"STOP washing my diapers! Please!" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To all of my very helpful and loving family members:

Please STOP washing my diapers!

I know you want to help.  I appreciate your desire to help.  I would be delighted if you turned your helpful cleaning impulses towards nearly anything else in my filthy house.   My windows, floors, t-shirts and children would all benefit from a good scrubbing. 

But please, for the love of all that's holy,

leave the diapers alone!

Mom, I know you're concerned about your grandchildren's delicate bottoms, but fabric softener will Never Come Out of my diapers and they will never absorb anything again. 

MIL, I know they're stained, but they're diapers.  Poop stains are OK.  Please, please, for heaven's sake, do not soak my brand new FuzziBunz in bleach! 

Dad, thank you for wanting the diapers to smell nice, but that flowery-smelly laundry detergent gives me migraines and gives the babies rashes.  Diapers don't HAVE to smell nice.  They just have to be clean. 

Everybody, just put the diapers in the pail and back away.  I'll clean them.  It's OK.  You don't have to help with this one.  My dishes, however, are all yours. 

Love,

Me.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#2 of 7 Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I don't let anyone near my washer.  I am so particular about all laundry.  OMG I would be livid were I you.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#3 of 7 Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 PM

My mom would have totally washed my diapers- and offered a few times- but I gave her a lecture on more than one occasion, trying to make washing sound complex and intricate, as to intimidate her from trying, lest the diapers be ruined. So far it has worked, save a few prefolds that have been used as burp cloths at her house and gotten thrown in her wash.

Now, as for the rest of our clothes, she's still "helpful" and washes these if she gets a chance, and they come out smelling like scented detergent- not my preference rolleyes.gif

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#4 of 7 Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 PM

:( Sorry you had those problems. Do they know how much cloth diapers cost!!!! Maybe politely tell them that unfortunately some of your things were ruined and you understand that mistakes happen, but if they ruin any more of your things by not following the washing instructions, you will expect them to replace them?

I have specific diaper washing instructions taped on my washing machine, maybe that would help you too?

Or just have them stick to dishes, haha. I too would much rather do the diapers myself and someone else do dishes.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#5 of 7 Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaBreadGirl View Post

I have specific diaper washing instructions taped on my washing machine, maybe that would help you too?

That's a great idea!  It would also solve another problem -- it would (perhaps) prevent the inevitable conversation in which DH stands in front of the washing machine in the basement shouting upstairs to me: "wait, was that soak hot, wash cold?  Or wash cold, rinse hot?  And is it half the recommended detergent, or double?duh.gif 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#6 of 7 Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 PM

LOL

OMG. Spot on, sister!

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 AM

I let my mom wash the diapers in the beginning thinking, we only have one kind of soap and they are flats what could go wrong.

She put them in the dryer dirty because she didn't notice that the wash cycle never ran (the water got turned off somehow).

That is correct she dried the diapers even though they were still dirty.

In our very first ever brand new drier.

My husband lost it (it had been a pretty stressful month for him).

Neither the diapers or the dryer have been the same since.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page