until now. I have some larges for her too, and they fit better than the mediums at this point (she's 27 months and just shy of 30 lbs) but we definitely still use the mediums that function. Since we used them for so long, the velcro failed on most of them. She just chose to put her diapers away during the day this weekend, so we'll only be using the larges at night for the next couple of months, and then I plan to put those away too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.