Do you use disposable wipes with your cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just started cloth diapering my 15 month old, but I use disposable wipes.  

With disposable diapers, it was easy to just put the dirty wipes in the diaper, fold it all up, and toss it in the diaper trash can, but now it's kind of a mess.

If I just put loose poopy wipes in the diaper trash, it's pretty stinky and messy....but maybe that's just how it goes.  Am I missing something.  I thought of bringing the diaper genie back out, and using that to contain the wipes, but I don't know how I feel about wasting all of those plastic bags now. 

What do you do?

#2 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use disposable wipes with cloth diapers.  I keep thinking I shoud switch to cloth wipes too, but for now I just throw away the wipes in my very small bathroom trash can and empty it everyday.  I always try to fold the wipe with the poop on the inside before I throw it away so it doesn't touch the trash can.  Or sometimes if it is really gross I will flush it. 

treehugger.giflactivist.gif h20homebirth.gif

#3 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 PM
L J

My trash goes out every day, so its not big deal to throw the wipes in the trash can.

Or, you could fold the dirty disposable wipes up in the cloth diaper, put in the wet pail and then wash the dirty sposie wipe with diapers. They come out hole - they do not shred - and then throw them away clean. Or, reused them! Seriously, try one some day - they wash nicely!

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#4 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM

We started with disposable wipes but they were kind of a pain, throwing them in separate places, we were always running out and dh likes to use a bunch of wipes with every change. We switched to cloth wipes about a month ago. Really just some flannel pieces that I sewed around the edges. When dh saw how much better they cleaned compared to disposables he was thrilled. I just throw them in with the diapers although DD is still ebf so it's not as messy. The only thing that we're still working on is keeping them wet so we don't have to wet them every time. We still keep disposables for the diaper bag.
#5 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM

I did this for a long time... I had a seperate trash can behind the diaper pail I kept the cloth diapers in for the wipes. 

#6 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 PM

We do some of both.  When I do use disposable wipes, I just wash them with the diapers and throw them out after they are clean.  Those baby wash cloths work well as cloth wipes, but we also use flannel squares.

Mama to three

#7 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 PM

We used sposie wipes for quite a while and found it to be a hassle.  I had a trash can beside the diaper pail for them.  Finally got cloth wipes fairly recently (just simple 1 layer flannel) and they are much easier to use.  Plus I like that I can dry DD's bum before putting on a dry diaper.

#8 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM

We use flushable wipes (the Pampers Kandoo type) with cloth diapers. It's no big deal to toss the used wipes in the toilet after changing the diaper. When using regular disposable wipes with cloth diapers, I just toss them in the bathroom trash can. I kind of fold the wipe so that nothing yucky is on the outside, if that makes sense. We take out the trash every day or two.

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#9 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM

We have cloth diapered from day 1 with cloth wipes as well.  I find that I just do as you did with our cloth ones as you did with disposables, putting them in with the diaper, then in a pail until wash time. 

'09   
#10 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 04:54 PM

We use flannel wipes that I snipped and tore into squares. Very easy to use the number you need in a dirty change and just throw them in the wash
! Another money saver.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#11 of 11 Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM

we use and absolutely love our cloth wipes (we use the double sided ones from green mountain diapers).

i hated fishing out the disposables after a diaper change and found it to be so much simpler and faster to use the cloth wipes.

we squirt the dry wipe with a homemade solution (tons of recipes are out there), wipe the bum clean and toss both the wipes and diaper in the same bucket, and wash together.

so easy, and no trash!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page