Prefolds falling apart - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been using the same size prefolds for a year or more now.  Some of them are starting to get holes in the first layer (big and small).  I wonder if that is from using a snappi, or we have lower quality diapers, or maybe this is just the life of a prefold. Has anyone else had this experience?

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM

what brand are you using?

It may be the snappy or it could be the brand of prefold.

we have been using our 15 months now and not even a hint of a hole or unravelling.

We use unbleached indian prefolds.

I know some people who use their prefolds through multiple children with no issues.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

They are unbleached Indian, but I got them on Amazon.  They might not be the best quality... Also I think my husband uses the snappy a bit too tight :(  I took the middle snappy claw out to try to prevent more holes.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post

They are unbleached Indian, but I got them on Amazon.  They might not be the best quality... Also I think my husband uses the snappy a bit too tight :(  I took the middle snappy claw out to try to prevent more holes.

Some of ours came from amazon too. They were irregular seconds, but thnakfully no problem so far.

It must be the snappy. The pulling from it being too tight making a hole and then getting even holier in the wash.

Do you have to use the snappi?

With a cover, you should be fine snappi free :)

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if I can get my SAHD to lose the snappy. He is quite set in his ways.  I'll work on it!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM

tell him it will make diaper changes quicker with one less step :)

Old 06-24-2011, 01:38 PM

I have three different kinds of prefolds, all bought in 2005, often used with Snappis, mostly line-dried, and now on the third baby.

Unbleached Indian Infant - still in almost perfect condition, with almost no signs of wear and tear.

Unbleached Chinese Infant - some small holes or beginning tears, generally decent condition, but have not held up as well as the Indian prefolds.

"Half-bleached" Chinese Premium - (I ordered unbleached Chinese, but was sent these instead, and did not realize the difference until later, as they were the same colour as the Indian ones, which are lighter than the Chinese unbleached) - these have shredded, they have huge holes in the top layers and are essentially rags, even though they were used the least.

It might be the quality of diapers themselves more than the Snappi, though not use the Snappi can't hurt either.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM

One of the benefits of using prefolds is that they should last forever. The first set we had were Bummis ones borrowed from a friend and they had gone through three children before my son and are still going strong. I don't Snappi mine so I have no idea if that could play a part in it but you should try trifolding! It's SO easy. Just fold it in thrids and you can have the diaper pre loaded for the next diaper change making it that much faster.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:39 PM

I have two dozen GMD rainbow edged prefolds that I purchased for my 1st daughter in '06. My 2nd daughter is currently using them but they won't be passed down to my youngest son - the Snappi use of '06-'07 did them in. Many holes, layers missing, etc. I consider them great quality but no match for a Snappi. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 AM

We just use regular Chinese prefolds from cottonbabies and Snappi for the whole time we've been diapering. DD is 19 months now. I never have seen any holes or anything, they all look like they are in perfect condition. They said DSQ but if I had known anything about the differences of bleached and unbleached I would have looked specifically for unbleached. I like snappis because I just never got trifolding to work once DD started walking around a lot.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

User Tag List